Two Vintage Finds — Oh. And Home Dec.

12 Feb

I recently discovered Dubois Textiles in Southwest Baltimore. There, they sell vintage clothes and remnant home goods textiles from Southern Mills. It’s not thrift store. They have a massive amount of merch. Unfortunately, I forgot my camera. But, check their Facebook Page to see what I’m talking about.

While there, I bought these two vintage dresses for less than $20 each. If you think the minty green dress has a teeny waist, it does. On me, the buckle is on the largest setting and I will be investing in spanx. But, it’s DARLING. I also dug the flight attendant vibe from the latter garment. These dresses were pristine. Polyester my friends, is indestructible.

I also bought some material at $5 a yard to make curtains for my dining room and living room (you can see one room from the other). They carry Lily Pulitzer too!

The fabric is brown and aqua. My walls are plum in the living room and pale lavender in the dining room.

Now, I just need to actually *make* them. And some place mats. And possibly a table cloth. Oh, Home Dec. How I loathe you.

17 Responses to “Two Vintage Finds — Oh. And Home Dec.”

1. Mary in FL February 12, 2011 at 11:32 #

Nice dresses! Home dec gets low priority at my house, sometimes holding up other projects while waiting for me to get my home-dec mojo back … argh!

2. Susan - Knitters-Delight February 12, 2011 at 12:04 #

That store sounds fabulous.

3. oonaballoona February 12, 2011 at 12:16 #

oh, making home dec stuff is the WORST. i’ve had bedroom curtains cut and ready to sew for THREE MONTHS.

your fabric is gorgeous though, and it must have eased the oncoming pain to score those dresses!

4. Marty February 12, 2011 at 12:24 #

The clothing manufacturers quit making clothing out of polyester because it wore forever and people weren’t buying the new stuff! Now the stuff you find in even the upscale department stores is just cheap crap. Hence, we sew. (If we can find decent fabrics!)

5. Marty February 12, 2011 at 12:25 #

P.S. I have curtains ready to make for my “new” office, but they seem to be constantly moved to the back of the line. Why is that-curtains are easy? Not so much fun, I guess.

6. blankenmom February 12, 2011 at 13:15 #

LOVE that first dress! Great find.

7. montanachic February 12, 2011 at 13:35 #

Ha, I know how you feel, I have fabric waiting to be sewn into curtains also :(

8. peacockchic February 12, 2011 at 14:11 #

oh I love the second flight attendant one!! That neck scarf just makes it all work. Love it

9. Renae February 12, 2011 at 15:04 #

Love the dresses! I hope one day to wear fitted clothes and look lovely in them!

10. Debbie Cook February 12, 2011 at 16:10 #

Add me to the list of those with fabric waiting to be curtains. Love those dresses – so groovy.

11. Lindsay T February 12, 2011 at 17:50 #

Wait, are you saying they carry Lilly Pulitzer FABRIC??? Because I have been put on high alert to find LP fabric.

12. Annie February 12, 2011 at 19:35 #

Very cute dresses!

My bedroom is the exact colors of your living room. My inspiration was from the pavilion room Hillwood museum In DC.

13. Shelley February 13, 2011 at 07:44 #

Love the plum and lavender in your house! Not so sure about the vintage. At 55 I have to get used to things that happened during my lifetime being…vintage. I can tell you this, also: wear the funky fashions now, while you’re young. When you get get older you can’t go there unless you want to be taken for a mad person…

14. Jean February 13, 2011 at 09:29 #

The dresses are super cute, especially the flight attendant one. I love your living room walls — very cool! I’ve been trying to get my husband to help paint our walls (I want one wine red wall as an accent) but no go — he just wants to keep all of them white!

15. Kim Hood February 14, 2011 at 08:16 #

I am another trying to avoid curtain making. It seems to be heading toward epidemic proportions. (But wont we feel smug when they are done?)

16. narcissaqtpie February 14, 2011 at 08:48 #

Thanks for the tip! I’m gonna check it out.

17. Maia Dobson March 28, 2012 at 21:28 #

I love the mint vintage dress and it’s super small waist belt! The clothing manufacturers kept it simple but perfectly striking.