(Fur) Collar and Earmuffs

24 Sep

When I was in Shanghai I stumbled across a fur vendor in the cloth market. A Ukrainian friend brought me a hat two years ago from silver fox. Last year she came back with a matching muff. The hat is a little impractical because it’s not quite cold enough here. And it got a little gross from my hair products. It cost more to clean it last winter than it did to make

In Shanghai, I purchased a fur collar ($15) to dress up my crappy coat.

The best detail is that there are little elastic button loops. So, it’s removable. I’ve already sewn little buttons on to my coat collar.

The earmuffs ($15) I will get a lot of wear from. I rarely need a hat. But, my ears are always cold.

I think the collar is a little poofier than I thought it would be. But, it’s totally inspired me to look for good coating. It’s time to definitely make a coat.

** I realize some people have an issue with fur. To each thier own. I personally don’t. Well, I do have an issue with floor length coats. A little too Superfly for me.

10 Responses to “(Fur) Collar and Earmuffs”

1. Nikole September 24, 2010 at 10:18 #

Fur, as in real fur? While reading I thought it was fake but then you disclaimer at the bottom has led me to believe otherwise
    I don’t have an issue with it either and I think it looks gorgeous and very versatile

2. Rosie September 24, 2010 at 11:22 #

I like the look C.

3. NuJoi September 24, 2010 at 16:27 #

Rock it! I especially love the muff. The one completely showy thing I want before I die is a full-length fur.

4. Digs September 24, 2010 at 16:56 #

Adorable! I, like many people, have a thing about fur too. But unlike the PC majority (um, minority? it often feels like a huge majority!), my thing is that I like to wear it. You and your dark coat will look smashing with all these lovely furry accents.

5. Brenda September 24, 2010 at 17:03 #

Beautiful, soft and warm! No different than leather shoes and bags!

6. Rose in SV September 24, 2010 at 19:05 #

It looks warm–do you know the type of fur it is?

7. vicki September 24, 2010 at 19:07 #

I think the fur looks classy. Being a mother (and therefore always trying to fix things) have you thought about putting a removable lining in your hat? Maybe just tack into place and then when it needs washing you can quickly unpick the stitches and wash just the lining??

8. eileensbasement September 24, 2010 at 20:40 #

I love your coat! It looks vintage fabulous. I don’t really have an issue with fur but that being said I personally prefer vintage fur. You can’t beat it for warmth!

9. eliza September 25, 2010 at 11:00 #

Love the coat, the hat, the whole deal. Too bad you don’t have the climate for luscious cold weather wrappings, which are a great consolation for the horrible northern European winters we suffer. And sorry to read that your pricy coat has been such an underperformer.

About making coats: I have made many over the years, and they are the far and away my favorite projects. They can take a long time, but they are always worth the effort because a good one lasts for years, and will always make you feel good.

Details such as welt pockets, revers collars and bound buttonholes are not difficult – you just need to find out how to make them. The hardest thing to get right, in my opinion, is deciding on the best fabric and method for backing and underlining the shell fabric, because it is so crucial to how the garment drapes and wears. Couture Sewing Techniques by Claire B Schaeffer is a fabulous resource for this:

Just in case you were wondering, I discovered your blog a short while ago after some random trawling of patternreview.com, and I have been following ever since. This is now my favorite sewing blog, along with herself over at The Selfish Seamstress.

Please go for it with the coat. You definitely have the skills. Curious to see what pattern you’d choose.

10. Gail September 26, 2010 at 04:34 #

I have an issue with fur – allergies! You new trim looks very classy.