First World Problems

26 Nov

How come I woke up this morning to have apple pie for breakfast and found myself actually salty  that my friend’s sister-in-law only put one tiny sliver in my take home bag from Thanksgiving Dinner? Like, seriously irritated and pouting. Talk about First World Problems.

Yesterday I whipped up another 2-2009-108 knit tee to wear to Thanksgiving. This one was cut several weeks ago and I finally switched to white serger thread. Again, under an hour to construct. I love this print. You may remember it from my failed HP Cosmo dress. I rarely keep leftover bits of materials. That is one step too close to hoarding for me. But, this was just enough to eek out the 3/4 sleeve version. I would love a red pencil skirt to go with this.

I did make a swayback adjustment but it’s not really working very well on the dressform or on me. I think I need to just accept that a three inch swayback is normal for me.

I’m still plugging away at the 2-2009-101 Fifties Dress. I took a break yesterday because I’m getting sick of it. The collar doesn’t lay the way I want and you can see the front is a bit off grain. Also, my roommate asked me if it was a ‘Christmas Dress or a coat’. I took step back and realized this won’t be a day-to-day work dress like I planned. It’s a bit too ‘Mad Men’ for my office. So, I lost some enthusiasm for it. But, this morning I fixed the collar and realized the grain isn’t anything some snaps won’t fix. Today am ready to at least tackle the sleeves. I really, really hope to get this one done this weekend. My next project is already cut and waiting to be sewn.

This isn’t me, and the  Madesn Bicycle contest is over. But, doesn’t she look like it could be me? I would borrow someone’s children just to re-create the image!

Madsen Cycles Cargo Bikes

25 Responses to “First World Problems”

1. Digs November 26, 2010 at 10:00 #

May I encourage you to finish this dress? It’s fabulous, perfect for the feminine figure. You’ll love wearing it, I promise. No one will ever notice the off-grain front, either. I made two versions – summer and winter (http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/search.pl?search=search&patternid=35471&CompanyID=3&PatternNumber=02-2009-101 yes both are mine, how about you add your review?!) and get tons of compliments each time, too. Just do it!

2. Shelley November 26, 2010 at 10:23 #

Love the top and it must have looked gorgeous on you yesterday! And I don’t get the roommate’s comments. The dress looks fab. Love the fullness of the skirt. A small sliver of pie — someone just mentions the word “pie” and my mouth starts to water. I did post Erin Karpluk photos on my blog. She was wonderful. Wish you could have been there!

3. nettie November 26, 2010 at 10:24 #

I love that print! And the bike. I actually could slip right into that advertisement. Same hair and twins to throw in the back ;o)

4. Carolyn November 26, 2010 at 10:24 #

Yes, you need a red pencil skirt to go with the t-shirt! Do you have red fabric? If not let me know I have several pieces in red that I would be happy to send you a cut of! Email me ~ we should talk! *LOL*

And I agree with Digs, please finish the dress it is going to be amazing! Sometimes you just have to show another side of yourself…and this dress does that!

5. Rose November 26, 2010 at 10:32 #

Oi querida!!
    Lindo este vestido, e a blusa um amor!!
    beijos!!

6. Jali November 26, 2010 at 10:35 #

These two pieces seem like they came right out of a magazine, never mind that the dress is still unfinished. Would love to see it finished and on you. It’s going to look great on.

7. Elizabeth November 26, 2010 at 10:45 #

Love your new top. That print is TDF. And definitely finish the dress. It’s gorgeous. Don’t doubt yourself. You’re on a roll!

8. Robin November 26, 2010 at 11:21 #

Thanksgiving is not complete UNLESS you are annoyed with at least one person!
    Cute top – it’ll be perfect with a red pencil skirt.

9. Diane Egelston November 26, 2010 at 12:08 #

Love the top. Love love love the dress. Looks like a garment to build a whole experience around. How about a dinner party? Where you are the elegant hostess? I’m glad you’re finishing it and I can’t wait to see it on you. Also, why the heck can’t you wear the dress to work if you wish. Everyone will be jealous.

10. Nancy K November 26, 2010 at 12:20 #

Except for me, pie was breakfast here too. A tradition.
    Like the dress, like the top and yes, you should finish the dress it’s the perfect style for your figure. Red pencil skirt would be fab.

11. Gail November 26, 2010 at 13:41 #

Love the tunic and the dress. I don’t see the vintage look in the dress – perhaps because I don’t watch Mad Men. You do look like the girl in the photo. Now you need to show us a photo of you wearing a ribbon headband in your hair.

12. Rachel November 26, 2010 at 13:46 #

I love your top and dress. I have been pouting today too. There is a pair of boots at JCPenney I want that are on sale for $29.99–until 1pm. They are sold out online and I found them in a store 2.5 hours from me. I called them to get them to ship the boots, and they won’t do it without a JCPenney credit card. WHAT?!?!? I cannot go pick them up because I have plans that I have to keep today. While you pout over your apple pie, I will pout over my boots.

13. kathleen November 26, 2010 at 16:49 #

Love the top and the dress looks wonderful. A teeny slice of pie is a CRIME! I would whine too :)

14. Myra November 26, 2010 at 18:36 #

Love, love, love the top! True, it would look really good with a red pencil skirt. Will we get to see the top on you??

15. Gail November 27, 2010 at 04:03 #

I hope you do finish the dress. It is very promising – and as I’m planning to make it in our Autumn I’d like to see it on a real person!

16. beckyw November 27, 2010 at 11:17 #

I love the dress. I hope you finish it. I don’t get your roommates comment either. If you want to break it up a bit, wear it with a black cardigan sweater.

17. Marty November 27, 2010 at 11:21 #

My breakfast this morning is going to consist of pumpkin pie and the last bit of slightly deflated whipped cream, since we are out of eggs and nobody else seems to feel the urgency to go get some. Actually they’re as busy as I am, so I will forgive them and eat the pie!

18. Marty November 27, 2010 at 11:22 #

Oh yeah, and a girl can never have too many good-fitting, classy T’s!

19. Jean November 27, 2010 at 11:29 #

I think a red pencil skirt would be fab! Love the t-shirt print (and that pattern — I’ve been wanting to make that since that issue of Burda came out but still haven’t gotten around to it!) Cherry pie for breakfast over here.

20. Sewista Fashionista November 27, 2010 at 17:39 #

I love the tee! In under an hour too, how satisfying is that? Your fifties dress looks like a winner. When you come to the office wearing this awesome dress they will certainly see that the vintage shirtdress is the in thing.

21. meli88a November 27, 2010 at 21:05 #

Oooh. I love the print in that knit top and am with all the votes for you finishing that shirt dress. Now that I’ve seen the bones of it I’m thinking I might need to dig out my Burda 2/2009 for that same dress…

22. Isabelle November 28, 2010 at 06:40 #

I remember this print! Love the t-shirt. Of course you have to finish this dress. And you know what? It would actually work perfectly to recreate the bike picture. ;)

23. The Slapdash Sewist November 30, 2010 at 17:23 #

I had pumpkin pie for dinner last night. It was awesome.

24. Amber December 8, 2010 at 11:21 #

Cute top! I’ve made the 02-2010 version, which turned out just okay for me. Seems from the reviews that I need to track down this pattern instead as folks seem to like it much better.

25. lin3arossa January 20, 2011 at 18:22 #

Love that last picture. Ibet you’ll like this: http://notcouture.notcot.org/post/7789/