“You Must Really Like That Dress”

25 Oct

When in Montreal this spring, my aunt noted that I must really like this red and white tunic I made from the August 2008 issue of Burda. Yes, yes I do. I wear it on all vacations, every PR weekend I’ve ever attended and with regularity each summer. It’s one of the perils of making most of your own clothes. You have a smaller stable to wear and you wear the heck out o the things you like best.

After two years, I finally made another version for fall. This time from a black, brown and grey knit I picked up in Philadelphia with Trena and Karen last October. This time, I added the sleeve from the 9-2010-121 turtleneck I made last week and added four inches at the skirt hem so it was office appropriate. Hmmm. Still a hair short for work. But, whatev.

I made this on Friday evening in about two hours. It’s entirely constructed on my serger.

My favorite feature are the tucks along the front yoke. They are often lost in my busy prints. The gathers also make for quite the boobilicious dress. Trust. I’ve had many a man distracted when wearing.

I’ve mentioned before that I don’t like hemming knits, but I had the twin needle already set up for the leotard that I went ahead and did it anyway. I must say, Ann’s posts on knits from a few years ago really changed the way I worked with them.

Christina also got me to buy this roll of knit fusible interfacing (Portland or LA. I think Portland). I use it along the hems of my knits so they are nice and stable.

Clearly, I’ve gone knit crazy now that my serger is back. Last night I cut out two more knit tops and have two purchased tee shirts I plan on refashioning.

40 Responses to ““You Must Really Like That Dress””

1. shams October 25, 2010 at 10:21 #

Very cute dress! You look GREAT in a wide belt!

2. Robin October 25, 2010 at 10:22 #

Well, it sure does look good on you (the dress you wear on vacation) and I like your newest dress, too. In your recent post about leotards, I was quite impressed with your use of the elasticator on your serger. When I bought my serger, they gave me a box of feet that I have never even opened. I bet I have one. I shall give it a try.

3. Irene October 25, 2010 at 10:38 #

Love your dress. Question – does that interfacing still retain some stretch in the hem? And I suppose it keeps the hem from stretching out while you’re stitching with the twin needle? May-be that’s what I needed to tame the hem on the latest less-than-perfect attempt in knits!

• Miss Celie October 25, 2010 at 10:47 #

For me, it helps precent tunneling between the twin needle stitches. It’s a little stretchy, but not as much. I don’t tend to use it on hems that need to retain a lot of stretchiness. It’s also seems easier (to me) to prevent the fabric from sliding so to speak when I stitching down the hem.

4. Amanda S. October 25, 2010 at 10:59 #

Great dress! I’ve got this pattern paired with some hot pink and black houndstooth – just have to get around to it. It’s such a fun look. Ooh, love the fabric on this one too.

5. DD October 25, 2010 at 11:03 #

Love the dress and the fabric. I was in Philly too but I missed that great print!!! I guess I’ll have to start stabilizing my knit hems as well. At least until I get a Coverstitch machine whenever that may be.

6. Erica B. October 25, 2010 at 11:08 #

Cute dress! I like it with the tights.

7. Lindsay T October 25, 2010 at 11:14 #

I’m still sworn off knits but you’re doing a fantastic job here. Love the last pensive pose!

8. sewforward October 25, 2010 at 11:16 #

The dress looks great. It is the perfect color combintation for your complextion, too. I like it with the tights, but I could see it with a brown or dark beige (?) color tights too, and a pair of boots. OK. I will shut up now on the wardrobe styling! I think what you’ve made it really versitle and you’ll get lots of wear from it, too.

9. Janice October 25, 2010 at 11:23 #

I love your dress! Oh how I wish Burda would put up the older patterns on their site. I see these great dresses on the blogs and want to make them but can’t get the pattern! Bah!

And the print is just great, too! I just want one!

Love your blog, btw, I read faithfully (and the blogs of several of your commenters, too). I hope to sew as well someday!

10. Stephanie October 25, 2010 at 11:56 #

I really like this one. I think it looks perfectly office appropriate. I think opaque tights can make a lot of things work for the office when it could go either way.

11. Carolyn October 25, 2010 at 11:59 #

I’m loving the print and the dress especially with the gray tights!

12. kathleen October 25, 2010 at 12:40 #

I love your dress and the tights are great too!

13. NancyDaQ October 25, 2010 at 12:49 #

Cute dress! It looks great with tights. I don’t think it’s too short for you to wear to work–on most days, anyway.

14. sensoussi October 25, 2010 at 13:52 #

Such a nice girl, just for you, i love the fabric, no problem about the technic of course

15. Denise October 25, 2010 at 13:53 #

Love the dress/tights combo!
    What kind of interfacing is that you used on the hem?

