So, what happened was…

17 Feb

dscf75641

So, let’s complete the sewing weekend roundup, shall we?

Here’s where I am with the Amy Butler Weekender Bag in all it’s off-grain beauty (if you missed the podcast, my Joann’s fabric is printed about 1 to 1.25 inches off grain. Which is why I’ll be using fabricworm (yes. a blatant plug. but you buy off grain fabric and see how you feel)  for my next bag fabric purchase) . If you recall, I had to write ole girl a letter.  The layers of Peltex, interfacing, piping and fabric are  how I blew through three size 16 needles. And, I’m not even at the hard construction portion yet!

For some reason, the off-grain print is easier to see in the photo. Now that I’ve said it, it’s all you can focus on, right?  I’m planning on giving this to one of three people. I haven’t decided who just yet. At anyrate, I put this on hold Sunday until I get size 18 needles and the zipper I ordered last week. Holy cow is that print off grain. But, I think it’s still a snazzy looking bag.   I cannot imagine doing the rest of this on my machine.

I had my first day of class today (for real this time). Will debrief in the morning. It, is cool, but comical.

25 Responses to “So, what happened was…”

1. Cindy February 17, 2009 at 17:58 #

The print looks great! Good luck–I read Sigrid’s blog too and the pattern looks tough! I am going to stick to the Birdie Sling!

2. Padmé February 17, 2009 at 18:43 #

I love it. I have the pattern, but haven’t even attempted it yet. Can’t wait to hear about your day at school!

3. Gwen February 17, 2009 at 18:45 #

You did a terrific job with an off-grain print.

I’m sure the bag itself is challenging enough without dealing with a difficult fabric.

4. Toby Wollin February 17, 2009 at 19:14 #

The pattern seems difficult enough without your having to wrestle all the physical stuff to the ground to get it put together.

5. Krystal February 17, 2009 at 19:15 #

Well, I love the fabric you’ve chosen for this, off grain or not. I’m sure it will come out great!

6. Katy February 17, 2009 at 22:04 #

It looks great. Any of the three people would be beyond lucky to receive it. Especially since every time I see a sewing kit, I immediately think of you and Christina of assorted notions comment.

7. Carolyn February 17, 2009 at 22:07 #

Yeah! You started class! I’m like a dog waiting for a bone…wanting to hear about this!

8. Shelley February 18, 2009 at 00:02 #

My dh chuckled through your blogs during the weekend — and he doesn’t sew. Ditto on Carolyn’s comment — looking forward to hearing about class

9. Miriam in KS February 18, 2009 at 01:25 #

Yup, that bag’s got character! You matched it’s off-grain hide quite well. If I tilt my head just so…!

Waiting to read all about class.

10. Heather February 18, 2009 at 01:27 #

This bag looks like ‘hard’ work! No wonder your needles went belly-up!!!
    Sorry about the grainline, now you know why it was that price….jeez, I hate it when businesses do things like that.

11. Sigrid February 18, 2009 at 05:43 #

It looks great Cidell, it’s that you mention the off-grain, but it’s not that obvious.

One thing you might consider to reduce the thickness of layers on the sides, as you have not yet sewn the zipper part: omit the smaller side pockets on the bag. You could either alter your pattern for the zipper part and cut off the pocket part (remember seam allowance) and sew the pocket part not as a pocket but as a single layer side panel. This way you’ll have a horizontal seam in the side panel, below the zipper.
    Other method could be to omit the pocket part and leave the pattern part with the zipper and don’t add the side pocket. Then you’ll have a vertical seam at the side.

Just a thought, this is one of the things I’m adding to my review of the bag (which has not yet a stitch done, but I’m going to finish it!)

12. Christina February 18, 2009 at 10:02 #

Were you planning to give away the bag before you knew it was off grain? LOL Anyway, the print is busy so it’s not too obvious.

I am scared to try one of these AB bags, thanks to you and everyone else who has wrestled these things! I don’t think my machine could handle it.

13. rosesred February 18, 2009 at 11:40 #

Love the printcombination. The offgrain really isn’t noticable (at least, not to me) so whatever you did to fix it, worked! I really like how you made the print on the front pocket match the rest of the front. looks so sofisticated

14. chicago sarah February 18, 2009 at 12:17 #

I did not notice the off grain until you mentioned it and then I had to stare to find it. What _is_ really noticable is the streamline styling and the needle-bending construction!

15. Kim Brown February 18, 2009 at 13:07 #

It’s still cute and I’ve heard this was hard on the machine too sew. Just take your time I know it will be fab!

16. Lori February 18, 2009 at 13:48 #

Good luck with the zipper, this bag is difficult but the end results are great. Yours looks fantastic, the off-grain isn’t that noticeable.

17. The Slapdash Sewist February 18, 2009 at 14:05 #

I actually don’t see the grain issue at all! I think it’s looking cute so far.

18. Nancy k February 18, 2009 at 15:32 #

Unless you really examine it, because you’ve said that it is off grain, do you notice it. The general non sewing public will not have a clue.
    On the subject of off grain fabric. A woman I know who sews high end home dec for a living commented a while ago that when you find a home dec fabric at a bargain price, it’s very often printed off grain. That’s not to say that it can’t be a perfectly fine yard end, but often you don’t see it until you are graining it up already bought and paid for. When it’s draperies, well if you don’t cut it on grain, they will never hang right. Your handbag, just aggravating.

19. Carol February 18, 2009 at 16:25 #

I don’t really notice the off grain thing either. It’s a cute, cute bag and I think the pain will all be forgotten when you actually get to use it!

20. Summerset February 18, 2009 at 19:02 #

Grrr. The fabric I bought (that home dec canvas like stuff) from Jo-ann’s for my Roman blinds for my bedroom was printed off grain, too! Annoying when you can’t get an even repeat even when you rip the ends to get a straight grain.

Regardless of grain, the bag is seriously cute. Lucky person who gets it!

21. Miriam in KS February 18, 2009 at 22:34 #

I just went back and read the comment I posted earlier (this morning, yikes!), and it doesn’t read how I meant it to read. Rats! What I MEANT is that if you tilt your head just so, the bag is on grain (teehee). I do like how you matched up the pattern inspite of the fabric wonkiness.

And I think I should not post comments on any blog if it is after midnight. Since I live in the Central time zone, it really wasn’t 1:25 a.m. this morning. It was only 12:25 a.m. when I posted. Still too late to be up on a work/school night for me.

Looking forward to seeing this finished. Hope the things you need arrive quickly.

22. stacysews February 18, 2009 at 22:44 #

I see it now that you pointed it out, but wouldn’t have noticed it otherwise. It’s looking good, though!

23. Muffet Schroer February 18, 2009 at 22:55 #

I like the bag… didn’t notice the grain until you pointed it out. Nice job, btw!! I have the pattern too. I bought it a long time ago before I started reading about it on the web. I just love the bag, but may never attempt it now.

Love your blog. Can’t wait to hear about your class. Good luck. Keep blogging.

24. subversivesewer February 19, 2009 at 00:37 #

I feel so dumb, but I don’t know what you mean by printed off grain. Do you know if there’s a tutorial for that? For the life of me, I can’t get my brain around “grain.”

25. Karen February 27, 2009 at 16:28 #

I too hate off grain prints but I think it works in this application. Whenever I discover flaws like this I remember the Navaho women always wove a flaw into their rugs. That way they lived to make another rug. If they reached perfection they risked dying. After hearing this story about the Navaho I always make sure that there is a flaw in the garment I am making.