NYTimes: Feel Ragged? Renew at This Cafe

18 Mar
Apparently, I read more about sewing these days than actually sewing.

Feel Ragged? Renew at This Cafe
By ERIC WILSON
Published: March 17, 2010

SWEAT SHOP, a tiny new cafe near a trendy stretch of Paris, had barely opened its doors last week when it faced its first fashion emergency. A young woman brought in a teddy bear that had been worn to pieces.

10 Responses to “NYTimes: Feel Ragged? Renew at This Cafe”

1. Andrea March 18, 2010 at 12:12 #

That is HOT!!!!! I love it. I wish there was something like that here.

2. Isabelle March 18, 2010 at 12:29 #

How brilliant is this! The place is 2 minutes away from my sister’s.

3. The Slapdash Sewist March 18, 2010 at 16:08 #

Fun! I wonder if they’ll do well. It seems like I hear about such a startup in DC every so often, but either nothing comes of it or they don’t last long.

4. The Slapdash Sewist March 18, 2010 at 16:09 #

Although, I think Paris is a better market for this than DC. Paris apartments are TINY and unless you were really sure you wanted to sew you’d think twice before dedicating a cubic foot of space to a sewing machine, even if it stayed in the box in the top of a closet most of the time.

5. meg March 18, 2010 at 17:36 #

How cool is that!

6. Marie-Christine March 19, 2010 at 06:00 #

Actually, there was a place like this in San Francisco for young ones, Stitch Lounge, for years (it’s closed now). And that was in turn inspired by the Sewing Workshop. So the idea isn’t new, but it’s great.

I do find it interesting that the Paris place emphasizes the old-fashioned aspect of sewing, a suicidal marketing approach imho, while Stitch Lounge was all about being cool and trendy..

7. M March 19, 2010 at 09:08 #

That’s it! I’m setting off for Paris on my vacation with a suitcase of fabric, pattern and notions. No clothes, not even underwear! Just fabric! Instead of shopping at chic but expensive boutiques, I’ll just rent a sewing machine at the Sweat Shop. I’ll return to the U.S.A. with completely finished dresses, tops, skirts. I can honestly then say: “These are Parisian made.”

8. Grace March 19, 2010 at 10:00 #

There are a couple of places like this in the South Bay (Santa Monica Bay, not SF Bay). Land is so pricey here, many people don’t have the space to sew.

• cacoyote March 20, 2010 at 21:58 #

I used to live in Long Beach & Wilmington. Where are these places?

9. Tracie March 20, 2010 at 00:17 #

I wish we did have something like that here, I live in the burbs and I can’t get a sewing class or anything…