My JacketCoat: Burda Magazine 10-2010-107

13 Dec

While sitting at my desk wearing my Jacket/Coat, the scheduler says, “Oh, you still have your coat on. I guess your not planning on staying.” Hillarious. Yeah, it kind of looks like a coat. But, I’m wearing it as a jacket!! The fabric is really not that thick, but it is fulled so it appears to be thicker than it is. Later, she told me the contrast shawl collar looked like a scarf to her. Ha!

The pattern calls for wool velour. I’m not quite sure what that is. And, I honestly didn’t check the fabric suggestion before deciding to use this plum wool. I purchased it with Carolyn and Metro Textiles back in November 2007 at my first PR Weekend. Holy cow. I’d never spent so much money in my life on fabric. Hmm, happy to report that I’ve sewn all of those knits. And, now — just one of those wovens.  Oy.

My roots are awful. I swear I'm coloring them this week.

The pattern calls for a split collar. I’m not sure the design feature is noticeable enough to pursue it in future. I made mine in a contrast wool from the Carol Collection as I was short on material.

The entire coat is interfaced with a light knit fusible interfacing. The pattern called for the pockets, fronts, underams and upper sleeves to be interfaced.

Ha! I look like a flasher.

I did line the jacket. It’s not pretty (up close) but it’s done.  I don’t often make jackets nevermind line them. Mostly because of this hot mess. Maybe that’s why it’s taken me two years to try another.

The shoulders were too long on me by one inch. I reduced them 1/2 inch. That’s about the only alteration I’ve made (and could have taken more out of the right).

I made a two inch swayback adjustment.

From the side, it’s clear you are all right and I need to add length back to the bottom.

Carolyn is right. It’s so warm and cozy. Yet professional looking I don’t care if it looks like a coat or not :)

52 Responses to “My JacketCoat: Burda Magazine 10-2010-107”

1. Diane Egelston December 13, 2010 at 11:34 #

Just beautiful.

2. Rachelle December 13, 2010 at 11:39 #

Perfect colour, perfect cut, totally flattering shape!

I have to say, you’ve been really on your game lately. Granted, you and your garments always look frigging great, but wowsa, for the last couple of months, you’ve been lookin’ especially incredible! I’m just saying!

3. Robin December 13, 2010 at 11:44 #

Looks fantastic! Love the belt with it. Shows off your wonderful waistline.

4. lsaspacey December 13, 2010 at 11:59 #

I am so loving that jacket/coat, great job! Also love the color combination.

By the way, had no idea your hair had gotten so long. I need to stretch out mine more often and show off the length.

5. Victoria December 13, 2010 at 11:59 #

Very lovely jacket! You look so great in it! I definitely see more jackets in your future:)

6. Carolyn December 13, 2010 at 12:26 #

First I’m glad the coat is warm and I didn’t realize that the fabric was from that first Metro Textiles trip! And it did turn out beautifully!!! As for the jacket comment, just ignore it.

I’m really enjoying all of your recently sewn garments too!

7. Marjie December 13, 2010 at 12:42 #

It’s really beautiful. Glad you’re enjoying it.

8. Nancy K December 13, 2010 at 12:51 #

It’s lovely on you.
    Sometimes necessity gives a good return, and the gray contrast is a case in point as it works very well. A nice professional look, especially with the leather belt but not too tailored, which I know you don’t love.

9. Rosie December 13, 2010 at 12:54 #

It looks great! Nice and cozy!

10. Denise December 13, 2010 at 12:59 #

Very nice! You really have inspired me to try some of the patterns in Burda that I might not have attempted otherwise.

11. A Sewn Wardrobe December 13, 2010 at 13:13 #

This is stunning! I just adore the grey trim. What an inspired idea.

12. Jane M December 13, 2010 at 13:14 #

Look at your tiny, warm waist in that gorgeous jacket! Wonderful result from the pattern. You made a great decision to interface the whole thing, it looks stable but not bulky. Bravo!

13. lisette December 13, 2010 at 13:19 #

It looks wonderful on you! Your waist looks tiny and the color is extremely flattering on you. Maybe now you will be more excited to sew jackets. Congratulations!

14. Hatty December 13, 2010 at 13:27 #

Your jacket coat looks great. On the length issue, I always add that length back in over my rear (a sort of “reverse swayback” if you like, because that’s where the curve that requires the fabric is. So you are moving the fullness FROM the small of your back TO your rear, rather than to the end. Kenneth King did an article on moving fullness in skirts (width-wise) that was a lightbulb moment for me. Try it. I promise you will like it. Amongst other things it makes it easier to get your grainline back on true.

15. nettie December 13, 2010 at 13:34 #

I LOVE IT!! The fit is fantastic and the contrast collar looks great.

16. MelissaB December 13, 2010 at 14:23 #

Oh I love it! The contrast collar is so cool.

17. The Slapdash Sewist December 13, 2010 at 14:43 #

We gotta do what it takes to stay warm. I like it–the shawl collar looks great in the contrast color.

18. Shirley December 13, 2010 at 14:46 #

The scheduler was just jealous. The jacket is fab.

19. Tasia December 13, 2010 at 15:29 #

It’s so cosy-looking! I like the contrast collar, it frames your face nicely. Great coat-jacket!

20. Joyce in NC December 13, 2010 at 16:02 #

The jacket is great! It fits well and look just lovely on you.

21. Carol December 13, 2010 at 16:16 #

I agree with all the others. I really like this jacket. The colours suit you and it looks super comfortable.

22. Colleen P. December 13, 2010 at 16:17 #

You need ten thousand other tops in that aubergine color-it is absolutely lovely on you! I agree with your assessment of the fit issues, but I honestly don’t think they’re so obvious that it should stop you wearing the jacket. It does look SO cozy!

