My Big Fat Alteration

4 Jul

** Edited to add book title

First, to all in the USA, Happy Fourth of July!! In honor of the holiday, I did a theme manicure. Which is funny because I’m not huge on nail art. I don’t even really do things like french manicures. If you’re interested, you can skip to the bottom of this post.

I finally got started on my muslin of Burda 4-2002-122. I started with 42 and made a ‘large buttocks’ adjustment and the fit was great. I could possibly next time start with a 40 and adjust from there. These are possibly too baggy, but that’s the style. I thought I would show the adjustment here (That knee line might not actually *be* my knee).

There were three options in my book (Fitting and Pattern Alterations. A Multi Method Approach. Ann just wrote about it). But, I chose this one because

• The horizonal slice and spread is what I was going to do for my swayback. That’s about 1.5 to 2 inches
  • The left most slice and spread adds width where I was going to for the ‘full inner thigh’ (what I call “chub rub” adjustment
  • The widening of the dart is what I was going to do for a swayback

So, this on alteration covered my problem areas. You can see that I also added less than a 1/4 of an inch to the outer thigh. Not needed at all though since this style is so baggy. Here’s hoping it all works out in the linen too!

I’m off to the fireworks tonight at the Inner Harbor. But, I should have these sewn up tomorrow!

And speaking of fireworks:

I copied this look from here. The stamps are available here. Holiday Fun!

17 Responses to “My Big Fat Alteration”

1. Carol July 4, 2010 at 18:19 #

I love the nails!

2. Toby Wollin July 4, 2010 at 19:20 #

Very ’30s beach pants.

3. rmcandlelight July 4, 2010 at 21:12 #

Love your mani it’s beautiful!!

I was reading a blog and they mentioned laser fabric is good to use as a background for taking pictures. Have you heard of this fabric? If so where might I find this? email me at nailsbeautiqued@yahoo.com Thanks :D

4. Bunny July 4, 2010 at 21:55 #

Very interesting alterations. Are you using a specific book or have you worked these out yourself over time? Great nails!

5. Gorgeous Things July 4, 2010 at 22:12 #

Wow – those pants are so very Carol Brady!!!! I have blue nails in honor of the holiday (red white and blue – hair, t-shirt and nails). Have a great rest of the 4th!

6. nettie July 4, 2010 at 23:17 #

I will be waiting with breath that is bated for more info on the large buttocks alteration (aka-the junk in the trunk fix) as I have the same problem/issue.

7. Auntie Allyn July 5, 2010 at 05:56 #

I’m loving those pants . . . can’t wait to see the finished product!

8. Jali July 5, 2010 at 06:40 #

Might be a little late, but Happy Fourth of July, Cidell. I am loving the pattern picture for the pants. Looking forward to your finished piece.

9. Jean July 5, 2010 at 09:31 #

Love the style of those pants — should look great in linen. Hope you had fun watching the fireworks!

10. Carolyn July 5, 2010 at 12:45 #

Your nails are sooooo cute! Glad you are moving right along with the wardrobe. I’m bringing the patterns to work with me tomorrow so look for them on Wednesday or Thursday.

11. Rosie July 5, 2010 at 18:31 #

Cidell, I love the designs and colors on your nails. I cannot wait to see the pants.

12. The Slapdash Sewist July 6, 2010 at 14:35 #

Love the mani! Can’t wait to see the pants.

13. Emory July 9, 2010 at 11:21 #

I know you posted this a few days ago but I’m hoping you’ll see my comment/question. I have the same fitting book and I also need to make the ‘chub rub’ alteration on the thighs but can’t figure out exactly where to put the alteration line to slice and spread. How do you know where exactly to place it? Does it matter?

And of course, cute nails. I should mention, since you are a nail polish lover, that one of my dear friends is a beauty PR rep and one of her clients is Lippmann. I get tons of free Lippmann nail polish from her. :)

• Miss Celie July 10, 2010 at 07:56 #

This may not be helpful, but I kind of guessed. For the second pair of pants I worked on, I also added it to the front pant leg. I did it to the back leg first, but still had some drag lines.

• Miss Celie July 11, 2010 at 08:05 #

Please let her know that I succumbed to the new All the Jazz Collection, plus one with very little resistance!

1. Pattern Review: HP 1016 Riviera Hello, Sailor! Pants « Miss Celie's Pants - May 23, 2012

[...] Alterations: I made a swayback adjustment by extending the back curve and adding about a one inch wedge through the…. I cut a size 12 and these fit [...]

2. Several t’ings « Miss Celie's Pants - July 20, 2012

[...] I didn’t mention that I did not sew this pattern ‘out of the envelope’. I made my big fat adjustment for  full seat and full inner thigh and scooped 1/2 inch out of the crotch. I didn’t muslin [...]