It All Came Together. Sort Of.

5 Jun

The Seersucker Social was Saturday and it was legendary! I will do this every single year they have it! But, I swear — I am *never* sewing last minute again. I was at the sewing machine up until the moment I had to load our bikes. I was actually prepared to sew buttons on the drive.

I did have to bail on the mini skirt. It was so short I felt uncomfortable. Luckily, I was able to swap them out for a pair of breezy linen pants I made last year for China. I bought a hat from ASOS to go with the outfit.

Liz wore an Ebay find dress, with my red Anthrologie ribbon belt knockoff and my black glasses. Her gloves were actually her mother’s and the jewelry her grandmother’s.

I give Lizzie credit. She had a single speed cruiser and has never done city riding before. Talk about trial by fire!

We took a seven mile bike ride through the city, and even had our own music along the way.

After the ride, we headed to Hillwood Mansion for a lawn party.

There was badmitton, croquet and a live band at the lawn party. I have LOADS of photos of the fashions. That will be my next pot.

We couldn’t resist sharing a parasol she had. Umm, do you see how I’m trying to cover a pocket? Yeah… about that.

So, peeps. My vest. I’m sorry to report that while I was able to wear it, it’s a hot damn mess. And, I’m so so so sad. You see, Karen gave me this material after I used all of mine up for an outfit that I can’t even squeeze into anymore (it’s now my mom’s).

But, because I’m not adept at a FBA and was rushed, there are just too many flaws for it to work.

First, the FBA is too big by 1/2 inch. I look saggy boobed because I’m not filling out the top. The vest overall is still big. And the pockets. Oh the pockets! Tecnically gorgeous. Lined up / visually? Wonky as hell.  One is under my left tata and the second riding under my hip. I’m too embarassed to show a photo but you can see how I never let it show in the photos.

So, both the skirt and vest are heading to Goodwill. ASAP.  Hopefully someone five inches shorter with huge tatas will find them.

But, for the day, it was brilliant. Luckily, I think I have enough of the seerusucker to try again! It’s really one of my favorite patterns and I could happily have several.

Check back for more photos this week!

34 Responses to “It All Came Together. Sort Of.”

1. Kay Huffq June 5, 2011 at 12:36 #

The next vest should be awesome, since you had a couple to practice on. ;) Loved seeing the pictures.

2. MB@YarnUiPhoneAppv13 June 5, 2011 at 12:44 #

Wow…does this event look ever like fun…I know there are events sort of like this in the Midwest…not nearly as legendary…ought look them up. You know seersucker is the perfect fabric for humid June not just Washington DC but here in Chicago. I saw a young guy wearing a searsucker suit last week. I did a double take and told him how fabulous he looked.

3. Debbie Cook June 5, 2011 at 12:48 #

Flaws or not (and who can see them? not me!), you look adorable! What a fun day!

• saro June 5, 2011 at 23:42 #

Yup, I agree with Debbie. I didn’t see any flaws, just saw you looking cute! :)

4. So Resourceful June 5, 2011 at 12:49 #

Well you might think that vest is terrible but damn girl, from where I am it looks pretty amazing for something you made yourself!! I have dabbled in making my own clothes but that shirt of yours looks very very complicated! Will look forward to seeing your next version! I do love a bit of seersucker.

5. Robin June 5, 2011 at 12:54 #

[I see no flaws.] I love all the photos and you look so sporty and chic!

6. Carolyn June 5, 2011 at 13:11 #

Well I’m glad that you had a great time…and isn’t that the most important thing!

7. Serenity June 5, 2011 at 13:17 #

Why not just take the pockets off and alter the vest? It’s too cute to donate

• Miss Celie June 5, 2011 at 13:44 #

They are welt pockets, so the fabric is cut. And because they are in two different places (off by three inches) even pockets with flaps wouldn’t really help.

