Hmmmm….

26 May

IYDebbie Cook

Per Debbie Cook’s advice, I went ahead and added the sleeves and made up the skirt for BWOF 5-2007-121 (8 million pleats and all). I think she’s right in that the skirt pulls some of the bagginess out of the bodice.

I think the wrinkles are fitting ease like Christina said. I put the sleeves in flat, so if you see any puckers I wasn’t really trying hard. Again, open to thoughts and suggestions….

Ok. I’m driving down to my parents and better get on the road now. Well, after I pack. That’s my suitcase there on the floor. I got a little distracted with the sewing :)

Oh, I am also open to thoughts on how far down to press the pleats.

23 Responses to “Hmmmm….”

1. dawn May 26, 2007 at 01:48 #

I’d say it looks pretty darned good. If I were standing next to you though, I’d pull the armholes up a bit (make the shoulders narrower)and see if those diagonal wrinkles in the back disappear. Is it comfortable in the armholes?

It’s always wise to make a full muslin…including skirt and sleeves. I’ve definitely learned that. I buy muslin at JoAnn’s when it’s half off or with my coupon, and I buy a whole bolt of 38″ at a time. That way, when I need to make one, it’s no hassle, I have the fabric.

I think you should press the pleats to the base of your sacrum. Just my NSHO!

2. dawn May 26, 2007 at 01:48 #

I think you should press the pleats to the base of your sacrum. Just my NSHO!

3. dawn May 26, 2007 at 01:49 #

Forgot to say…burda is known for having wide shoulders…which is what made me wonder about that.

4. dawn May 26, 2007 at 01:49 #

5. cidell May 26, 2007 at 02:17 #

The armholes just fit. Earlier I started playing with the shoulders (before adding sleeves) and found that there was about an inch more I could have taken them in.

But, I had to open up the top of the side seam. When I get back home Sunday, I’ll pin up the shoulder and see what difference it makes.

But Dawn, if I have to redraft the arm and shoulder, you’ll hear my cry from Baltimore. Have never done that before!

6. cidell May 26, 2007 at 02:17 #

7. Erica B. May 26, 2007 at 03:16 #

I agree with Dawn… it looks pretty darn good!

8. Erica B. May 26, 2007 at 03:16 #

I agree with Dawn… it looks pretty darn good!

9. Debbie Cook May 26, 2007 at 03:57 #

I think it looks pretty good too, but … since you asked. ;-)

1. I think your shoulders are more sloped than the pattern’s shoulders.

2. I think you need to take out a little length above the back waist as the back bodice seems to be dipping downward into the waist seam.

3. I agree with Dawn that the shoulders are a bit too wide.

What fitting book(s) do you have (so I can give you a page reference)? These alterations are NOT hard, so don’t start screaming. :-) If you don’t have any fitting books, LMK and I’ll type it out for you.

10. Debbie Cook May 26, 2007 at 03:57 #

I think it looks pretty good too, but … since you asked. ;-)

1. I think your shoulders are more sloped than the pattern’s shoulders.

3. I agree with Dawn that the shoulders are a bit too wide.

11. Debbie Cook May 26, 2007 at 03:58 #

Forgot to say … if I forget to check back here, PM me on Pattern Review or leave a comment on my blog.

12. Debbie Cook May 26, 2007 at 03:58 #

13. Isabelle May 26, 2007 at 08:17 #

It’s going to look great!

14. Isabelle May 26, 2007 at 08:17 #

It’s going to look great!

15. dawn May 26, 2007 at 11:17 #

Oh dear….that’s a long way to hear you crying! Erica’s right, it’s pretty darned good. And if you find that you want to alter the shoulder width, you can take it out of the muslin you already have, then just cut new sleeves and put those back on to check. That’s why you do the muslin with big stitches that are easy to pull out.

On the other hand, if you’re happy with it as is, go for it. You’re the boss. I like pattern puzzles and sometimes I can get carried away with altering patterns.

My favorite fitting book is Sandra Betzina’s Fast Fit. I like the way it’s laid out and it’s easy to find what I need.

16. dawn May 26, 2007 at 11:17 #

17. dawn May 26, 2007 at 11:19 #

Just wanted to edit the first comment today…guess you can’t do that…sorry for the deletion.

18. dawn May 26, 2007 at 11:19 #

19. cidell May 26, 2007 at 12:27 #

Dawn, I’m actually (oddly) looking forward to the challenge. It’s good for me to learn because my sleeves can be tight. I’ve got Fit for Real People and will check it out. Besides, it’s all about improving my skills, right?

20. narcissaqtpie May 26, 2007 at 16:08 #

This is a great post. I am learning a lot here.

21. Kathleen C. May 26, 2007 at 16:53 #

That front is fitting you great! Very nice job on the pleats.
    But I agree with the comments about the width and slope of the shoulders. And that it really isn’t so bad to alter!
    Looking at your work I’d say you can do it!

22. Tany May 27, 2007 at 09:29 #

You are doing fine Cidell! Just embrace this new challenge, you are learning valuable lessons and sharing them with others, that’s great! Thank you for sharing this process!

23. christina May 27, 2007 at 16:42 #

This is looking great. Good that you followed Debbie Cook’s advice to just put the whole muslin together, I agree you may want to make the shoulders a bit more narrow. It is going to look great in that embroidered fabric!