Vogue 8120: Blue Silk Dupioni Blouse

17 Apr

My mom is always lamenting that she can never find nice blouses for a reasonable price at the mall.

So, I brought material from home down to Florida with me. After a run to Joann’s we picked out this Vogue  8120 blouse pattern (they were on sale this week).

I figured making her a blouse was a fair trade off for all the stuff I’ve lifted on this trip (digital camera, vintage pink pyrex casserole, off set spatula, slippers, potato masher….).

Instead of a muslin we did a quick pin fit. Man, I wish I could pin fit myself! What a time saver!  I took two inches of width out the back,  made a two inch swayback adjustment for her and added two inches at the front waist.

The silk is a black and blue crossweave from Fabric Mart. This silk frays badly and needs to be underlined for structural reinforcement. I’ve had garments from this type of material before that have ripped just from looking at it. This underlining gives it a beefier feel. Kind of like an unstructured jacket.

And, because I have no serger or zig zag machine in Florida, I was forced to sew French seams. I say ‘forced’ because in 20 years of sewing I’ve not made a single functional French seam.

Christina was so troubled by this that when I invited myself to her place in Seattle two years ago she literally sat me down to show me how they are made. It’s a pretty way to finish the seams. I even did them around the arm hole.

I used fabric selvedge along the biasy edges of the bodice. This gave me something to ease the fullness onto and keeps it from stretching out.

I made small ties on the inside to tie on the left.

And, my mom had this brooch since their time in Korea and added it to the top.

My mom asked if I was going to make her something every time I visited. I didn’t respond.

Here’s my dad inspecting my work. Honestly, I’m not sure he realized I actually knew how to sew, LOL. He told me ‘good job’. I suspect I’ll have to make something for him next.

I also bought another pattern for a skirt. But, I feel the need to sit around the pool on my last day here and do nothing. I hear it’s raining at home and there was a tornado warning. Plus, I had the asinine idea of leaving here at 7:00 a.m. so I could be at work around 10:00 on Monday. Which of course means I have to get up at 4:30. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

95 Responses to “Vogue 8120: Blue Silk Dupioni Blouse”

1. Renee April 17, 2011 at 13:10 #

What a fantastic blouse. Your mom looks very pleased with it.

2. Hashi April 17, 2011 at 13:13 #

Wow! How lovely! You did a great job :-)
    I know what you mean about coming home from Mom’s with kitchen stuff. I thought I was the only one that did that …

3. Elena April 17, 2011 at 13:17 #

Wow! Your mom and the blouse look stunning! Thank you for the photos of the inside works of the blouse. Once I learned how to do do French seams, I loved the process; it’s really quite easy, just time consuming compared to the serger. I’ve used them to avoid threading the serger!

4. Elena April 17, 2011 at 13:21 #

Oh! I wanted to add: whenever my daughter visits she leaves with a ton of stuff, some of which I’ve pressed on her. It’s a great exchange for the way it makes me feel!

5. Carolyn April 17, 2011 at 13:26 #

Re leaving tomorrow morning ~ think of it this way, you do get another full day at the pool today! And the blouse is beautiful! Love the pin your Mom added to it!

6. Samina April 17, 2011 at 13:30 #

Your mom looks lovely in that lovely blouse!

7. Shirley April 17, 2011 at 13:30 #

The blouse looks stunning on your mother. I didn’t look closely at the picture of your father, but I think you get your lovely smile from your beautiful mother.

8. Gorgeous Things April 17, 2011 at 13:37 #

Your mother is stunning and the blouse is beautiful! What a great daughter you are.

9. K-Line April 17, 2011 at 13:38 #

OMG – your mother looks fantastic! She is so chic and the top is so chic and together it’s like chic overload! My mother would freak from happiness if I made her something that fancy and complicated-looking.

10. Bold Sewist April 17, 2011 at 13:50 #

Wow! What a beautiful mom! And the blouse is simply stunning on her! I love thinking that your dad didn’t realise you could sew!

