Four Skirts in Four Days Part II: Burda 9-2009 #121

8 Jul

Gathers, box pleats and full skirts make me happy :) They are slim through my waist and full around my lower half. It’s a little retro without being comically retro. Plus, they are awesome for border prints.

I purchased this material at PR Weekend Philly. Right in the middle of my fabric fast. I rarely post fabric purchases and their prices.

But, I’m happy to report that this was just $3 a yard! Oy. This is the only cut from last year’s haul that I’ve sewn. See why I was on a fabric fast in 2010?

The fabric is made in Japan. The polka dot cotton is appliqued onto the heavy black cotton so there is no need for lining. I do want to make a black vest out of the non-border portion.

I marked the pleats in the front with marking paper, pinned them in to place and sewed them in.

I made my full seat adjustment so that my skirt didn’t ride up in the back.

I also made a swayback adjustment. And, I have finally learned that I just have to make the waist supertight for me to like it. The skirt sits where it is supposed to do and doesn’t dip in the front because it’s not snug.

I’m totally happy with this skirt! I was worried about it being juvnenille. But, I’ve decided it’s youthful :)

53 Responses to “Four Skirts in Four Days Part II: Burda 9-2009 #121”

1. Mary July 8, 2011 at 10:26 #

As you should be…that skirt is awesome!

2. Elaray July 8, 2011 at 10:28 #

Very, very cute!

3. Tanit-Isis July 8, 2011 at 10:36 #

This is lovely! I adore how it hangs, too, it looks like the fabric has plenty of body to support the shape. And I think you have definitely conquered your fitting challenges! I wish I looked this good in gathered, pleated skirts… ;)

4. Kora Robinson-Thompson July 8, 2011 at 10:42 #

Cute skirt!! Is there a post where you explain how to do a full seat adjustment? I have that issue and would love a remedy.

5. Rachelle July 8, 2011 at 10:46 #

Oh, wow! Gorgeous and flattering!

6. Toby Wollin July 8, 2011 at 10:48 #

Gorgeous. I LOVE a border print skirt and this one looks fab on you!!

7. Darci July 8, 2011 at 10:52 #

Incredibly cute and totally flattering! What a perfect pairing for the fabric and pattern choice. Looks like you’ve got those pattern adjustments DOWN. Bravo!

8. PinQueen July 8, 2011 at 10:54 #

Beautiful! It suits you and fits like a dream!

9. Crystal July 8, 2011 at 10:59 #

I love both this and your previous skirt. Your figure looks like an hourglass in it!

10. Sheri July 8, 2011 at 11:10 #

Adorable!

11. sdBev July 8, 2011 at 11:20 #

What a darling skirt! I can see why you love it. I was impressed to by your comment that you needed to make your waistband tight. I’m always fighting this issue with patterns. My waist is not tiny; and not small in proportion to my hips. But I haven’t had a pattern yet that I didn’t need to add darts to the waistline and make the waistband smaller. I’m acutally pleased to know I’m not the only one who feels this way.

• Miss Celie July 8, 2011 at 11:37 #

I was a bit of an epiphany for me. I just didn’t like skirts on me. It seemed like they weren’t in the right place. And, I couldn’t tuck in. Or, if there was any fullness it dipped right in the middle. Even with this one I thought it was going to be too big, but kept taking it in until I was happy. I guess I didn’t realize that the waist should just have zero ease to fit correctly.

12. Amanda S. July 8, 2011 at 11:35 #

It’s awesome! LOVE the fabric! Why haven’t I made this skirt yet?

13. Bonnie July 8, 2011 at 11:39 #

Fantastic skirt, Renee!

14. Elizabeth July 8, 2011 at 11:39 #

This skirt is gorgeous. I want it. You look gorgeous. I want your waist.

15. Michelle July 8, 2011 at 11:45 #

I just found Trena’s blog a couple weeks ago and of course I found your blog through hers. I went through and read all of her blog posts…..I can’t help it!! I am obsessed with sewing and I pretty much try to absorb all the information I can! Now I am going to read all your blogs! I think I am in March now…

ANYWAYS! I love, love, love this skirt. It looks just beautiful! Great job!

16. Leslie July 8, 2011 at 12:00 #

I LOVE this on you, and I couldn’t agree more about the waist fit. Ease schmeeze. :-)

17. Judidarling July 8, 2011 at 12:03 #

I love this skirt, especially with the pink top. You’ll look cool on the warmest of days. Brava!

18. Claire (aka Seemane) July 8, 2011 at 12:21 #

Gorgeous skirt Cidell – and, how tiny does your waist look in that thing :)!!!

19. Christina July 8, 2011 at 12:22 #

I absolutely love this! What a fabric score.

20. trish July 8, 2011 at 12:33 #

It is just darling! your term “fabric fast” rings true with me! I live in the land of joann-solo. I hate Joann. but every once in a while zhoom………I am spending too much for too little!!

I am learning lots re construction from your posts, and thank you for all your sharing, and your whimsies of human nature!!

Also the bicycle social you attended in DC ruffled vest blouse has found a VERY good home!! your friend wears it well!!! darling top.

