This is my machine (The Sewist’s Creed)

16 Feb

This is my sewing machine. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My sewing machine is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My sewing machine without me is useless. Without my sewing machine, I am useless. I must sew my machine true. I must sew straighter than my friends who are trying to dress me in Talbots. I must sew my clothes before Macys calls me.

dscf7557

I will… My sewing machine and myself know that what counts in clothing is not the amount I make, the noise of our motors, nor the seams we rip. We know it is the perfect fit that counts.

dscf7567

We will stitch… My sewing machine is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a sister. I will learn its weaknesses, its strengths, its parts, its accessories, its bobbins, and its stitches. I will ever guard it against the ravages of dust and humidity. I will keep my sewing machine clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other.

dscf7566

We will… Before G_d I swear this creed. My sewing machine and myself are the defenders of cheap and nasty clothes. We are the masters of shoddy seams and cheap interfacing. We are the saviors of my fashionable life.

– adapted by me with all due respect from the creed of the US Marine Corps

14 Responses to “This is my machine (The Sewist’s Creed)”

1. Nancy k February 16, 2009 at 11:18 #

LOL. Are you having problems that prompted this?

2. Deb Morrison February 16, 2009 at 11:41 #

Wonderful! Now if only I could get as in synch with my machine…after many years of dodging it, it has the upper hand (so to speak) and manages to intimidate me. It’s all that tension stuff, I think….

Started sewing again after many years off. Got kind of fed up after a lot of home sewing and Halloween costumes (the kangaroo costume for the neighbor’s out of control kid contributed a lot to my problems).

I’m determined to learn how to fit properly. Too bad the body I’m fitting isn’t the same one as the 20-something I last sewed for… In the meantime, quilting took over the market and dressmaking seemed to almost vanish from the midwest stores. Couldn’t find a real-time tailoring class to save my life, so thank God for the internet! Classes, for one thing. Blogs like yours, for another. I am now a huge fan of your blog, and look forward every day to your posts. Thanks for the fun and insight and inspiration! Deb M.

3. Beth (BeeBee) February 16, 2009 at 11:54 #

About the protecting from dust part….

4. Chayah Cheron February 16, 2009 at 12:45 #

I’m jealous…getting my sewing machine in a few days…

5. Carolyn February 16, 2009 at 12:58 #

ROTFLOL! Gurl…and I thought I had it bad!

6. Xstpenguin February 16, 2009 at 14:54 #

Well it’s a bit long to fit on a t-shirt, but yeah, wot she said!

You really, really need to write a piece for the back page of Threads. :-)

7. Krystal (aka Pirouette) February 16, 2009 at 15:48 #

“My sewing machine is my best friend.”

That’s so funny. I was thinking the very same thing last night. LOL!

8. Padmé February 16, 2009 at 16:28 #

That’s really cute.

9. Carla February 16, 2009 at 16:53 #

That was so funny, I kept thinking why does this sound familiar. Duh the Marine Creed.

10. Heather February 16, 2009 at 20:56 #

Wow, where did you get that red beauty? It/He/She is awesome!

11. Rosaline February 17, 2009 at 09:01 #

You’re not only creative in your sewing endeavors but creative with your words. Loved this post. LOL.

12. Rebecca February 17, 2009 at 14:59 #

This was beautiful…it brought tears to my eyes! (lol) I have often felt this way about my machine during our 22 year realtionship! You so rock!

13. Arizona February 17, 2009 at 17:08 #

I LOVE this! Too funny. Makes me want to watch Full Metal Jacket.

14. mimisatin February 19, 2009 at 16:28 #

Please don’t be upset/discouraged with yourself. I know how you feel. At least you had the nerve to try tailoring. Not since I returned to sewing have I had the inclination to do that. When I was younger as saw my mom learning how to do it, the entire process has made me put it on the back burner. I think what I am going to do to get over that is take classes when I am ready. I like the fact that you started those, so keep inspiring.