Oh, Poutine!

14 Jun

After a few travel snafaus, Trena, my mom and aunt all arrived safe and sound in Montreal. I, made a beeline for poutine!

It tasted *just* as good as it did in high school — the one and only time I’ve been in Canada. Gravy, fries, cheese curds, ground beef.  Too bad my body can’t digest you like it did when I was 18. Heartburn. Totally worth it though.

Perhaps the delicious, frothy and refreshing cider I discovered didn’t help. This, I would like to bring home. Including the adorable matching glass.

So, I’m going to try and blog a little from Montreal! I bought a netbook last week because of this and several other trip. Much easier to do work from this instead of my Blackberry?

You can’t be surprised that it’s pink, LOL! Tomorrow, bicycle tour of the city!

23 Responses to “Oh, Poutine!”

1. Elizabeth June 15, 2010 at 07:47 #

One word: JEALOUS!

2. hennasplace June 15, 2010 at 07:49 #

That dish is what I call a joint food. It is by no means fine dining, but taste great. Honey, I am not even going to try to eat something like that because my doctor will yell at me, lol. Have a wonderful time in Montreal and great day of bike riding, and glad that you finally got out of Newark Airport as there is nothing more annoying than being stuck in an airport.

• Gigi June 15, 2010 at 08:03 #

Oh my, that looks yummy. My boyfriend The Carnivore would love it! Have a good time in Montreal!

3. Claudine June 15, 2010 at 09:01 #

You maniac, with two pr weekends in one year! Have a great time!

4. Carolyn June 15, 2010 at 09:29 #

Oh I’m so glad that you are blogging from Montreal. Now at least I can feel a little like I’m experiencing the trip instead of just being jealous that I’m not there!

5. CarlaF-in Atlanta June 15, 2010 at 09:56 #

Enjoy your trip and please send the cool temperatures to Atlanta :)

6. lsaspacey June 15, 2010 at 10:49 #

Yes, delicious…but what are you wearing?!

7. Deepika June 15, 2010 at 10:54 #

I am so jealous. I wish I could enjoy Poutine! The gravy in it sadly is not vegetarian. Love the pink netbook. See you soon!

• Miss Celie June 15, 2010 at 19:14 #

Dee! This one is 100 percent vegetarian gravy! I checked for Trena.

8. mzchoize June 15, 2010 at 11:49 #

That does look delish! See, now I want a netbook. So compact and cute, and the pink is awesome too!

9. sixthofdecember June 15, 2010 at 15:11 #

Meat in poutine? Onions? Where on earth were you eating this frankenfood?? Poutine has three ingredients: cheese curds, french fries and barbeque sauce. Period. The cheese curds must squeak when you bite into them, the sauce must be hot and peppery and the fries must be dark, crunchy and deeeeeeply fried. You were led astray, my child. Poutine Lafleur is the resto with classic poutine on the menu.3665 rue Wellington in Verdun. If you’re on the bike path along the river, it’s a short detour. Go, please. I hope you have a great time in our fair city – it’s funny to think you’re rolling around somewhere near where I am right now. We may even pass each other on the bike path without knowing it!

• Miss Celie June 15, 2010 at 19:21 #

LOL! Yes, I definitely went the non-traditional route! We went to La Banquiste (sp?). I plan to eat poutine every day :0 So, I’ll be sure try it with the BBQ sauce. She said something about a pepper sauce and I deferred. I wasn’t sure quite what it would be.

10. Claire S. June 15, 2010 at 15:14 #

I just KNEW that netbook was gonna be pink before I got to the picture !

I saw your comment on PR last night – it’s warmed up some here since you arrived yesterday – maybe you don’t need a sweater after all? :-)

Man, I can’t wait to meet everyone on Friday !

• Miss Celie June 15, 2010 at 19:19 #

Yes! Today was perfect weather for a ride. I only had my jacket on in the morning and it’s going to be fantastically warm this wknd. I’m saving the museum for tomorrow afternoon since it’s calling for a little rain.

11. Victoria June 15, 2010 at 16:12 #

Poutine is quite the dish! I’m guessing it’s Canadian. I have never heard of even when I visitied Victoria, BC several years back and see I’ve been missing out! Enjoy your time in Montreal:)

12. Laura Lee June 15, 2010 at 17:17 #

OMG my mouth literally started to water when I saw that photo! May have to make a trip north just for that!!!

13. Carol June 15, 2010 at 18:35 #

You need to take a look at what the French eat. You need red wine to help digest all those milk fats. I’m sure it’s a proven fact. Surely someone has done a PhD on the subject?? If not, perhaps someone should. I’m hoping to be in Toronto in August so I may have to test my own theory. I’m just looking at the pictures of your nails to the right and the second one from the top, the greyish colour is stunning on you.

14. Alexandra June 15, 2010 at 19:50 #

You’ve already planned for it, but for your bike ride you should check out the bixi bikes that are all over the Plateau and downtown. $5 for 24 hours of bike availablility (well you can only use bike fr 30 minutes, before you must return it to a stand, but you can pick up another one 10 minutes later)

Poutine should not have anything but fries, cheese curds and gravy. but that’s my (purist) opinion :)

• Miss Celie June 15, 2010 at 20:50 #

Yes! We are going to use them the rest of the week. I really really love it here!

15. Stephanie June 15, 2010 at 20:04 #

I lived in Quebec for 16 years and never ate poutine with ground beef where did you go? Don’t forget bagels and smoked meat. Two more musts.

16. Stephanie June 15, 2010 at 20:05 #

PS I’m making myself poutine for dinner tonight! Otherwise I’d be crazy jealous.

17. Kay Y. June 15, 2010 at 20:12 #

We have poutine in Ottawa too. I have eaten it exactly once; that was the “trad” form without onions or other exotic ingredients – maybe I would like it better chez La Banquiste. See you Thursday in Mtl!

18. Christina June 16, 2010 at 16:48 #

I’m so glad you are going to be blogging from Montreal/PR weekend! Have a plate of poutine for me :)