11. Julie Culshaw April 17, 2011 at 13:56 #

Beautiful blouse and your mom looks great. Now I see where you get your wonderful figure from!

12. KC April 17, 2011 at 14:02 #

That’s a really beautiful blouse and your Mom looks beautiful in it! Last time my daughter came home I sewed something for her but couldn’t make her take the kitchen stuff I wanted to offload. Your Mom’s a winner on both counts!

13. Janet B April 17, 2011 at 14:10 #

Those early morning flights always seem like a good idea.

Your mom looks beautiful. The blouse is lovely too!

14. Patti April 17, 2011 at 14:24 #

Stunning! And yes, you should make at least one parent something on each visit – you can tell your work is truly appreciated by them.

15. Toby Wollin April 17, 2011 at 14:43 #

Your mom is right – you CAN’T find nice blouses at the mall. And you made her a really great one and she looks fab in it.

16. Laura April 17, 2011 at 14:46 #

What a beautiful blouse! Those french seams really make the inside lovely as well.

17. sdBev April 17, 2011 at 14:47 #

The blouse is lovely, so is your mom.

18. montanachic April 17, 2011 at 15:04 #

Beautiful, I feel the same way about pin fitting. I am debating the dress form purchase just so I can pin fit things.

19. lisette April 17, 2011 at 15:23 #

Great job! Your mom looks very elegant.

20. JoanneM April 17, 2011 at 15:24 #

Your mother is stunning. You did a beautiful job.

21. SewOm April 17, 2011 at 15:25 #

Its beautiful and it totally fits your Mom – physically and stylistically (I’m guessing, from the pictures.)

22. JudithNYC April 17, 2011 at 15:34 #

Your mother looks lovely in her new blouse. I am going to go buy that pattern as soon as I am done here!

And, yes, you have to sew your mom something every time you visit and your dad too. he, he. But seriously, I lost my mom last summer (she was much older than your mom, rest easy) and after everyone left I stayed in her house for a couple of weeks to dispose of most of her clothing, etc. You cannot imagine the amount of comfort it gave me every time I found something I had made for my mommie. She appreciated my work so much!

23. Amy L April 17, 2011 at 15:42 #

Love the color and the style. Nice work and so nice to sew for the family! I’ve made a tradition to sew my sister something for her birthday the last few years.

24. Andrea April 17, 2011 at 16:13 #

Your mom looks lovely in the blouse you made her.

25. themateriallady April 17, 2011 at 16:14 #

That looks fabulous (and had it been my mum I would probably have already ‘liberated’ the brooch!)
    I’m sure she would be happy to have you stay any time but if you make her something as nice as that you would be really welcome.
    P.S. If you want to sew in the UK anytime……

26. Meg April 17, 2011 at 16:37 #

Great job! Your mom looks so good in this.

27. Marjie April 17, 2011 at 16:43 #

That’s a wonderful blouse, and I am always impressed at how beautiful your Mom still is.

28. Robin April 17, 2011 at 16:47 #

beautiful top and you got such a nice fit. I agree, isn’t tissue fitting great? Now that I have a dress form, I do it all the time and it is so much easier. It you ever want to make a dress form, let me know. I saw a very nice one at Couture Camp – on of the other students had made it. It was really sturdy, pinnable and just as nice as my Wolf.
    I’d love to try making one, so give me a hollar.

29. Melissa April 17, 2011 at 16:50 #

You did a wonderful job on the blouse for your Mom. She looks teriffic and I’m sure she is very proud of you. How does she stay so beautiful and pulled together in the Florida humidity?!! Amazing! Hope you had a wonderful time.

30. Jane M April 17, 2011 at 16:55 #

Wow, your mom looks terrific and so proud of her talented daughter. And you did a wonderful job on this beautiful top. So glad you could enjoy the warm weather and a sewcation.

31. Jessi April 17, 2011 at 16:58 #

WOW! That blouse is gorgeous. It looks incredibly high-end and expensive.

I am very impressed! (And it looks great on her!)

