Two Tone Cosmo

2 Jun

The thing about a $20 pattern is you want to make sure you get your money’s worth. Especially when spoiled by 99 cent pattern sales. I have to tell you, the Hot Patterns Cosmopolitan is well worth it.

She’s almost done. I haven’t anchored down the binding, which is why it’s turning out.

Another thing. I thought I made a 10 last time and needed to trace out the 8. I traced out the 8 and realized when putting it away that I had in fact made an 8 last time. And, the reason I had baggy bodice issues before is because I only traced half the dart. DOH.

There’s a lot of fabric / give in the skirt. I think I could size down to a 6 there.

Here’s the original

What’s different:

• I shortened the sleeves and added a cuff after seeing Christina‘s version

I kept the original pattern length for the skirt vs adding 4 inches like I did last time

• I only added 1 inch vs 1.75 inches to the scoop front of the bodice. Not on purpose, I forgot how much I had raised it. It needs the 1.75!
  • I also did a sharper taper so the scoop is wider than last time.
  • This month’s Threads talks about working with jersey. After reading it I chose not to serge the front and back seams together, but I still serged the bodice, waistband, skirt bits together. I just think it looks neater
  • Didn’t hem it. Yet. I’m still deciding on the length
  • Christina sent me a Threads article from last year about knits and binding. I played a little by adding a 1/2 inch binding in the contrast color to the scoop neck. I still need to stitch the binding down, but I don’t have this exact shade of brown and will have to pick some up tomorrow.

A friend pointed out that this dress has the same colors as my bedroom. What can I say? I’m a creature of habit.

Whew. Now, to trace out the BWOF pleated dress in the blue eyelet.

26 Responses to “Two Tone Cosmo”

1. Ariane June 2, 2007 at 21:11 #

The dress turned out great. I like the little clutch you have, did you make that also?

2. madhatter June 2, 2007 at 21:13 #

The dress turned out beautiful!
    I love the combination of pink and brown, and it suits you so well (love the matching purse!).
    I also like the skirt – but I like full skirts anyways, so I don’t think there can be too much fabric in a skirt (and you can wear it and still look so slim! … I’d look like an elephant!).

3. Linda June 2, 2007 at 21:13 #

Gorgeous dress. And I like the brown/pink combination also. It is one of my faves too.

4. cidell June 2, 2007 at 21:16 #

Gah, I have man hands.

I wish I made the clutch. I bought it for more than I should have paid last month and it proceeded to come apart in it’s first week. I got a replacement in a different fabric for free and they told me to keep the first. Which, I repaired.

Love the brown skulls on pinl.

5. Bonnie D. June 2, 2007 at 21:46 #

OMG, I love love that dress. Brown and pink is so pretty. One of my favorite combos, too. Probably only teal / brown is more favorite to me.

6. christina June 2, 2007 at 21:46 #

Beautiful! It looks like a totally different dress than your first Cosmopolitan. *Love* how the contrast colors look. Yes, you’ve got to get your money’s worth out of this pattern – and you are.

7. Vonne June 2, 2007 at 22:52 #

Fabulous dress Cidell ! The pink/brown combo really highlights the design features. Make another and get some extra mileage from your $20 pattern :)The $$$ were well spent.

8. dawn June 2, 2007 at 23:02 #

Absolutely gorgeous! Won’t it be hard to choose b/w them? You’ll have to go out twice as much I guess. Rough.

9. mamafitz June 2, 2007 at 23:07 #

oooh it’s so pretty! i don’t think the neckline is too low, and you have a fabulous bod!

i really need to make this up. i’ve had the pattern for almost a year!

10. Erica B. June 2, 2007 at 23:13 #

So cute! Love the colors!

11. Tany June 2, 2007 at 23:51 #

WOW! Hot dress! Congrats, this dress is a winner and you look stunning in it!

12. narcissaqtpie June 3, 2007 at 01:07 #

WOW! I have hearts in my eyes. You make the best dresses and they look aweome on you. I must, must, must have this pattern now.

13. Carolyn (cmarie12) June 3, 2007 at 01:46 #

Oh Cidell ~ it is gorgeous! I have been popping in and out since yesterday hoping to catch a sighting of the finished dress. Glad I popped back in one more time because it is simply stunning. You have really worked this pattern for all its worth!

14. Sharon June 3, 2007 at 02:35 #

This so so beautiful! I have always loved that color combination and in this dress is really works. The clutch is a perfect touch. You look great in it!

15. Karen June 3, 2007 at 05:27 #

Absolutely LOVE your dress! Would you mind sending me the link on binding? kbrame@sbcglobal.net

16. Nancy W. June 3, 2007 at 06:53 #

Cidell,
    How did you get your blog to view full page? Mine only runs in a a column down the middle of the page, so it cuts off my pictures if I select large. I cant seem to find the answer to my question on the blogger page.
    Thanks,
    Nancy

17. LauraM June 3, 2007 at 11:46 #

Like everyone else when I seen you in the dress all I could think was too cute! just beautiful! I think it looks marvelous on you!

18. Marji June 3, 2007 at 11:54 #

love the color combo on this one and the changes you made. Cute cute dress. I sent you a PM at Pattern Review.

19. rosanne June 3, 2007 at 21:41 #

Wonderful dress Cidell! Not to be redundant, but it’s a great color combo and you look fab-u-lous! And you do NOT have man-hands, woman.

20. rosanne June 3, 2007 at 21:41 #

21. Elaray June 3, 2007 at 22:02 #

The dress looks great. I’m really loving the pink and brown!

I second Nancy’s question about your full page blog. How did you do that?

22. Elaray June 3, 2007 at 22:02 #

The dress looks great. I’m really loving the pink and brown!

I second Nancy’s question about your full page blog. How did you do that?

23. Jessica Goon June 4, 2007 at 02:33 #

I must admit, I did mock the blog, however I love this dress. Let me know when you start taking orders. I’ll even give you the fabric I still have from circa 2000.

24. Jessica Goon June 4, 2007 at 02:33 #

1. An Expensive Muslin « Miss Celie’s Pants - October 12, 2009

[...] leave me off the mailing list the next time you do a buy-one-get-one-free)  and have only made up one (albeit twice). So, I told myself if I whipped through a few this fall I was totally entitled to [...]

2. Sewing for my HP date « Miss Celie’s Pants - January 29, 2010

[...] the Kimono dress remains.  The blue Cosmopolitan got foundation on it that never came out. The two-tone Cosmopolitan was not a fabric match made in heaven and stretched out.  The Kimono dress is just too heavy I [...]