21. Amanda Peters July 8, 2011 at 12:34 #

It looks absolutely great! (Especially with that pink top!) It suits and fits you perfectly!
    Amanda

22. Liara July 8, 2011 at 13:01 #

What fantastic fabric and you’ve really put it to good use. The fit is wonderful and I agree with Claire, it really shows off your waist!

23. Grace July 8, 2011 at 13:07 #

Well done! It fits you perfectly and the hem is perfectly even. That took quite a bit of work and skill.

24. Laura July 8, 2011 at 13:16 #

Love the skirt! That fabric is beautiful.

25. Jenny July 8, 2011 at 13:33 #

Very pretty! Fabulous border print. I love how there are pleats but they release at the bottom.

26. redsilvia July 8, 2011 at 13:42 #

It’s a charming skirt! The print is indeed youthful, but in black and white it’s classic. Pink and purple may have been a bit harder to pull off….

I can see that in many seasons with sweater tights, cardie and boots or even sexed up with a tank and heels. Very nice work!

27. liza jane July 8, 2011 at 13:44 #

I love the border print. It’s perfect for that skirt. I’m curious about the full seat adjustment. I’ll have to look that one up. I have a problem with skirts riding up just a bit at the back but I’m pretty sure I don’t have any swayback issues.

28. Kelley July 8, 2011 at 13:55 #

I’m fairly certain that THIS is my favorite garment that you’ve sewn so far…of course, all bets are off when I see the next one. This skirt is perfect for you. You could even ride in it.

29. MB@YarnUiPhoneAppv1.5 July 8, 2011 at 14:28 #

This is really cute…I need to get back to sewing skirts. And cute ones at that like this. Btw, border prints are hard to find!

30. Debbie Cook July 8, 2011 at 15:06 #

This is as close to perfect as a skirt can be. It’s adorable, but in a grown woman way. As you say, youthful without being juvenile. And incredibly flattering. What else could you want besides 20 more of them? ;-)

31. Lori July 8, 2011 at 15:11 #

Great skirt.

32. Kay Huff July 8, 2011 at 15:30 #

You should be happy. It is a beautiful skirt and looks wonderful on you.

33. M. July 8, 2011 at 16:40 #

I like this… You look lovely and yes, making those adjustments does work :)

34. Carolyn July 8, 2011 at 17:12 #

It is a really cute skirt and it works so well with the border print! You did a great job on this!

35. carole whitridge July 8, 2011 at 18:05 #

this skirt is absolutely gorgeous – and thanks for NOT posting your fabric buys – ’cause the last time I read where you bought the yellow interlock I went online and it was on sale and I bought so, SO much …….

36. didyoumakethat July 8, 2011 at 19:02 #

That is a beautiful skirt! You can see that the fitting is top notch, the fabric choice is so clever for the cut and – crucially – it’s extremely flattering to your well toned figure. Oh, to have definition like yours! You look totally fab and so does the sewing.

37. Joy July 8, 2011 at 19:18 #

Besides the gorgeous fabric, the fit is perfect. You’ve done a nice job of sorting out your fit adjustments and preferences. Isn’t that the great thing about sewing? (Once you finally figure it out, of course!) I need to find me some border prints….

38. Shannon July 8, 2011 at 19:23 #

Great shape on you! Really accentuates your small waist, which is an elegantly feminine look. Love the border print fabric too and how you have paired the skirt with the pink cami.

39. Nancy K July 8, 2011 at 20:24 #

Super cute. The tiny waist and fuller bottom are definitely your style. Love the fabric, all in all this is perfect on you

40. summersetbanks July 8, 2011 at 21:06 #

Super! What a great use of that fabric!

41. allisonc July 8, 2011 at 21:37 #

This is the cutest (but not at all juvenile) skirt I’ve seen in ages. I’m not sure this style would suit me at all but yours looks so good I want to try it!

42. Karin July 9, 2011 at 04:39 #

I think it looks youthfull too. And you have a lovely figure in it, it’s really flattering! Cute border print!

43. Vicki July 9, 2011 at 05:46 #

Really, really nice. Suits you so well. Your adjustments are perfect, it sits so well on you. Well done.

44. Jali July 9, 2011 at 10:11 #

Not juvenile at all. Just a perfectly fitted skirt in the right length, silhouette and fabric. You look fabulous in it!

45. Gail July 10, 2011 at 03:32 #

You were so lucky to find this fabric. It looks a million dollars.

46. Noile July 10, 2011 at 11:46 #

It’s perfect on you! Love the fabric, too.

47. susan July 10, 2011 at 20:28 #

Perfect skirt…flattering and fun! Absolutely love it paired with the pink cami.

48. fabricateandmira July 10, 2011 at 21:48 #

Oh, how I love that fabric. Also purchased a small piece and had I known there was another in the London Textile boxes, there might have been a fight! Your skirt is adorable.

49. oonaballoona July 10, 2011 at 23:40 #

i’m LOVING your skirt posts! gives me hope for my own skirt fears… i learned how to do a sway back adjustment from you by searching pattern review, now i might have to do full seat next…

50. Teddi July 11, 2011 at 13:34 #

I love this skirt! It is beautifully made and very chic!

51. senaSews July 15, 2011 at 04:23 #

Love the skirt. It’s soo cute!

52. Debbie O' July 15, 2011 at 22:16 #

The whole outfit looks great on you. Perfect.