8. Elizabeth June 5, 2011 at 13:22 #

OMG, you crack me up. I’m short and I have size C tatas. Will it work for me? ;)

9. Margo June 5, 2011 at 13:23 #

That social looks like so much fun! And I think you look fantastic in all of the photos. The vest is super cute. Where did you and Liz get your hats?

• Miss Celie June 5, 2011 at 13:44 #

I fear this person would need to be in the realm of a 32 F or H. Seriously. or a 34 to 36 DDD.

• saro June 5, 2011 at 23:44 #

someone with big bazingas is going to be very happy. my favorite pair of jeans are from the thrift store and I’m pretty sure they’re hand-made (no label and the best construction in jeans I’ve ever seen)

10. Liara June 5, 2011 at 14:03 #

I love the ruffles on the vest! I too think you look fantastic in your outfit. I’m glad you had a good time and I look forward to seeing the fashion photos.

11. Heather in MN June 5, 2011 at 14:35 #

Well, from my vantage point your vest looks to be anything but a ‘hot mess’. Good job covering up the problem areas! The ruffles and overall cut of this is just lovely, and I’m sure your next version will be spot on perfect.

I’m looking forward to more seer sucker fashion pics.

12. Bold Sewist June 5, 2011 at 15:13 #

What a fun event! And you looked great – I’m sure no-one noticed the slight flaws. Such a cute hat!

13. Lisa Penrice June 5, 2011 at 15:26 #

You looked awesome , shame about the pockets . I cant wait to see the nest one .

14. didyoumakethat June 5, 2011 at 16:06 #

You look soooo cute!

15. Rachel June 5, 2011 at 17:08 #

Your vest is so pretty, and I love the hat. I want to go somewhere where I can wear a hat!!

16. Noile June 5, 2011 at 17:17 #

Well, the vest looks great in the photos, so the next one should be well worth fiddling with! And wow, do you rock the cloche!

17. Bunny June 5, 2011 at 18:09 #

You are just too funny! I never heard of a seersucker social but it sure looks like great fun.

18. Karin June 5, 2011 at 18:17 #

You look adorable! The hat is cute too.

19. Nancy K June 5, 2011 at 18:24 #

It looks like a good time was had by all. It’s a good pattern for you, There may be flaws, but it still looks good on you.

20. Treadle27 June 5, 2011 at 18:38 #

I think the ruffled sleeves are so cute, and they look cool, like they’d catch any passing breeze and bring it to your skin. Perfect for a hot day.

21. Sew4Fun June 5, 2011 at 19:00 #

What a fun day and you look great! Who cares about the little flaws. Your outfit was perfect for the day.

22. Gail June 5, 2011 at 20:14 #

The vest suits you so well – love it in seersucker. I also adore your clouche hats.

23. Julie Lea June 5, 2011 at 21:30 #

1 – I think you loved fab!
    2 – think of everything you learned from making those mistakes!! You’re a brave woman for trying something new.

• Julie Lea June 5, 2011 at 21:42 #

OMG! I meant to say you “looked” fab! Whoops!

24. audrey June 5, 2011 at 22:06 #

The seersucker social looks like it was a really fun event. Both versions of the vest looked so good on you, I hope you make it a third time.

25. Carol June 6, 2011 at 00:01 #

You look gorgeous and cute.

26. Dei June 6, 2011 at 06:56 #

How fun is that! The vest looks good to me.

27. narcissaqtpie June 6, 2011 at 12:28 #

That looked like it was a blast! You looked great in the pics. I’m sure your next go round with the vest will go much better.

1. AG Doll: It’s a Wrap. Take 1 « Miss Celie's Pants - June 13, 2011

[...] panic. I didn’t buy myself an American Girl doll. Liz loaned me one of her [...]

2. Tweed Ride Sewing « Miss Celie's Pants - November 5, 2011

[...] DC Tweed Ride is on November 13th. Like the spring Seersucker Social, vintage style is a bit of a must.  I got a LOT of eye candy and ideas from the Ralph Lauren [...]