32. Claire (aka Seemane) April 17, 2011 at 17:02 #

Great work on your Mum’s blouse!

33. Eliza April 17, 2011 at 17:04 #

What a lovely blouse, and a lovely gift for your Mom.

34. vicki April 17, 2011 at 17:09 #

Wow, you sure can sew! It turned out lovely and really suits your mum.

35. Bonnie April 17, 2011 at 17:23 #

Your mom looks gorgeous!! You are so sweet to do this for her!

36. Kristine April 17, 2011 at 17:24 #

Gorgeous top, I want one! Job well done without a serger, I love that it wears like a jacket, and am adding this pattern to my shopping list! Love the color, too!

37. Christina April 17, 2011 at 17:47 #

Way to go with the french seams! Your mom’s blouse is just gorg.

38. Heather April 17, 2011 at 17:48 #

OoooMyyyyGooodness Cidell, you did a fabulous job making that blouse. Underlining it was the perfect solution and french seams, wow! I love french seams and make them every chance I get.
    Your mom looks so pleased and happy. I am sure she wasn’t just pleased with the fit but also that it felt nice against her skin.
    And as always, your mom looks so fantastic! Dad too.

39. CarolynGM April 17, 2011 at 18:00 #

Stunning blouse, inside and out. Gorgeous mother.

40. Libby April 17, 2011 at 18:23 #

You did an amazing job. This is such a beautiful blouse on a beautiful woman. I know your Mom will wear this with great pride.

* Your dad sounds like my uncle. My cousin left B’more to pursue a fashion designer career. Her dad was like, “You sew?” lol

41. Lynda in LV April 17, 2011 at 19:25 #

Your mom and her top are both BEAUTIFUL. Lucky Mom, lucky you! What a wonderful gift to give–your creation is just gorgeous. Well done!

Lynda in LV

42. Lisa Laree April 17, 2011 at 19:42 #

What a gorgeous blouse!! That color looks super on your mom…lovely!

I’m sorry, but I LOL’d at your ‘brilliant idea’ to be at work by ten…saving a vacation day, no? Sounds like something I’d do…and regret…

Have a good trip!

43. BeckyMc April 17, 2011 at 19:47 #

Beautiful! Your Mom and the blouse are both stunning! Can you come visit me? :)

44. Sula April 17, 2011 at 19:50 #

Your mom is lovely and you did a fantastic job for her!

45. BetsyV April 17, 2011 at 19:56 #

Fabulous blouse! And I think your dad would LOVE a Negroni shirt from Colette patterns!

46. manecoarse April 17, 2011 at 20:02 #

You did such a fabulous job on this jacket/top. It looks like it’s straight out of Macy’s.

47. barbara Shepard April 17, 2011 at 20:26 #

great job and the french seams look good as well as your mom in the blouse It seems like you whiped that up in no time at all the fit is great!

48. Dana April 17, 2011 at 20:35 #

That is fabulous! Great job on the construction too!

49. allisonc April 17, 2011 at 21:02 #

Your mum looks stunning in her new blouse, you did a fantastic sewing job on it too, it looks almost as good on the inside!

50. Colleen P. April 17, 2011 at 21:08 #

I’ve seen pictures you’ve posted of your mom before and she always looks so chic and elegant! The blouse is lovely on her, and the brooch is absolutely PERFECT for it. Your finish work is gorgeous as well.

51. NuJoi April 17, 2011 at 21:14 #

What a beautiful blouse!The brooch is perfect. Y’all make a great team :-)

52. carole April 17, 2011 at 22:05 #

That is one absolutely stunning blouse! I WISH I could sew like that! and your mom looks gorgeous. I just discovered your blog and LOVE it.

53. Jali April 17, 2011 at 22:54 #

Gorgeous! Your hard work shows through in the blouse and your mom seems very happy with it. Yes, it looks like you need to make something for your dad too.

