‘I didn’t know fabric could weigh that much’

16 May

Let’s just call the 2010 Fabric Fast a big ol bust, shall we? I sort of kept my rules though. I told myself only solids. Like half of what I got met that criteria. Baby steps. Here are my favorite pieces from PR Weekend Philly:

Pink and white Carolina Herrera silk ($5), grey silk with abstract white plaid ($5), and a yellow rayon-linen blend ($5)

I also got this awesome black with applique border print for $3 a yard. I’m thinking of making this dress again. But, with a FBA. I finally got re-fitted for bras and I’m up a cup size. Annoyed that I have to learn to really do a FBA. But loving that my girls are in their proper place for the first time in a couple months.

What I’m not showing is a black knit, black plain cotton for underlining and like 20 yards of $2 a yard lining from Jomar. I tried to carry my suitcase from the bus to the Vegan’s car since it was noticeably heavier than when I left Baltimore. It worked until I had to lift it in the trunk. All he said was, “I didn’t know fabric could weigh that much.”

I skipped shopping on Fabric Row on Saturday morning and went to a flea market with Trena, LindsayT and Spottedroo <– awesome to meet you! There, I bought two vintage jewelry sets.

The exhibit at the Philadelphia Museum of Art was just a sewer’s dream. But, the behind the scenes look at some of the collection??

Chanel coat

As the curator pulled out each piece,there was such hushed reverential silence. You would have thought Moses was coming down from the mountains with the 10 commandments.

I can’t believe it’s just one more month until I head to Montreal for more of the same, but en Francais!  I can’t thank Elaray and Karen and all the organizers who put together a phenomenal weekend.

29 Responses to “‘I didn’t know fabric could weigh that much’”

1. Carol May 16, 2010 at 16:34 #

That’s it! I am really moving into your basement now. I am SO jealous. How lucky to meet all of those wonderful women and talk about sewing!

2. Robin May 16, 2010 at 18:03 #

Oh my, how wonderful your fabrics look! Your heavy fabrics! lol I bet you all had a wonderful time.

3. Vicki May 16, 2010 at 19:00 #

Wow, what a fun time! Those outfits are amazing. Lucky you to see them up close and personal.

4. Elizabeth May 16, 2010 at 19:10 #

You did great and showed remarkable restraint! ;) I’m so glad I got to see you and Trena again. It was so fun!!! Let me know when you’re in town again.

5. Diane E May 16, 2010 at 19:33 #

Thanks for writing about the weekend and triple thanks for posting the pictures. Oh what a great weekend it must have been! Can’t wait to see what you make with your treasures.

6. arnysews May 16, 2010 at 19:39 #

Love the black/white border print, can’t wait to see it made up.

7. kathleen May 16, 2010 at 19:43 #

I would have bought that black and white fabric too – beautiful! What self control :)

8. Kathi May 16, 2010 at 19:54 #

That black and white fabric is to die for!! I cannot wait to see your finished dress!!
    Looks like you had an amazing time in Philly!! Are you taking an extra suitcase to Montreal?

9. Stephanie May 16, 2010 at 20:09 #

Ooh Montreal! I’m so jealous. That’s where I’m from and I haven’t been home in a long time.

10. A Sewn Wardrobe May 16, 2010 at 20:11 #

Those Herrera fabrics are amazing. For $5/yd? I am consumed with jealousy.

11. Denise Calhoun May 16, 2010 at 21:29 #

Ohmyohmyohmy. Oh my!

12. Melanie May 16, 2010 at 21:47 #

Hi! I’m a fellow apparel sewer from Baltimore and just wanted to hear a bit more about where to score good deals on beautiful fabric in Philie (or around here). I loved seeing the behind the scenes shots of PMA’s fashion dep’t.

13. Auntie Allyn May 17, 2010 at 06:57 #

Since you were planning to purchase only solid fabrics, now I’m not feeling quite so bad about taking all of that fabulous bold red and white knit print fabric at London Textiles! I will think of you, though, whenever I look at it (I plan to make it up very soon into, perhaps, a wrap dress.) It was great meeting you!

14. Connie B May 17, 2010 at 07:04 #

Hey thanks for letting me score the last 1/2 yard of the Caroline Herrera silk. It will be just right for the little princess. We need to have some longer convos in Montreal ma’am.

