I Should Be Charged With Neglect

18 Nov

Because, *whimper* I left the infamous Knip Mode skirt in a NYC bar last week. Never to be seen again. I realized it several days later and by the time I called there was no sign of it. I am sick about it.

Because, I washed clothes two weeks ago and accidently had the wool dress in warm instead of cold and the wool shrunk.

Because I did the same with this dress and now they both reside with a skinner friend.

So, I’m starting winter down three garments. Grrrr. I do not have enough clothes to be as careless as I’ve been :(

50 Responses to “I Should Be Charged With Neglect”

1. NancyDaQ November 18, 2010 at 13:39 #

You’ve sure had a run of unfortunate clothing incidents lately! They say these kind of things happen in 3s so hopefully you’re done for a while. Any chance of remaking some or all? After all, you’ve already worked out the fit and construction tweaks, so they should be fairly simple.

I’m sorry about losing 3 items, though. Especially your gorgeous skirt!!

• Miss Celie November 18, 2010 at 13:47 #

That’s actually how I realized it was missing! I was trying to find material to copy it in my stash and had a sinking feeling.

I don’t mind so much the camel colored dress. It was a beyotch to make and the design isn’t great. The grey one I quite liked.

• Brooke November 22, 2010 at 15:56 #

The grey dress is stunning! Is it a Burda, or some other company? I’d like to try making one like that myself…

2. Darci November 18, 2010 at 13:44 #

Darn! I loved that Knip Mode skirt!

Sorry that all of those unfortunate events happened to you. :(

3. lin3arossa November 18, 2010 at 14:08 #

You left a skirt in a bar? How did that happened? I guess you’ll have sew some more :)

• Jean S November 19, 2010 at 18:45 #

my question exactly….

4. lsaspacey November 18, 2010 at 14:10 #

Oh, so sorry too. How strange the colors are so similar, all pale neutral shades. Maybe it’s a sign?

5. Samina November 18, 2010 at 14:10 #

That stinks, but it does beg the question as to why you had the skirt in the bar? You weren’t wearing it & took it off, I hope ! I’m sorry about the other dresses, too. They really look great on you.

Also, saw on the weather channel that you Baltimoreans (?) had really bad weather. I hope you’re ok.

6. kathleen November 18, 2010 at 14:11 #

Oh NO! I hate when I do stuff like that. I really liked that skirt – I’d be upset too

7. The question in my mind has already been asked…how unfortunate…but now you can make a better skirt, Cidell!!

8. Carolyn November 18, 2010 at 14:50 #

I understand the dresses but what was the skirt doing in a bar?

9. Elizabeth November 18, 2010 at 14:51 #

OH NO!!! I feel so responsible for the skirt. I’m so sorry!!!!!!

10. Marie-Christine November 18, 2010 at 14:52 #

Oh, OUCH! And I loved that skirts. I was to going to suggest it would have been better to just mail it directly to me, but then I decided it might not be the thing to say in your current state..
    Wool shrinks from abrasion, not from heat. I wash mine in really hot water, but I only let it soak in a basin with a bit of dish detergent. Only superwash wool (a chemical process) can see the inside of a washer and survive. http://www.fuzzygalore.biz/articles/fulling.shtml

11. MelissaB November 18, 2010 at 14:54 #

You left your skirt in a bar – hopefully it wasn’t what you were wearing! lol Poor girl, get that machine busy. I’d be sad about losing that skirt too, I’ve always wanted to make one (not that I even have the pattern).

12. Gorgeous Things November 18, 2010 at 15:22 #

I don’t think I want to know how you ended up leaving a bar sans skirt! :)

13. Nikole November 18, 2010 at 15:33 #

I’m trying to figure out how you left a skirt at a bar?

14. Nancy K November 18, 2010 at 15:58 #

Woops. I rather liked the gray dress too. I guess you are going to be one busy girl in the near future.
    I am waiting along with everyone else to hear how you left your skirt in a bar.

15. Miss Celie November 18, 2010 at 16:00 #

Oh, that does sound scandalous, no? Well, I had loaned it to Elizabeth (Sew a Beginner) and she gave it back to me. I thought I had put it away but I think it just fell out of my bag or I moved it out my bag to get to my wallet and I didn’t think about it until a few days later. So, nothing scandalous! I didn’t enter the bar wearing said skirt and leave without!

• Claudine November 18, 2010 at 16:19 #

That’s what I was picturing, and I was wondering why you were so anxious to tell the entire world about this.

• Rose in SV November 18, 2010 at 19:56 #

Phew! I was wondering how that happened. Ahh, well, it’s time to make another one!

• Christy Alex November 19, 2010 at 09:27 #

Thanks for clearing that up! I was thinking you had a really great time at the bar.

16. Summerset November 18, 2010 at 16:09 #

No. Really?!? Ugh. I just wore my plaid one about a week ago and thought about yours and how that I haven’t seen too many skirts like that. Well, at least you weren’t wearing it right before you left it.

17. Lisa November 18, 2010 at 16:17 #

Thanks for asking the question Ann, because I was dying to know what clothing you were wearing when you left the bar, Cidell! ;)

Too bad about the clothing however. Hope you find some pretty material if you make it again.

18. Jill November 18, 2010 at 16:26 #

Been there. Soooo done that.

19. dawn November 18, 2010 at 16:32 #

I want to hear the story about leaving your bottom clothing in a bar.