54. Sandy in Wichita April 17, 2011 at 23:11 #

I, too, have trouble finding things at the mall that make me happy. Now THAT would make me VERY happy. That is a truly smokin’ blouse and when you add one hot momma, well, I’m truly impressed with what you’ve done and how much your mother looks like she stepped off the pages of a fashion magazine. (Don’t you think you need to make yourself one too?). I’ve seen that pattern many times but it’s much more smashing made up than in the drawings. I lust.

55. Vicki W April 17, 2011 at 23:12 #

It’s a beautiful blouse for a beautiful woman. That brooch is the perfect closure adornment!

56. Patti Hamel April 18, 2011 at 00:50 #

That blouse is awesome. Looks terrific!

57. Erin - ekfitz April 18, 2011 at 01:37 #

The blouse is absolutely gorgeous and so well fitted. I love making things for my mom too – moms seem to love whatever we make and are so proud to wear the items.

58. Shannon April 18, 2011 at 04:08 #

You have made your mom an absolutely gorgeous top! You sound like me when I make travel plans. My last trip to Oregon I had a near 6 hour flight, landed at 10:00 pm, hit the road at 11:00 pm for a 4 hour drive south to my sister’s house. It sounded like a good idea at the time too, but I don’t think I will be doing that again. Have a safe trip home!

59. Gail April 18, 2011 at 04:10 #

Your Mum looks very proud of you! Beautiful jacket.

60. kathleen April 18, 2011 at 07:43 #

Beautiful blouse, beautiful mom! What a nice daughter you are!

61. Rosie April 18, 2011 at 09:28 #

Your mom is stunning and the top is perfect on her! Great job and yes, you must sew something for both Mom and Dad each time you visit.

62. June April 18, 2011 at 10:01 #

Your mother is beautiful. She looks so proud of you. Your sewing is amazing. What a great daughter you are! *Applause*

I bet your mom (and dad, too, why not?) would be thrilled to have more bespoke items in their closet.

63. oonaballoona April 18, 2011 at 11:00 #

um, i am in LOVE with that shot of your dad studying your work. i think you’ve got yourself a new visit chore. but how could you refuse your glowing mom?

64. fishyfacedesigns.wordpress.com April 18, 2011 at 11:38 #

Your parents are so beautiful!!! I always enjoy reading your blog, I am in awwww everytime I visit. Your very talented… and you take such great care in explaining everything… even to us…esp me a beginner…inspired only because I found your blog! Thank you!

65. Darci April 18, 2011 at 12:12 #

What a gorgeous top on your gorgeous mom! She looks AMAZING in her blouse, and it was so sweet of you to sew it for her. Your dad’s adorable, too.

Thanks for the tips about working with dupioni. I always love the hand of it, but didn’t know how to reinforce. Super helpful tips on underlining!

Hope you’ve enjoyed your visit!

66. emadethis April 18, 2011 at 12:28 #

So beautiful! What a nice present for your Mom–she looks so stylish. What did you use to underline?

• Miss Celie April 18, 2011 at 13:37 #

Hunh. I can’t believe I didn’t mention. I used some white muslin that I had around. Silk organza is what is traditionally used. But, muslin is what I had on hand!

67. Susan - Knitters Delight April 18, 2011 at 13:42 #

If the end result of you making your Mom something every time you visit is HALF as good as this top, I say absolutely! She looks too fabulous for words.

68. The Slapdash Sewist April 18, 2011 at 14:29 #

That turned out gorgeous! I’d have been tempted to keep it myself.

• Miss Celie April 18, 2011 at 14:43 #

Yeah… I couldn’t even button it on me.

69. MB@YarnUiPhoneApp April 18, 2011 at 15:10 #

It’s touching to see how often you’ve sewed things for your mother, Cidell. It’s hard to go wrong with a silk too! I need to make something for my mom,..but she’s fussy! I made her a hat and she rejected it out of hand because it wasn’t her color. LOL.

70. Karen April 18, 2011 at 16:02 #

Gorgeous!!! Both the style and color are beautiful on your mom.

