Living Dangerously

23 Jun

I came home last night from a very long day at work and a fairly long after- work-emergency-office happy hour. Wanting to get a jump start on the weekend sewing, I decided to cut out the BWOF 5-2007-104 jacket. Why the jacket over the pants? Nancywin offered to send me instructions on how to add a fly to my Anthropologie knock off pants and I wanted to think through a pocket addition before the muslin.

With BWOF I like to add the seam allowance after tracing the pattern by marking my fabric. Last night I forgot to add 1.5 inches to the hem of the jacket front (on the right). doh.

The last time I did this I shortened the vest I was working on overall and I rather hated it because it was too short. In theory, this is a short jacket anyway. I have just enough fabric to retrace the front. So, ummm, I might. But, I might not. Yes, yes, had I done a muslin I may have avoided this. But, I didn’t. I feel some hem tape coming into this project.

I’m also going to conquer my two piece sleeve phobia. I tried a two piece BWOF sleeve five years ago and haven’t bothered again since it was such an unmitigated disaster.

Finally, there are four pieces to the pocket. The main fabric, the lining, the band and the trim. So lots of new things to try this weekend. We’ll see how much I actually get done.

8 Responses to “Living Dangerously”

1. gold June 23, 2007 at 20:30 #

I like that jacket it different.I know yours will turn out great.

Have a great weekend

2. Nancy W. June 23, 2007 at 21:30 #

Did you get the files I sent you and were you able to open them? My email is nwinning@gmail.com

3. Debbie Cook June 23, 2007 at 21:53 #

The jacket is going to be cute! Don’t worry about 2-piece sleeves … and learn from my mistake, which means follow the notches on the pattern (which are always spot on) and don’t try to line up anything with the underarm/sideseam intersection because there won’t be one. Ask me how I know. ;-)

4. Erica B. June 23, 2007 at 22:39 #

That jacket is nice, great pattern. Can’t wait to see the results.

5. dawn June 24, 2007 at 00:30 #

That really is a great pattern. Can’t wait to see it!

6. Anonymous June 24, 2007 at 01:10 #

Another adorable project — can’t wait to see it!
    I’m kicking myself this weekend because I neglected to do a muslin on a new pattern, and also failed to cut out the larger size, just-in-case. Grrr, of course it’s too small and I used a remnant that I can’t get more of. And I wanted it for a trip next week.
    It kills me because I even had enough fabric to do the bigger size! Today, though, I realized, I can salvage the skirt and turn it into a cute top, so all is not lost. Just like your jacket!
    pamici

7. Adrienne June 24, 2007 at 01:14 #

Thats a really cute jacket! Cant wait to see it finished!

8. Elaray June 25, 2007 at 11:59 #

BWOFs have soooo many pieces! Four pieces for one pocket? Come on, now. But, it will look great and no one ever believes you make BWOFs when you wear them (except those fools at your party)