It’s the middle of April and it’s finally going to crack 70 this weekend. Which is a relief considering that up until yesterday I was wearing a winter coat and sweater to the office.
In anticipation of warm weather, I skipped over the BWOF and went with the McCalls 5314 view A (sleeveless).
I did a muslin a few months back, worked out a low bust fit issue and bought a cotton with some stretch from A Fabric Place. After pre-treating, I realized it was 45 inches wide, not 60. At $10 a yard and needing five yards I was feeling like this was going to be an expensive and labor intensive dress (for me at least).
I cut (for the most part) out of a single vs. double layer. There was a post on Gorgeous Things last week about this. Good inspiration for making me do it.
I had no idea how see through this was until I was ready to cut. Originally, I wanted to underline the bodice in brown (so it would be opaque against my skin) and use a visable contrast binding along the edges (like a green or navy gingham). But, the underlining and binding intimidated me a little and I decided to just follow the instructions and get a light brown or white slip since the skirt would also be see through.
Just before starting construction, I also considered doing a french seam because I thought that it would be less visible than sewing and serging, but I also nixed that. I was worried about the seam laying flat with all the curved princess seams.
Now, the top is contructed and the seams on the skirt are complete.
But, grrrrrr. I HATE how you can see the facing through the fabric.
So, I’m 50 percent done (sleeve binding, hemming of skirt and making tie). Maybe by the time I finish, it will be 90 degrees out and I can actually wear it.
And yes, Cosmopolitan is all done, just need to add buttons to the cuff.