71. Summerset April 18, 2011 at 16:53 #

Just beautiful – great style and color for her!

72. Helen April 18, 2011 at 20:54 #

Another fantastic job! You are a fantastic daughter for making this fer yer mom. And of course a marvelous stitcher.

73. sue v April 18, 2011 at 22:26 #

beautiful!

74. homejewel April 19, 2011 at 00:50 #

Oh, yeah, I’m sure she’s going to be playing that nothing-nice-at-the-mall card forEVER and rightly so! She is gorgeous, the blouse is amazing, your dad is so cute inspecting it and you are an awesome daughter to make it happen :)

75. Rachel April 19, 2011 at 04:15 #

What a lovely thing to do, and your Mother looks well chuffed. Understandably too!

76. Dilly April 19, 2011 at 05:15 #

I was going to ask about what you used for underlining, but spotted someone else had already done so!

Your mum looks so chic, absolutely darling! I also love the idea of using a brooch to adorn the blouse closure.

77. Amanda S. April 19, 2011 at 08:19 #

This looks AWESOME on your mom! I love the color and fabric choice, and the insides are divine! What a fantastic daughter you are!

78. Janet April 19, 2011 at 08:52 #

I wish I had seen this before the Vogue pattern sale finished at Joanne’s. I will get it next time for sure. Your work is beautiful–in fact everything about this, including your mother, is beautiful. Very inspiring.

79. jacquie April 19, 2011 at 10:11 #

Beautiful! Your mum looks fantastic in it and I bet she will treasure the blouse and be telling everyone her supremely talented daughter made it.

80. pinqueen April 20, 2011 at 04:42 #

What a flattering style and colour for your Mum. You’ve made a beautiful job of this and those seams are 10 times better than overlocking for such a nice fabric! I’m tempted to get this pattern for myself now!

81. Noile April 20, 2011 at 09:49 #

Beautiful job, beautiful mom — could she or her blouse look more stunning?!? Those French seams (and the fussy underlining) were so worth it! “Good job”, for sure!

82. janis April 21, 2011 at 22:39 #

Beautiful!!!

83. Patricia April 22, 2011 at 22:32 #

Your Mom is very attractive. You did a wonderful job of her blouse. It looks like you purchased it from Saks Fifth or Nordstrom’s. Thanks for sharing with us!

84. Jean April 23, 2011 at 10:27 #

Just beautiful! Your mom looks fantastic in the blouse!

85. orchidophile April 23, 2011 at 22:29 #

Stunning! Your mom looks fabulous! Great work!

86. Ruth April 24, 2011 at 10:23 #

The blouse is so fabulous that i think I’m going to copy it. I have that same silk in a different colour and have been racking my brains as to what to make out of it. But doesn’t it say something about fashion and manufacturing that someone as beautiful and as slim as your mother cannot find nice blouses in the mall? I do wish I had a daughter like you who would sew for me too!

87. Victoria April 26, 2011 at 21:19 #

Your Mom looks stunning! Great job!!!

88. Isabelle April 27, 2011 at 13:10 #

The word sublime comes to mind! Your mother is gorgeous.

89. Kathy Marrone April 28, 2011 at 16:41 #

Just wanted to let you know that we like your version of V8120 so much we posted a link to your blog from our Vogue Patterns facebook page. The blouse is lovely!

90. Melody April 28, 2011 at 17:18 #

How fabulous is that! Your mom looks stunning and super pleased. You are a great daughter!

91. Jennifer Shaw April 28, 2011 at 20:37 #

Wow, that is one gorgeous top!! Thanks for sharing the pic of your very happy mom.

92. Amanda Peters May 9, 2011 at 13:53 #

That is a very lovely blouse, and your Mum looks great in it. A perfect fit, too!

1. 2011 Year in Review: I Sewed A Coat « Miss Celie's Pants - January 17, 2012

[...] Dress: Ummm. No. I did end up going to Florida and made my mom an awesome blouse. So proud of it. I never sew for other people and she looked amazing and was so so happy I sewed [...]