15. Lindsay T May 17, 2010 at 08:30 #

Great recap! You got some good stuff here for a girl who said she wasn’t really going to buy fabric. I’m happy with my London Textiles purchases. Good seeing you again and when are you coming to NYC?!

16. The Slapdash Sewist May 17, 2010 at 10:50 #

Seriously. Fabric gets heavy. Had so much fun at the weekend! And am looking forward to seeing your projects…

17. Susan Davis - Knitters Delight May 17, 2010 at 11:10 #

I am not so secretly stalking everyone on blog land that made it to Philly PR weekend. I am soooooo jealous! Everyone had such an amazing time. Now you tell me you are getting the french version, too. lol

18. Cricket May 17, 2010 at 15:25 #

Well, I’m sorry you’re feeling annoyed about the cup size, but I’m quite pleased you’ll be learning and posting about proper FBAs. You’ll be doing me (and I suspect many others) a great service. Think of it as a great big giant “Happy Spring to Many of You!” present to a good portion of your readers. All the ones who got the larger-than-usual portion ;) Thank you, thank you (with a little commiseration on the side)

19. ClaireOKC May 18, 2010 at 08:19 #

To stash or not to stash….you know people can collect over the strangest thing, and for we sewist, I think this is just so normal and so much better than what others may collect. It’s useful, doesn’t mold (if you take care of it), can be made up into something incredible later in time, and can bring about endless hours of creativity. I’ve made up some pieces 50 or 60 times before I cut it out! So I’ve given up feeling guilty or even just a little embarrassed about my stash…it is what it is!

20. Marjie May 18, 2010 at 17:29 #

Now I want more fabric, from Fabric Row *sob*!

But when I ordered the stuff I got about 2 weeks ago, I heard comments similar to your Vegan’s about the weight of my boxes.

I told them to suck it up and keep working out.

21. CaroleM May 19, 2010 at 11:38 #

It was great meeting you in Philly and I hope to get together in Baltimore someday. To make you feel better, I bought that black and white border print from Louise Cutting at the Atlanta Expo for $25.00 per yard.

22. senaSews May 21, 2010 at 03:32 #

Nice fabrics! I adore the applique border print!

23. brocadegoddess May 25, 2010 at 16:18 #

Oh man! These PR weekends sound so fun, and I’m practically just around the corner from Montreal compared to them being in the US, but just can’t swing it this year. Maybe one day they’ll do one in Toronto, it’s always easy for me to get there!

You’ll have to post about where to fabric shop, I’ve never done so in Montreal

Have a great time there – but just bear in mind that Quebecois is not quite the same thing as French, lol ;oP

24. Cynthia December 4, 2010 at 05:53 #

I hope you’ll have a great time in Montreal :) If you wish to shop for fabric go to St-Hubert Street between Jean-Talon and Jarry and you’ll find all sorts of fabric stores. However a lot of them are closed on Sabbath and I’m not sure they even open on Sunday !

1. Pattern Review: 2-2009-101 ‘The Fifties Coat Dress’ « Miss Celie's Pants - December 3, 2010

[...] when I went to Philadelphia this summer for PR Weekend, I found this polyester tafetta.  I knew that it was destined to be the Burda Februaru 2009 #101 [...]

2. Four Skirts in Four Days Part II: Burda 9-2009 #121 « Miss Celie's Pants - July 8, 2011

[...] purchased this material at PR Weekend Philly. Right in the middle of my fabric fast. I rarely post fabric purchases and their [...]

3. Note to Self: Don’t Sew Patterns Not Actually Modeled « Miss Celie's Pants - May 31, 2012

[...] Starting construction on a formal out of silver silk tafetta. It’s being made from stash purchased at PR Weekend in Philly when I thought I needed a dress for a wedding. During this summer’s Navy Week, there will be [...]

4. Online Worth/Mainbocher Exhibit « Miss Celie's Pants - October 9, 2012

[...] While they had no textile exhibits this year, they’ve put a great deal online with their Charles Worth and Mainbocher collection. I’ve become fairly interested in Charles Worth since visiting the Met / Brooklyn Museum of Art exhibit and Philadelphia Museum of Art backstage tour for PR Weekend. [...]

5. Hollywood Costume Exhibit | Miss Celie's Pants - January 21, 2014

[…] including Ivy Style at the Museum at FIT, High Style at the Met / Brooklyn Museum of Art and a backstage look at the Philadelphia Museum of Art. Over the last weekend, Trena and I went to see Hollywood […]