So, with 39 degree temps and wind strong enough to whip off my grill over, I made a summer dress from the July 2007 BWOF.
For this dress, I skipped the lining and decided to try out the blind hem foot for my serger and put in bra cups. There’s a first time for everything, right?
So, first, the bra cups. I used a ‘deep plunge bikini’ for this dress, because, um, well, it’s got a deep plunge. Once pinned in place, I used a zig zag to secure the cups and attached the lower band to the hem allowance between the bodice and skirt.
I’m ambivalent about the blind hem. First, you press up your hem allowance. Then, you create the ‘blind hem fold’. But rather than put it in your sewing machine, the serger attachment finishes off the raw edge. I’m doing a horrible job explaining this. Perhaps we should just take a look at how it comes out:
It looks like I’ve added a decorative band. Nothing wrong with that. But, not what I would call a blind hem. For this, it works out fine because the dress is long. It was superfast and very easy to do. Now, I just need to tackle a blind hem on my regular sewing machine.
I’ll take photos of the dress on this week. I’m really into maxi dresses this year. This will likely not be the last one.
Ahh, and I have finished the double-cuff blouse! I’ll take photos later this week too. But, in the meantime, here’s a sneak preview. There are no words for how much I love this color combination.
If you get a chance, take a look at the version Ann Rowley made. I am really feeling her classic styling.