23. JoanneM December 13, 2010 at 16:23 #

Stunning jacket. Belt looks fantastic with it.

24. Ilse December 13, 2010 at 16:35 #

What a great job. You look fantabulous wearing it. Who cares what over people think.

25. Samina December 13, 2010 at 16:43 #

I think it looks great on you. As you said, it looks cozy & warm. Lovely color, too. BTW, you need to work on your lewd leer so that you can perfect your flasher pose!

26. Gail December 13, 2010 at 16:55 #

I do like this one a lot and the work is very good. I’d love something like this in a knit for our mild winter.

27. donnamel December 13, 2010 at 18:37 #

i wish i had that pattern…i love it! love the plum, love the fit, i can imagine it’s coziness. good job!

28. allisonc December 13, 2010 at 18:53 #

Your jacket looks fantastic, i love the two contrasting colours and you coordinate with your walls perfectly!

29. daiyami December 13, 2010 at 19:15 #

Super flattering and beautiful. Love the shape of the collar.

30. brocadegoddess December 13, 2010 at 19:23 #

Trés Chic!

31. beth5646 December 13, 2010 at 20:42 #

I LOVE your coat/jacket. The color combination is great and looks beautiful on you. I am so envious of your ability to make alterations. I was looking through your sewing machines—I have a Pink Morse too!!!

32. spottedroo December 13, 2010 at 20:47 #

well it looks fantastic! great color, love the contrast color, looks really sharp with the belt.

33. Mary in FL December 13, 2010 at 21:06 #

I like your jacket, and warm and cozy are important, too. You look stunning in all your pictures!

34. Leanne December 13, 2010 at 22:08 #

That is so chic! I love it! And looks warm too. It’s about 8 degrees here today, so something warm for the office is very appealing to me.

35. Melanie December 13, 2010 at 22:32 #

Your jacket is beautiful. I am a new reader to your blog. I love that you sew a lot. I am making more time to sew again. Happy Holidays

36. Brenda December 14, 2010 at 00:15 #

Beautiful. Those colors sparkle on you. Wonderful job.

37. Shannon December 14, 2010 at 01:17 #

I just love the color of your jacket and it looks very flattering on you!

38. Sherry December 14, 2010 at 03:49 #

Lovely! The colours are neat together and really suit you. I think aubergine goes with so many things, it is almost a neutral!
    Hatty’s comment above about the ‘reverse’ adjustment over the buttock sounds good to me. I’ve been analysing SBA’s lately and did a recent post you might be interested in, and I’d love to hear your opinion too!
    And if you could show me an adjustment that would give me a waist like yours….!

39. Marie-Christine December 14, 2010 at 06:36 #

Another fabulous thing :-)..
    But you know, it does look like a coat. No way can it pass for just a jacket. When you say “it’s not thick it’s fulled”, that’s not totally accurate, fulling always thickens a fabric. But considering the temperatures lately, I think you’re perfectly entitled to wearing a coat inside :-).
    Have you looked at the fashion incubator tutorials on how to bag a jacket? I used to cry every time, but this has really fixed me up, and the results are better than ever before..

40. Sewista Fashionista December 14, 2010 at 09:36 #

It does look professional and offices are often quite cold. You can call it an in-between, warmer than an office jacket, but not for outdoors. Once when I tried on a home-sewn dress my husband told me I looked like Moses coming down from the mountain. People will say anything. Some of which must be ignored.

41. Christy Alex December 14, 2010 at 09:52 #

I love the jacket/coat. You made it wear it however you want. The color looks great on you and i love the choice of the contrast color of grey. It’s beautiful!

42. Kathryn Hosfelt December 14, 2010 at 10:40 #

Cidell, I love your jacket/coat! It looks awesome on you. I really enjoy reading your blog. I thought you might enjoy seeing this sewing machine since you love vintage machines: http://wichita.craigslist.org/atq/2109644231.html
    It says it is from the 1800′s. I had never seen a coffin top like that. I am looking for a new machine for my mom for Christmas and happened upon this. Thank you for your wonderful blog! I get a great deal of pleasure reading it. Kathryn from Topeka, KS

43. Kelly December 14, 2010 at 17:18 #

That color looks great on you. I don’t know what you’ve been doing lately but you look fabulous!

44. Sue December 15, 2010 at 06:51 #

Don’t you love it when others feel they can pass comment on what you wear (or anything else). Do they look at themselves in the mirror or just assume that everyone feels that their fashion ‘rules’ are the only ones used? Excuse me while I vent – hate rule-making people esp, when theri rules are narrow!

45. Sue December 15, 2010 at 06:54 #

Sorry – forgot to say – love the jacket, particularly the contrast collar!

46. NuJoi December 15, 2010 at 07:20 #

Looks great. Love the color combination.

47. senaSews December 15, 2010 at 10:24 #

Your jacket looks very nice, and comfy, and cosy, …. great job!

48. vicki December 15, 2010 at 15:45 #

I really like it. Looks so flattering on you. And cosy!

49. Инна December 16, 2010 at 02:53 #

Красиво и хорошо сшито, и цвет, на мой взгляд, вам очень идёт

50. Amber December 16, 2010 at 13:47 #

That jacket is so sharp! The plum is a beautiful color on you, but I also like the contrast for the collar. Total win!

51. Elizabeth H. December 21, 2010 at 11:20 #

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

52. Bhoomika January 4, 2011 at 15:05 #

This is fabulous. Totally unexpected color combo. I have to admit, I wasn’t so sure about the shape or contrast collar when you first posted about it, but all these features look awesome in the end. (and absolutely perfect on you.) This is inspiring me to feel better about some of my own fabric choices that I’ve stashing for future projects. Yay!