Step #2

11 May

On a review last week, I made a rude (but accurate) comment about BWOF.

Well, I was cursing them to no end last night. I started my muslin of these capris from the April edition.

Here are the instructions:

1. Stitch darts and press into the middle. Check.
  2. Stitch the ends of the waistband pieces to the side hip yokes from seam no. 3 to the corner. Clip the seam allowances at the corner. Then stitich the long edge of the waistband pieces on to within 2cm of the side seamline. Press the short joining seams to the hip okes, the long joining seams on to the waistband piece. Check… Wait… Wah??

Are you kidding me with this? Totally didn’t understand. I couldn’t even tell what was supposed to attach were. This is what I get for going to a 2.5 dot vs. my safe 2 dotters. I figured it was one of these three:

I posted my query on Burda English over on Yahoo Groups hoping for some help. Luckily, they did.

Becky had this to say:

Ok, #3 is correct. You have a right angle seam to set in the waistband
to the hip yoke.

The business about pinning and unpinning is to be sure you don’t sew
together what isn’t meant to be sewn together as you do your
topstitching.

However, you need to leave a little of the waistband seam undone at the
side seam, when you attach it to the yoke. That is because you are
going to seam the sides, then finish attaching the waistband. Let me
know if you have other questions, or if I haven’t clearly explained.
This design will have a nice, smooth line in the tummy area that will
be very flattering.

Becky

First IYBecky. I may name my firstborn Becky.

Second. I’m too tired and it’s too late for me to try it out tonight.

Third. Grrrr, I only cut one facing and I’m out of the muslin fabric. Machts nichts.

There are still six more steps once I get past #2. I hope Becky is online on weekends because I have a feeling I’m still going to need her.

On a happy less frustrated note, May BWTF is here!

8 Responses to “Step #2”

1. Elaray May 11, 2007 at 09:52 #

You did exactly what I did when I had BWTF directions from hell. I was trying to attach a notched collar into a front lapel. Those directions had me cursing like I hit my thumb with a hammer — hard. I played around with the pattern pieces until the directions made a little more sense to me. And thanks for the reminder about Yahoo’s Burda English. I joined quite a while ago but then forgot all about it.

2. Elaray May 11, 2007 at 09:52 #

3. Dawn May 11, 2007 at 11:18 #

I often have to pin together pieces, then turn them this way and that, to get at what burda instructions mean. On the bright side, sometimes they are leading you to what is really a much better construction technique than what you’re likely to get in an American (big 4) pattern.

In the May issue I want to make the skirt, 107. It’s very simple, but I can’t figure out how they want those pleats made. And, as usual, the picture is not much help. Fortunately, in this case, it doesn’t matter all that much, I’ll just make pleats however I decide to make them and it should be fine.

4. Dawn May 11, 2007 at 11:18 #

5. narcissaqtpie May 11, 2007 at 18:25 #

My Gosh. I wanted to make these, but I’m scurred now… You’re gonna be an EXTRA Pro when you finish these.

6. narcissaqtpie May 11, 2007 at 18:25 #

7. Nancy Winningham May 14, 2007 at 02:49 #

Well, are they in the UFO pile or are you working on them? I still haven’t started mine. In fact, I needed to add another bottom to my swap since I didn’t want to try to make my dress work as a bottom to every top, so I “cheated” and bought some linen and am using an elastic waist capri pattern from forever ago. But last week I was out shopping and saw these cute elastic lightweight linen capris in some of the stores. Why not? I still plan on making the burdas, but havent even traced the pattern yet.

8. Nancy Winningham May 14, 2007 at 02:49 #