I Just Need to Hem

7 Dec

I finished my pants on Sunday and was SO excited about them I pulled out more wool for another pair. Except, I pre-treated it badly and it is now felted. It feels just like a blanket.

Boo! Oh, well. I think I’m going to use it to make this Burda jacket. Yes, I know it calls for a knit, but it’s got so little structure I think I’ll be fine.

Currently on the cutting table is this sweatshirt dress from the August 2008 La Mia Boutique.

Doesn’t it look perfect for weekends?

17 Responses to “I Just Need to Hem”

1. Sigrid December 7, 2009 at 10:10 #

Good looking! I might make these once again too, thanks for reminding me.

2. Julie December 7, 2009 at 10:20 #

Fantastic job on those pants! Sorry about your felted wool but I bet it will make a very cozy wrap jacket.

3. Christina December 7, 2009 at 10:20 #

Yay, new pants! They look great.

I live in knits and “sweats” on the weekend.

4. senaSews December 7, 2009 at 10:38 #

The pants look well done. Can’t wait to see you wearing it! Also like the wrap jacket, it looks warm and cosy! It will make good use of your fabric!

5. The Slapdash Sewist December 7, 2009 at 10:42 #

Yay for pants! Now you have to teach me.

6. Sewcat December 7, 2009 at 10:49 #

THe computer I’m on isn’t bringing up your pics so I can’t see how the felted fabric turned out but as another suggestion – Rather than 119 you might try 113 in the same issue. I am almost finished with that one after (intentionally) felting some wool flannel. The pattern worked up well and (at least in my case), I was afraid that from the “blanket feel” of my wool I would end up with too much fabric in the collar and cuffs. To cope with the fact that 113 calls for raw edges and I wasn’t sure I had felted enough, I turned the edge, zigzagged it and steamed like crazy. THe zigzag looks like a decorattive edge.
    Hope that helps.

7. spottedroo December 7, 2009 at 10:59 #

Pants look great! I really need to bite the bullet and make some. Do you think you can send Marji my way to help with fitting? Any tips for the rest of us who are pants-challenged?

8. NuJoi December 7, 2009 at 11:08 #

Cool pants! Let’s see how they fit. (I have to use you for inspiration.)

9. Carolyn December 7, 2009 at 11:22 #

Do you need another piece of wool sweetie? I have some I can send you! :)

10. Leslie December 7, 2009 at 11:29 #

Oh you tease!! Show us the FIT already!

I might be a little crazy but sometimes I love harsh pretreatment, it’s like getting a whole new piece of fabric when it comes out. Not if I spent $30/yd on it though.

11. Laura Georgina December 7, 2009 at 12:50 #

Your pants look gorgeous! So pretty and finished on the inside (definitely NOT like most of my stuff), and I’m sure they’ll rock when you’re done with hemming.

I’m so envious of people who make nice pants, le sigh….I had a go at two sets of really easy shorts yesterday and swore like a sailor when I had to adjust the seat for wrinkles/lines/etc.

12. Sílvia December 7, 2009 at 15:26 #

Hi,
    I love the sweatshirt dress!
    You have the patterns???
    I love very well!
    Sorry for me Inglish … ;)
    Sílvia

13. Vicki December 7, 2009 at 16:25 #

Nice pants! Shame about the felted wool, and yes that does look like a good weekend dress!

14. Carol December 7, 2009 at 16:28 #

fantastic pants!!!!

15. selfishseamstress December 7, 2009 at 19:08 #

Oh, those pants are great! I really love this trend of welt pockets in the front and yours are immaculate. It’s funny, I always make my striped pants so the waistband stripes run horizontally across the front. I never thought of doing it the other way!

16. Ann's Fashion Studio December 7, 2009 at 19:42 #

Great looking pants! I love the fabric.

17. Annicka J December 8, 2009 at 17:42 #

Ooo wonderful pants! The pockets are fab! Hmmm I don’t think using a felted wool for a draped jacket will work to your benefit. The whole point of the style is the beautiful drape… Maybe make a lovely structured coat/jacket from the wool? A cute peacoat? A new take on the trench perhaps?