A step in the right direction

27 Jun

I got up this morning all set to start a Vogue jacket. But, I couldn’t find the pattern. I went into my sewing room to look and I didn’t even know where to begin because it was such a sty. So, I took matters in to my own hands and decided it was time to assemble the Aneboda from IKEA (idea originally Kristy‘s)

And now, the patterns I can put my hands on, are all in one place. I even found the missing jacket pattern.

And, it’s holding about four years worth of BWOFs too.

No, this didn’t make a huge difference in my sewing room. But, it makes me feel at least like I have a little more control.

I did manage to set it up in my prime photo location. But, I’m too tired to even think about moving it right now.

22 Responses to “A step in the right direction”

1. Anna June 27, 2009 at 17:14 #

I’d watch the weight of all those magazines in one drawer. The bottoms of my drawers came out because of the weight of the patterns in them and the backs also bowed a bit because I tried to stuff too many in one drawer. The only solution I could come up with was to tape the drawer together with long strips from underneath up the back, there was nowhere to nail it to make it stronger.

I do love the chest of drawers though, I made some makeshift dividers until I get around to doing nicer ones and it’s so nice to be able to ‘shop’ the patterns and know where they are all!

2. Peacock Chic June 27, 2009 at 17:24 #

Congrats on the organization!! I always love it when i get motivated because you find so many forgotten treasures

3. Vicki June 27, 2009 at 17:34 #

Every little bit helps – and that cabinet looks good :)

4. Marty June 27, 2009 at 17:44 #

I know, I know, sewing stuff just seems to spill everywhere! As soon as I organize one area, another one scatters itself around. Something we sewers can’t get too bent out of shape about, otherwise we couldn’t apply ourselves, we’d just be cleaning all the time.

5. Ministylista June 27, 2009 at 22:24 #

I’m so doing this cabinet for my patterns. Your organizing is coming along great!

6. brocadegoddess June 28, 2009 at 00:27 #

I wish I had room in my sewing space (or apt in general) for something like that, boo. But good for you, it’s a great idea!

I did play copycat yesterday with your idea to photocopy the Styles at a Glance pages from my BWOFS. It’s really useful for me to have both the line drawings easily accessible, and the photos organized on my laptop because I actually look through my Burdas both ways. Sometimes I’m looking for a particular cut, so I want the line drawings. Other times I’m looking for overall effect, so then the photos are what I need.

Oh, and I had a thought about the ties for the obi 151. I made a couple of them today and wonder if it’s not just another translation-typo. Maybe you’re only supposed to cut 1 strip of the given length and use it for both? When I considered the measurement, half that seemed like it could be about right.

7. Marie-Christine June 28, 2009 at 02:07 #

You may not feel like it makes a big difference in the sewing room mess, but not being able to start your jacket because you can’t find the jacket is a huge pain. So congratulations, that looks a lot better!
    I may second the caution about the weight of the magazine though… And I put my Burdas in vertical magazine files, and I feel I can find them easier, and browse them more often, than when I have them flat, but to each her own. At least you have them all together, it’s huge progress.
    Now for that jacket :-)?

8. lin3arossa June 28, 2009 at 02:59 #

Oh, looks like there’s room for more patterns in that cabinet! :D

9. Heather June 28, 2009 at 04:56 #

I’ve looked at the Aneboda sooooo often. In reality, I need 2, but my dd usually reminds me that I have no place to put it. When I ask her, ‘what do you mean, no place?’ She’ll say, mom you have no place on the floor for it to stand! ROLMHO…..guess my sewing room is so jam packed. Yes, we have this conversation every time I stand before it in IKEA.

10. Heather June 28, 2009 at 04:58 #

Oh, did you see that SewingPatterns.com is having a $1.99 Simplicity sale? For me, this is incredible because I don’t have access to your .99cents sale and we never ever have pattern sales here. Of course, I got my 10 patterns in.

11. Meredith P June 28, 2009 at 07:04 #

Hey, you need more patterns! But then you’re still young :-). That’s a very nice cabinet. Good luck chipping away at the sewing room contents. Every little bit helps.

12. melissa June 28, 2009 at 07:33 #

HAHAHAH you too? We put my Aneboda together last weekend and it’s taken me all week to get everything transferred over (though I had to move everything between desks and another Ikea cabinet, too). You just beat me to posting about it. ;)

FYI – you know you can stand those magazines on their side, spine up, right?

13. Gigi June 28, 2009 at 09:19 #

Ooh, that’s a really pretty cabinet!

14. Anne June 28, 2009 at 10:56 #

I must agree with Anna – the Anaboda drawers cannot hold that much weight. The gliders are not that strong and the bottom may pop out. Sorry to discourage you on that one.

15. Nancy K June 28, 2009 at 13:50 #

My dh had to put back together some drawers in a my dd’s Ikea dresser, not this one, but it just didn’t hold together with just clothing in it I don’t give it much hope for a drawer full of magazines. The magazine holders are pretty cheap and a whole year’s worth of magazines will fit in one holder, especially if you’ve taken out the pattern sheets. They make it much easier to put your hands on the issue you need.

16. cidell June 28, 2009 at 14:07 #

Thanks for the warning everyone. I’ve pulled the magazines for now until my magazine holders come in. THX!

17. Amy June 28, 2009 at 15:02 #

That looks fantastic. I need to get my act in gear and do something similar :)

18. Connie B June 29, 2009 at 07:13 #

Looking good! I was so lucky a few years ago to get a real pattern cabinet at an auction sale for 5 bucks! I don’t think anyone else knew what it was!

19. AuntieAllyn June 29, 2009 at 07:33 #

Love the cabinet . . . it’s so great when you get your patterns organized! Are these cabinet drawers large (high) enough to properly store the Vogue designer patterns (7 3/4″x 10″)? When I store these in my overpriced Olfa drawers, they get a bit smooshed, even when they’re filed using the shortest side.

• cidell June 29, 2009 at 07:58 #

Yes, they sure do! The Hot Patterns and Jalie are too tall, but the Vogue Designer patterns fit perfectly!

20. Love it! Sew it! February 15, 2010 at 13:32 #

Waow..I wish I was organised as you. Most of the time, I can’t even find my magazines. I guess I have to seriously consider a drawer just for my magazines and patterns, like you. Good job.

1. Sewing Room Installed | Miss Celie's Pants - December 14, 2013

[…] while I use an IKEA piece to hold my patterns currently, it’s gotten a bit wobbly. I did call  the company that makes pattern cabinets for Mcall, […]