The Pink Kimono

23 Jun

Can you believe I was STILL waiting for my June 2009 BWOF when Trena sent me a photo of her muslin of 6-2009-110??  Seriously. Sometimes I think the women at the post office are thumbing through that and my US Weekly before they deliver it to my house.

For this project, I used a light pink suiting from the Carol Collection. It’s darker than it appears in the photo, but is overexposed in today’s SUNSHINE. YES!! My friends, there is no rain today and we finally have SUNSHINE in Baltimore!  But, I digress. To break up all the pink, I made the bands in navy blue. This way, it would coordinate with the navy plaid silk tie fabric I was making the #151 obi from.

The dress is unlined so I serged the inside seams. Because the fabric is see through — and opaque with two layers, I left out the pockets. Also, on me, the pockets didn’t seem to hit at the right spot. I had no interest in lining this dress. None.

I should also mention that I struggled with the facing. It was several inches too small. So, I cut it out a second time and added several inches.

There are four snaps at the top. These came to me courtesy of Ann of Gorgeous Fabrics. I made a plea on PatternReview on where to find HUGE snaps and she answered!  I also needed two more snaps lower on the dress or you could see my vajajay when I walked and sat. For those, I used used light plastic pink ones from NYC. The plastic ones are about a quarter each, hard to open and close and feel like they might break. Ann’s are strong yet lightweight and retail for $3 a pop.

I did start to cover the snaps, but realized it was a big hassle and it didn’t bother me for them to not be covered with lining fabric.

In the photo below, you can see what I mean when I say the obi is too big. The dark solid navy are the side pieces, and clearly start in the middle of my back. I’m not motivated enough to alter it — yet. But, when I make another, I could easily take three to six inches out of the obi. I, um, also forgot to leave a slit for the belt to slip through in the back.

The other thing to be aware of is that the armsyce is super low to accommodate the kimono style. It will also cause some natural blousing of the upper bodice (see above. that’s why my skirt looks crooked) over the belt.  Because of this the, belt rides low, and this hikes the skirt up higher than you might think. Even though I added the correct length to the dress, it’s still a wee bit shorter than I’m comfortable with for work.  So, you want to make it longer initially for safety.

When I tried it on yesterday, it felt a little like a robe. But, I think that’s the nature of a kimono-style garment in the west. I QUITE like it and feel very chic and extremely retro. It’s not as baggy as the #107 dress. I’m working on a new Japan related project in the office, so I should fit right in during the next few weeks!

38 Responses to “The Pink Kimono”

1. Gorgeous Things June 23, 2009 at 12:46 #

That looks so great on you! You should have told me you hadn’t gotten your BWOF. I can loan you mine. I have too many projects in the queue before I can even look at it.

2. Sara June 23, 2009 at 13:00 #

Such pretty colors together and your waist looks so tiny! Lovely dress and belt.

3. mary beth June 23, 2009 at 13:04 #

I love it, you look great!

4. Beth Conkwright June 23, 2009 at 13:13 #

Cidell,
    I don’t know how you made that boring dress in the magazine look so darn cute. It’s so cute.

5. kathleen June 23, 2009 at 13:17 #

Wow – this is super pretty! I love those colors together,
    My post office is not interested in sewing, so I get my Burdas right away. They must like to cook though, because the Fine Cooking Magazines are always late.
    I’m looking for a source for HUGE snaps to sell on my website. They must be popular, because the suppliers are always OUT. How nice of Ann to donate her snaps to the cause :)

6. Byrdie June 23, 2009 at 14:03 #

I love this! I love the combination of pink and navy. The belt really makes this a unique dress!

7. Christy Alex June 23, 2009 at 14:06 #

I love it!

8. Carolyn June 23, 2009 at 14:23 #

You’re looking so cute! This style is definitely you and I think you should try another one!

9. Rachel June 23, 2009 at 14:33 #

I love pink and navy together and that belt is super gorgeous!!!

10. cindy June 23, 2009 at 14:42 #

I love the obi with the dress. Your waist look itty-bitty. I am in Chicago and haven’t received my Burda either…it must be the post women!

11. hennasplace June 23, 2009 at 14:55 #

That is so cute, I love it. And you are welcome from the earliier post with good luck in finding what you want.

12. The Slapdash Sewist June 23, 2009 at 15:22 #

It came out so cute! I don’t think it’s too short.

13. eword10 June 23, 2009 at 15:48 #

Love it! I love the navy accents. Good call.