20. Gail November 18, 2010 at 17:11 #

There is a method of relaxing wool fibres that have strunk. I’ll see if I can find it and send it to you.

21. fitz November 18, 2010 at 17:12 #

i’m so sorry about your stunner of a skirt. but now you * have * to make more! and that can’t be bad. more! in more colors!

22. Victoria November 18, 2010 at 17:13 #

Oh no, you poor thing *hugs*. Hope you’re able to make up for the losses

23. Anne November 18, 2010 at 17:15 #

That is too bad, guess you need to make another yet.
    I absolutely love that skirt, I should draft the front panel to make one for myself, but other projects keep getting in the way!

24. Rita November 18, 2010 at 17:39 #

Bad news, but look on the bright side, now you have to sew which is never a bad thing. But, yes it does suck.

25. lakaribane November 18, 2010 at 19:13 #

Potidyabe (poor little devil = poor baby here). I’m so sorry! But I’ve been there and you will get over it.

On the other hand, you are making me want all these outfits and your boots!

I think you need some sewing/fabric therapy…

26. lakaribane November 18, 2010 at 19:14 #

ugh, can’t even speak my own language. It’s spelled POTIDYAB

27. Vicki November 18, 2010 at 19:34 #

Already mentioned, but the first thing I thought was “what was she doing taking her skirt off in the bar in the first place???”

28. Stephanie November 18, 2010 at 20:17 #

Ooh, sorry. That’s a NICE skirt too.

29. SA November 18, 2010 at 21:14 #

Come on now fess up ……What was going on in the bar that made you take off your skirt and then leaving it without it too !

30. Marty November 18, 2010 at 22:25 #

Darn! It is funny that you lost a skirt in a bar! I have to carve out some time for sewing-I’ve gone to work for Macy’s and the associates all wear black. They give you certificates to help with the clothing cost, but every other associate has already hit the racks and the black stuff is gone. I’d rather wear something I’ve made, anyway!

31. Marie-Christine November 19, 2010 at 04:19 #

Meanwhile, I was washing the grey corduroy pants that were the staple of my weekend wardrobe with some new grey/black wool that I thought would make a nice shirt for them. One pair of pants down, the wool bled dye horribly and the pants are unwearable (well, for painting perhaps..). Sigh. Hate when those things are contagious.

By the way, you may not have forgotten your skirt in the bar. Presumably, you were showing it off. I’ve found that my handmade clothes attract sticky fingers like you wouldn’t believe. I’ve never had anyone steal something bought, but I’ve had at least half a dozen cases of handmade clothes be stolen. So don’t flog yourself, but be more careful next time, especially in a bar.

32. Sewista Fashionista November 19, 2010 at 08:30 #

Sounds like a small spell of bad luck. I think Marie-Christine is right about the possibility of theft. That skirt was to die for. Sometimes folks think custom sewn is just like store-bought with better fabric and technique. Well, no it’s custom which means the fit is so unique that two women may have the same RTW size but not fit into each other’s custom garments. What I am leading up to is – if the skirt was stolen you can be sure it doesn’t look as good on her as it does on you!

33. The Slapdash Sewist November 19, 2010 at 11:27 #

Oh, so sad that you can’t get the skirt back. :( It’s such a fabulous skirt.

34. Angela November 19, 2010 at 11:47 #

Oh no!! I’m sorry about your clothes! I guess that just means more fabric buying and sewing. :D

35. Aminat November 19, 2010 at 16:19 #

Are you kidding me, I just ordered this pattern when I Shoe and Sew posted hers sometimes last week and linked to your post…o, I will be so sad too, sure you can make it again.

36. Lindsay T November 19, 2010 at 16:32 #

Ack! Do you want me to go over there and ask in person about it? Happy to on Monday.

37. BeeBee November 19, 2010 at 22:02 #

YOU LOST THE KNIP MODE SKIRT? WTF!? Where? I’ll go look for you.

38. Jean November 20, 2010 at 10:12 #

Oh no! I LOVE that skirt. All of the NYers out there had better keep their eyes open for some woman wearing your skirt! I hope you make another one, because it is too cute to not have for winter.

39. Alicia B. November 20, 2010 at 12:12 #

Okay, I love the Knip Mode skirt!!! Thanks for the explanation about leaving it in a bar. I was ready to invite you to Colorado to go clubbing!!

40. Myra November 21, 2010 at 08:12 #

Soooo sorry for your loss! I absolutely hate when I do something like that too! I accidently left a brand new goregous pair (only worn once) shoes in a hotel room. Called right back like you did and was told nothing was found in the room! Oh well! Maybe you can duplicate the skirt later.

41. Connie November 22, 2010 at 12:42 #

Now I have visions of you running skirtless down the streets of NYC. Really Renee- how could you! Pantless I could see- or even topless. Topless would even be legal in Ontario if you really want to try it. We could lose a favourite shirt of yours in some great bars in Toronto.
    Just saying, my friend- just sayin’!!

42. Amber December 8, 2010 at 11:23 #

This post just makes me sad for you. :( I hope you’re able to make another version of the skirt – it’s really a beauty.

1. Sometimes Purple, Sometimes Cranberry Pleated Dress: Burda Magazine 10-2009 #119 « Miss Celie's Pants - February 14, 2011

[...] with Burda 10-2009-119 . I first made it in January 2010. I wore it consistently but shrank it in a vigorous wash over the summer. Sadly, I’m not in love with this version as I was with the [...]