I do not like setting in sleeves. I’m all about sewing them in flat. I cannot get a smooth sleeve using that two rows of stitching, gathering and pinning nonsense. But, for the Patrones 267-13 dress it’s hard to avoid considering the matching of piping / seamlines needed. In Connie Long’s book ‘Easy Guide to Sewing Blouses and Shirts‘ she recommends using STET (sigh. I don’t own the book and can’t remember what this stuff is called. It’ll come to me by the time the day is over.) to set in sleeves. This width is no longer readily available in the US.
So, on one of my rare excursions to Wal Mart I found a pretty good substitute.
I actually don’t know what it’s called. But, it’s a loose nylon type netting in the sewing section. By cutting it on the bias, it approximates the weight and feel of STET.
You’ll want to cut it the length or somewhat shorter of the sleeve cap. Make it about two inches wide.
Using your longest stitch, sew the netting to the sleeve pulling as tightly as possible.
As you see, this automatically gathers the sleeve for you!
Pin in place and sew together with the gather side to the bottom.
Voila! Set in sleeve
Here’s where I am now. Sleeves are set in. I’ve taken two inches out from the waist and pegged the skirt. I still have some curve to remove from the hip and will need to stabilize the hem (it’s collapsing). I have removed 1/2 inch from the neckline.
I am not in love with this dress. But, I’m going to finish it. I might not even bother with the lining I’ve already made. I can’t bear to rip that apart making the adjustments above.