Arrgghh

11 Jun

I think that if buttons are going to be more decorative than functional, because of the 16 inch side zipper, BWOF should tell you so you won’t spend 30 minutes working in slightly crooked buttonholes. I’m just sayin’.

I digress.

I chose the light blue buttons because I thought the dress was kind of boring laying on my sewing table. And Dawn said in yesterday’s comments, pick ‘exciting’ buttons if the dress is plain. Which, I thought it was. But, she is happiest when the buttons are non descript.

Should have listened. Now with the light blue on, I think it looks a little juvenille and the dress isn‘t plain. So, those are going to come off and the navy will go on.

I tried on the BWOF 5-2007-121 dress to check fit and decide if I wanted to make it sleevelss. I think it’s too casual for work sleeveless and I have short sleeves almost ready to go.

At any rate. Note the lovely rip on my front left upper arm bodice. I moved, I heard a rip, my heart sank.

I know better than to clip into seam allowances. I must have just moved wrong and hit a weak spot. The rip is longer than the seam allowance. Erg. I don’t know. I’ve patched it with some interfacing but I’m putting it away for a little bit before I do something more stupid.

Ok. I’m getting a glass of wine. I’m a little mad at myself.

11 Responses to “Arrgghh”

1. Lori June 11, 2007 at 03:16 #

The dress looks fantastic on you. So sorry about the rip in the armhole, hope you can find a fix for that, it is just too pretty of a dress. Good luck.

2. Tany June 11, 2007 at 08:12 #

The sound of ripping gives me the creeps (I can’t forget my synthetic organza blouse, sigh). I hope you can fix it somehow… the dress looks just perfect on you! IF you can’t fix it, maybe you can turm it to a sleeveless dress; make the armhole edge a little deeper inside and cut some facings from the remaining fabric, or just make some bias binding…

3. Elaray June 11, 2007 at 11:03 #

The dress is lookin’ good. I agree about the buttons – dark is better. The embroidery on the skirt keeps the dress from being plain and the light buttons detract from that feature.

4. dawn June 11, 2007 at 12:28 #

No one will every notice that rip once you patch it up…even you after an hour of wearing.

It looks fantastic. I agree…I love it sleeveless. Too bad you can’t have it both ways, sleeveless and with sleeves. Can you make another one? Maybe in white eyelet? Please?

The shoulders are fitting wonderfully. Did you ever end up altering the pattern after the muslin?

5. Adrienne June 11, 2007 at 14:06 #

love the dress!!! looks fantastic!

6. Sigrid June 11, 2007 at 15:09 #

Great dress, I’m sure that here (Netherlands) you could use this dress without sleeves and still NOT look casual. And I agree with dark blue buttones. Good luck with the little rip.

7. gold June 11, 2007 at 15:44 #

The dress looks great on you.I have rip things and it couldn’t be repair, boy do that hurts.But it looks like that can be repaired.

8. karenb June 11, 2007 at 16:06 #

Your dress looks fabulous!! I’m sure you’ll be able to repair the rip.

9. Erica B. June 11, 2007 at 16:14 #

The dress looks great! I hate that ripping… that has happened to me so many times from notches.

10. Antonia June 11, 2007 at 21:58 #

Oh, the fit is to die for. Fingers crossed for you on the rip. My grandma’s voice is screaming appliqué! in my ear. Sigh.

11. Jen June 12, 2007 at 01:17 #

Wow it looks great! I have that one on my never ending to-do list so thanks for the button tip. I would have not noticed and made the buttonholes too. The embroidery on the fabric is just beautiful with that dress!