The weekend continues

2 Aug

Here’s a photo of me in the top. The pattern is BWOF 2-2008-123. I had a lot of confused co-workers yesterday. Especially the men. They just kept staring trying to figure out if my shirt was different or if they were seeing things. The women were asking around trying to figure out why theirs didn’t look like mine. It was actually kind of funny.  At anyrate, I should have read the reviews. Or at least the directions!

The reviews first note that it’s a little short in length. Which is theoretically fine for an outdoor festival. But, not so good once you start eating funnel cake, soft serve, pho and all the outdoor festival goodnesss. Also, because I didn’t read the directions, I didn’t notice the true width of the collar and waistband. They should be double. The would certainly have helped with the length and definitely with the almost peek-a-boo top.

Overall, not bad and I would definitely make it again in ‘real’ fabric and for the next time I need to convert a tee.

Both my brother and uncle entered the BBQ contest. My brother took first and my uncle third in chicken (that’s my niece holding the ribbon). They did not make this:

That’s a Phillipine style suckling pig.

20 Responses to “The weekend continues”

1. LindsayT August 2, 2009 at 08:07 #

Nice family shot but did you have to throw the dead pig photo in there?! Ewwww!

2. Carolyn August 2, 2009 at 08:22 #

The comments about the t-shirt were funny! I can see you “customizing” more of these in the future!

3. Erica B. August 2, 2009 at 08:25 #

I would have never thought to customize a t-shirt. I should do that! Maybe I’d be open to wearing them. LOL Ummmm… that pig? Wow… I haven’t seen one of those in years!

4. Claire August 2, 2009 at 09:16 #

OMG – can I come for dinner?…there’s nothing better than a suckling pig…and BBQ’ed no less! I love great BBQ. Love your top- it is so cute on you!

5. Marie-Christine August 2, 2009 at 09:34 #

Wow, I’d heard lots of good things about Baltimore, but I feel like getting right on a plane :-).. That said, Burda gets me -every- time with the stupid stuff about giving you the finished band measurements without telling you so. Meh. Still love your t-shirt, no wonder the coworkers were envious!

6. ConnieB August 2, 2009 at 09:48 #

Lub the tee, lub the pig- hope you thought about me!

7. Christina August 2, 2009 at 11:48 #

I like how you used contrast for the neck and waist. I had big plans to re-con a work tee a few weeks ago, but waited until the last minute and all I managed to do was cut the sleeves shorter and the crewneck wider. Still, a vast improvement over what I started with.

8. Emily August 2, 2009 at 11:54 #

I’ve heard that when people customize “group event” t-shirts, they can get some envious looks from their workmates. My suggestion would be to only customize the shirt enough to fit in a flattering way (slightly more shape, slightly lower neckline, narrower sleeves, etc). That way, you still look like part of the team but people will be wondering all day why you look so awesome in the “same” boxy t-shirt that they are wearing.

9. geeksewing August 2, 2009 at 12:39 #

That BBQed suckling pig reminds me of my early childhood, visiting my mom’s hometown, where everyone comes to a party.

You look very cute in that recon t-shirt.

10. kathleen August 2, 2009 at 13:24 #

Cute t shirt – that pig reminds me of Kalua Pig from Hawaii. Since there are many Filipinos in Hawaii, I’m sure those dishes (and pigs) are related.Congratulations to your brother and uncle! Lucky you to get Championship BBQ :)

11. Gorgeous Things August 2, 2009 at 14:44 #

Cute top and what heaven the festival must have been! I’ve cooked many a suckling pig but I’ve never tried Phillipine style. I’ll have to find a recipe!

12. Gorgeous Things August 2, 2009 at 14:44 #

PS – congrats to your brother and uncle!

13. Marjie August 2, 2009 at 15:27 #

And I’ll bet there wasn’t a guy at the event who didn’t prefer your tee to all others. I didn’t know you had a brother, and your niece is so cute! Will she be taking Sewing 101 with Auntie?

14. Carol August 2, 2009 at 17:29 #

You look super cute!

15. Jali August 2, 2009 at 19:15 #

The confused co-workers situation is too funny, the BBQ talk is getting me hungry and the suckling pig is just huge and scary.

16. Jc August 2, 2009 at 21:46 #

Cute shirt and outfit. Very fitting for the muggy weather we’ve recently (your up/down the road PG county blogger). Gotta confess: the pig was kinda rough. :-). Always enjoy reading your posts (and I’m still laughing over the pig). Hope he won’t pop up as a nightmare as I’ll be turning in shortly. :-). Take care and stay cool!

17. kay August 4, 2009 at 10:27 #

Oh, the pig kinda creeped me out a bit :)

18. Kaith August 20, 2009 at 00:02 #

Ooohh!! Litson (Filipino Tagalog for the suckling pig in the photo), it might look creepy but with the traditional style gravy, and the crispiness of the skin and the juicy-ness of the meat, you’re not going to want to stop eating. LOL!! I love your blog and I appreciate you like litson!

19. Shay September 1, 2009 at 08:52 #

Please adopt me. I would kill to have relatives who win barbecue contests.

1. No Jeans Allowed. Burda 2/2011 #120 Inverted Pleat Skirt (Again) « Miss Celie's Pants - June 17, 2011

[...] Pooh. And, in the same email was told, ‘No dolling up your shirts‘. Apparently, the word had gotten out on me. Lest you think I’m paranoid, the author of the e-mail came to me and said, ‘That means [...]