14. Nancy K June 23, 2009 at 16:42 #

One of the things I hate about shapeless dresses that you have to belt is the fussing factor involved, like making sure the blousing is perfectly even all around so that the hem is even. My quirk, but it looks really good on you and definitely stylish in pink and blue.

15. Vicki June 23, 2009 at 17:00 #

Great in pink and blue! And the obi is just perfect.

16. O.C. June 23, 2009 at 17:18 #

Very cute! I thought the pictures of this one in BWOF looked blah blah blah, but you made it work.

A request: Could you update us on your “Single Girl” quilt sometime? I just bought the pattern and some fabric, and would like to see how yours is going. Thanks!

• cidell June 24, 2009 at 08:51 #

Oh. Gosh. Yes! This weekend I’m going to work on it. I have limited sewing time this weekend, perfect for quilting.

• O.C. June 24, 2009 at 09:21 #

Cool! I’m really looking forward to seeing it. I’d bought the Anna Maria Horner fat quarters sampler from Fabric worm, which, on a white background, should make a really nifty quilt top. :-)

17. Leslie June 23, 2009 at 17:47 #

This looks great Cidell!! Love the obi with it, and those snaps are fantastic.

18. Gail June 23, 2009 at 17:59 #

I am so loving these looks. Can’t wait for the issue to arrive.

19. Summerset June 23, 2009 at 18:14 #

Very chic! Looks wonderful on you. Yay for sunshine, too. Please send it on to New England.

20. Erica B. June 23, 2009 at 18:54 #

Fabulous! You look great!

21. Claire June 23, 2009 at 19:22 #

Hey, there’s a definite plot in my community to hold our mail up one day or so…we eventually get it, just before it’s out of date. Grrr!!! I love the Kimono – gobs of style with not much effort – truly a work of art!

22. Carol June 23, 2009 at 20:54 #

I really like the way this looks on you. I can’t bring myself to wear those sorts of sleeves, but I wish I could.

23. Karima June 23, 2009 at 21:58 #

Very cute.

24. JC June 23, 2009 at 22:12 #

We can’t put anything past the USPS these days, can we? We three (you, me and Trena) are neighbors. Anyway, I can’t be mad at them if they are! All of your projects look nice on you. Yes, the sunshine is good for a change…now we’ll have to deal with the heat and humidity the next few days. Take care!

25. Elaray June 24, 2009 at 03:10 #

Very cute dress!

I think you are right about the post office employees reading your June BWOF. They read mine too, and decided to keep it!

26. Auntie Allyn June 24, 2009 at 07:04 #

Adorable! This is another one I’m considering . . . and I’m glad to see that the “sleeves” are longer than I initially thought. By the way, I think I’ve seen those big honking snaps at G Street at 7 Corners . . .

27. Jean June 24, 2009 at 07:49 #

Your kimono dress looks great — the obi really makes the dress look special, and of course I love that pink!

28. Lindsay T June 24, 2009 at 08:26 #

Love the color combination and the style on you. Very fresh and original. Did you check out the huge assortment of snaps at Pacific Trimming? I just buy covered ones from them now and be damned if they don’t match exactly, ’cause covering snaps is a pain as you know.

29. lulu June 24, 2009 at 12:22 #

The dress looks great on you. I think the trim really adds a good amount of visual interest. Go you, matching your dress to your job function!

30. amy Barthel June 24, 2009 at 12:46 #

Arigato Cidell! This is the cutest kimono dress! that obi belt it great too. youre so teeny tiny!!!

31. Lori June 24, 2009 at 14:00 #

This looks great on you, I like the color combination, too.

32. Christina June 24, 2009 at 20:48 #

Cute!

Way to pave the way with the obi belt! I might have to give that a try.

33. Gigi June 25, 2009 at 19:37 #

Well, there you are looking so chic with your tiny little waist! I LOOOVE these full styles on you, you can really carry them off. I’m hoping to make a leather obi sometime this summer. In black. To make my waist appear small. ;-)

34. Anne e le manine d'oro June 28, 2009 at 09:07 #

I love that pattern as well. Your version is so pretty ! I love the belt with it.

35. rima aranha July 6, 2009 at 08:57 #

This is a stunner! All the way!

Rima

1. Too Literal? « Miss Celie's Pants - August 19, 2010

[...] wanted to wear my pink Burda kimono. But, went with my Burda obi. Too literal or a cultural [...]