16. Shannon October 25, 2010 at 14:02 #

You look great in this dress. The print and tights work well together and it looks like you will stay cozy too. I also borrowed those sleeves for my sweetheart Jalie top. I just love the extra long length of them.

17. Angela October 25, 2010 at 14:45 #

Ooo… another great print! I can see why you’re making so many knits with your serger back.

18. Lisette October 25, 2010 at 16:56 #

I like this pattern too, I made it once. I like your version, it looks really cute with the tights. I always interface my hems on knits too, they always turned out great.

19. Carol October 25, 2010 at 18:01 #

I love the print and I love the dress. I, too, have one of these that gets dragged out every time I want comfort. I wear it short over leggings and with boots, but I really like the idea of lengthening it. Funny, that it’s such a simple idea, but I never managed to think of it myself! The long sleeve is a good idea, too and you’ve given me an idea for a knit I wasn’t sure what to do with. I will buy some of the interfacing because although I have no trouble with my twin needling, it would be nice to get rid of the tunnelling.

20. Digs October 25, 2010 at 19:53 #

Extremely cute, and beautiful fabric choice.

21. Gail October 25, 2010 at 20:39 #

Love it. great practical dress and love the way you teamed it with grey tights.

22. Rebecca October 25, 2010 at 23:15 #

I absolutely love your new dress. It is super cute!

23. sam October 26, 2010 at 00:42 #

That dress looks fabulous on you – the colors make your face/skin look downright radiant. I’ll bet it would look hot with some brown suede boots, too…

24. NuJoi October 26, 2010 at 05:17 #

I love the style and the print rocks.

25. Marie-Christine October 26, 2010 at 05:39 #

Yeah! Nothing like more of an old favorite. I must say you’re more restrained than me, I’d have made 6 by now :-). love the print on this one, as always you know how to pick them.

But isn’t it good to have a serger? I like wearing knits so much more, it’s something you have to have..

26. Ilse October 26, 2010 at 09:53 #

Great dress and you look fab

27. Nancy Karpen October 26, 2010 at 10:31 #

Cute dress and it looks wonderful with the gray tights. I do love tights.

28. summersetbanks October 26, 2010 at 10:34 #

It’s a great dress! I love both looks and I’m sure it is super comfy for wearing all day.

29. sue v October 26, 2010 at 12:21 #

very cute… this too is one of my all time favorite Burda and I have pondered a dress (I think I have 3 tunics… all from seeing your 1 red tunic).

30. Daligula October 27, 2010 at 14:39 #

I love the way you work with knits. This dress and the leotard in the past post -even though the fabric-drama- look fantastic.

Oh! I also love your belt… I l.o.v.e it! =)

31. Myra October 27, 2010 at 20:01 #

I really like this dress a lot and understand why you where it so much! You just can beat a good TNT pattern!!

32. Elizabeth October 27, 2010 at 20:16 #

HAha! I love unsolicited comments about my clothes. I love your new dress. Super cute. Great fabric choice.

33. tailyposews October 27, 2010 at 22:42 #

I just hemmed a dress to roughly the same length and, being an enormous dork, I looked it up — four inches above the knee is totally office appropriate, even to stuffy people who make up the rules.

You are tall, right? I think 4 inches above the knee just looks somehow higher on us tall people TO us tall people, but to the rest of the world it looks just fine.

Does that even make sense? Often things that sound perfectly reasonable in my head sound like crazy talk when I write them down.

34. tailyposews October 27, 2010 at 22:43 #

Oh yes, and cute dress!

35. Marjie October 28, 2010 at 17:24 #

2 hours on a serger is a great investment for a dress like that. It looks really good on you, especially with that wide belt.

Don’t our sergers spoil us in making things fast and well from knits?

36. Susan - Knitters-Delight October 30, 2010 at 00:03 #

That’s the perfect 2-hour dress. Love serger projects.

37. Jean October 30, 2010 at 10:22 #

Another cool dress — love the simplicity of the style and the bold print. I’ve never used a serger and have been wanting to try — after seeing your wonderful knit projects done on one, I have to do it!

38. Paola November 2, 2010 at 00:01 #

I’ve bought that fabric in Sydney in a purple/red colourway, and made a wrap dress with it. I really like your colour combo too.

1. Wash. Rinse. Repeat. « Miss Celie's Pants - May 16, 2011

[...] tunic from August 2008 magazine. I wore this a bit more than planned. It was great on the cooler days and it was the only top I [...]