HP Cosmopolitan #3

31 Jan

I’m all done with the HP Cosmopolitan dress. But, it’s not for me.

Why not? I forgot that I added three inches in length to my version so it’s super short and it’s just really, really LOUD on me.  It’s also not work appropriate at this length and the proportions are just wrong at this length. But, for my mom who is several inches shorter, it’ll be perfect. She can wear it to lunch with Trudy and Jeremy. You know, I always saw this fabric as a maxi dress. But, I’m over maxi dresses for 2010.

The fabric is super thin and white. So, I lined the bodice with a chocolate colored tricot that I stocked up on at $1.99 a yard in Panama last August. It’ll also need a slip for the skirt. It just clings to all the wrong parts of me in this fabric weight. Another reason I should give it to my mom. Slips don’t bother her and she’s got non-existent hips.

I understitched the bodice lining so it wouldn’t show through. And, I stabilized the neckline of the chain link fabric with tricot interfacing. I also cut the sleeves shorter to suit the hem length of the dress better. And, as usual, I don’t hem my knits ;)

This is the second failed dress my mom has inherited from me. So far, no complaints from her! I still love this pattern. Just not with this fabric at this length.

26 Responses to “HP Cosmopolitan #3”

1. Katie January 31, 2010 at 19:08 #

Cute, and wow, that was fast!! Your Mom’s a lucky gal!

2. Carol January 31, 2010 at 19:40 #

I like it. I’d make it louder and wear it with yellow heels. I hope we get to see a picture of your mother wearing it!

• Miss Celie January 31, 2010 at 19:55 #

And I LOVE a loud print. But, even this I can’t wear to work. Between Fla. and Panama my mom will get a lot more wear out of it than me. And, I’m ashamed to admit that I don’t have a single pair of fun coloured shoes!

3. meagangracie January 31, 2010 at 19:53 #

I agree – that is a loud print! It would’ve been very BR with a black background and neutral chain links.

4. Diane E January 31, 2010 at 19:58 #

What a great dress! Your mom will look fabulous in it.

5. Digs January 31, 2010 at 20:14 #

Very cute dress. I love the chocolate lining. It’s fabulous of you to hand it over to one who’ll get more use out of it. Yea!

6. justgail January 31, 2010 at 20:49 #

Very cute! That pattern and that fabric is *almost* enough to make me want to start sewing dresses, and wish I had somewhere to wear them.

7. Victoria Baylor January 31, 2010 at 20:53 #

The dress is gorgeous and I absolutely love the fabric! You did an awesome job. I hate it didn’t work for you. In my mind you’d look good in it but of course you’d know best. I’m sure your Mom will be so happy with it:)

8. Carolyn January 31, 2010 at 21:45 #

I think it’s great that you are passing it on to your mom too! So now what are you going to wear to your meeting with Trudy & Jeremy?!

9. Kathi January 31, 2010 at 22:43 #

Very cute!! I recently bought that pattern, but I haven’t had a chance to try it yet! This post is pushing me toward it!

10. allisonc February 1, 2010 at 00:16 #

It looks good, sorry it’s not for you. Are you going to whizz up another (longer!) one before your trip?

11. tini February 1, 2010 at 06:34 #

Your mum is really lucky! I like how you underlined the bodice with the chocolate brown knit!

12. Karin February 1, 2010 at 06:34 #

Lucky, lucky, lucky Mom!

Panama? Do you have family in Panama? I lived there as a child.

• Miss Celie February 1, 2010 at 07:52 #

Yep! My parents retired to Panama (although they are originally from the Caribbean and I was born in the states). What part of Panama did you live in?

13. kathleen February 1, 2010 at 09:33 #

Beautiful dress! Your mom is lucky. You only have sensible shoes? That’s an excuse to get some red shoes, I think. No shoe diet in 2010, right?

14. ConnieB February 1, 2010 at 09:43 #

It DOES look good though! Does that mean more HP sewing needs to be completed before the “date with Trudy”?

15. Summerset February 1, 2010 at 11:00 #

Bummer! It is really nicely made. At least your mother will appreciate it. Now, you still have to find something to wear, right?

16. The Slapdash Sewist February 1, 2010 at 13:59 #

So smart to use a skin-tone lining! Too bad it didn’t work out. I notice I was not in the running for this dress. Ahem.

17. NuJoi February 2, 2010 at 07:26 #

Very cute. So if this is for your mom, what will you wear?

18. Auntie Allyn February 2, 2010 at 08:33 #

It is a crime against nature that you can’t wear that type of dress to work . . . I bet it would look fabulous on you! Your mom is a lucky lady!

19. amber February 2, 2010 at 11:36 #

Lucky mommy! That print is so fun!

20. Susan - Knitters Delight February 2, 2010 at 12:06 #

As my Sister likes to say “your loss is my gain”! lol. She loves reaping the rewards of my sewing mishaps, too.

Your Mom will look beautiful in her new dress.

21. Laura Georgina February 3, 2010 at 15:01 #

Your mom is going to be the cutest thing on wheels in that dress! It’s very sweet that you are giving this to her, regardless of how it came to be…

22. Passion for Sewing February 3, 2010 at 16:29 #

I really love your dress or actually your moms dress, she is very lucky. I have been checking your creations for a while already and must say that you inspire me a lot. I just started blogging myself and hope to make lots of nice pieces too. Keep up the good work!

Jhuriene

23. Isabelle February 5, 2010 at 06:01 #

That is super pretty! I love the coloured print on white – so fresh.
    You have a lucky Mom.

1. First World Problems « Miss Celie's Pants - November 26, 2010

[...] thread. Again, under an hour to construct. I love this print. You may remember it from my failed HP Cosmo dress. I rarely keep leftover bits of materials. That is one step too close to hoarding for me. But, this [...]