Simplicity 3882, Not once. But, twice.

12 Sep

This is just the kind of dress I said I wasn’t going to sew this year! It’s a throw away dress needed in a pinch. It’s knit when I’ve been trying to sew more wovens. It’s casual and I’ve wanted to be more chic. It’s a bright and bold pritn and I’ve been trying to incorporate more solids. It’s a dress and I need more separates. I told myself I was going to sew more complicated garments instead of just trying to stock my closet. This dress took me less than two hours to sew and I have got to say, “I am so glad I can sew!!”

You see my friends, I have no “hang out clothes”. I solely focus on work garments.  Now, I have clothes I can meet you after work in. I can meet you for cocktails or dinner even. I can meet your parents. I can go to the museum or theater with you. I can go to church and attend a wedding. But, again, I have no ‘run around clothes’. I don’t have a thing that  can be worn to a football game at your house.

Yes, yes. There are jeans. But, I have some thick thighs and look 10 pounds heavier in jeans and try not to wear them all that often. Last month I had this dilema. I needed a “Farmer’s Market on a Sunday” outfit. What did I do? I Dropped $32 at H&M for the tunic above to wear with jeggings. The second time I wore that tunic was two weeks later on a Saturday morning coffee date. The third time I wore that tunic was later that week to a Thursday night free outdoor concert. Do you sense a theme here? I have no casual clothes.

Friday night came around and I needed something to wear on a Saturday night to watch football. I decided to go back to Simplicity 3882 made in 2007.

(Simplicity 3882 in 2007. Clearly, me at my thinnest. Ever.)

I remade the dress from the remnants of this Simplicity 3503 maxi dress. In this version, I cut the elastics all about 4 inches shorter than recommended and made a dartless 3/4 inch FBA.

So, I pulled it off! I had a new dress in short order and managed to eek the last of summer of out of my sewing.

42 Responses to “Simplicity 3882, Not once. But, twice.”

1. Gorgeous Things September 12, 2011 at 08:06 #

I love it!!! That color on you is just fantastic, and you’ll be able to wear it well into fall with a sweater and leggings.

• Serenity September 12, 2011 at 08:33 #

Nice job..

I don’t have hang out clothes either. And I’m okay with that. Took me a minute to feel that way. Part of my “old person style.” I have no problem wearing a skirt to a football game or being the most over dressed person at any event. As long as I can run in the shoes I’m wearing, I’m good.

• Ms. Schmatte September 12, 2011 at 08:44 #

That’s very close to my philosophy. Especially the part about the shoes. :-)

2. Ms. Schmatte September 12, 2011 at 08:43 #

It’s very cute. I love that print on you. It goes great with your coloring, and is similar in size and spirit to other prints I’ve seen you use.

I, too, tend to look better in dresses than pants. Who cares if you can’t wear every shape if the shapes you wear flatter you and you feel good in them?

3. Amanda S. September 12, 2011 at 08:49 #

I remember when I had my first child and stayed home for the first time that I had nothing to wear. All of my efforts always went towards office wear, but I no longer went to an office. I think that’s when I first started sewing knits. Anyway, the dress is darling on you! I don’t know why you promised yourself you wouldn’t make these sorts of dresses, they are a very flattering silhouette on you!

4. Gabrielle September 12, 2011 at 09:08 #

Your dress looks really pretty on you, and perfect for hanging out – and just 2 hours is amazing! I reckon you should whip a few more of these up…

The clothing area where I’m lacking is “smart casual”. I enjoy sewing smart clothes for work or a function or a party, and I can do (bought) jeans and t-shirts. Sewing casual basics doesn’t really inspire me though….

5. Heather September 12, 2011 at 09:17 #

You look fabulous! I love the new dress on you!

6. MB@YarnUiPhoneAppv1.7 September 12, 2011 at 09:19 #

I have this pattern…it languishes along with the others. I really like the one with the balloon hem. Yeah, maybe I could make it time to beat the last of our hot weather days (today’s supposed to hit 85). Not!

7. Sewista Fashionista September 12, 2011 at 09:27 #

Those dresses look terrific! That they took just a few hours to sew is perfect for hot weather.

8. Texan September 12, 2011 at 09:49 #

The dress is super! It looks really good on you! I am on the other end of the clothing. I have jeans which I wear a lot. A few tops that are nice but not dressy. I can handle a farmers market or coffee outing. Where I am lacking terribly is dressy clothing. I don’t own a dress. Really not even one. I don’t own a skirt. I don’t have anything that would be good for a dressy evening out. But I do have the DNKY 1250 pattern and material to make it! I am seriously lacking in time it seems! I have to get better organized with it so I can work in more sewing! I can’t believe you made that dress in a couple hours! That is amazing to me!

9. Erica B September 12, 2011 at 09:52 #

Great dresses!

10. Samina September 12, 2011 at 09:54 #

I love the way that fabric looks on you, but I disagree that it’s a throw-away. It would be great through the fall with a little cardi & what about next spring & summer?

11. Seraphinalina September 12, 2011 at 10:03 #

That’s an awesome dress! Nothing throw away to me about it. We all need comfy clothing to relax in and that looks awesome on you.

12. Nancy K September 12, 2011 at 10:14 #

But you look so pretty in that dress! It’s a great color for you. The other dress looks totally different in a stripe. Sometimes the easier things are just what you need. Why not alternate a more complicated piece with a couple of easy ones.

13. kathleen September 12, 2011 at 10:51 #

super cute dress! Why not make another in fall colors? It looks great on you

14. montanachic September 12, 2011 at 10:52 #

It looks great. I think it is nice to have goals, but sewing is about doing something fun. So if it is fun for you to sew a quick knit printed casual dress you should do it.

15. Carolyn September 12, 2011 at 11:18 #

First can I tell you that you look so much stronger and healthier now…not fat..but muscley (if that’s a word!) than you did in the 2007 picture.

Second, I love, love, love the dress!

Third, me too…I have way more everything else than hang out clothes too. But I’m usually happy in some jeans – probably because I rarely wear them!

• Seraphinalina September 12, 2011 at 13:04 #

Seconding the first part of that comment, I couldn’t find the right phrasing when commenting earlier. You do look strong and fit.

16. janew40 September 12, 2011 at 11:22 #

Gorgeous! I have the same dilemma. I have clothes to go to work and clothes to clean the garage.

17. Shelley September 12, 2011 at 11:33 #

Beautiful! Looks cool and comfy.

• Shelley September 12, 2011 at 11:34 #

Oops. A tense problem here — two dresses — so They look….cool and comfy! Sounds like a fun weekend.

18. Bunny September 12, 2011 at 12:47 #

Love those colors in the first dress on you, very flattering. I don’t have much “decent” hang out clothes either so you are not alone.

19. June September 12, 2011 at 13:30 #

Great dress! The color is really good, too. I spent years building up my professional work wardrobe and now have nothing but “Mom” outfits (t shirts and skorts) for hanging out.

20. spottedroo September 12, 2011 at 13:42 #

That dress is so super cute. I love the print.

21. Caroline September 12, 2011 at 16:25 #

You are still alive!! Yay!! Very cute dress, I hope the football dudes appreciated it.

22. Colleen P. September 12, 2011 at 17:02 #

Well even though it doesn’t fit into your specified categories it’s clear you needed it, and probably a few other items that fit into this category as well. I’m can’t say anything though, I have made two knit tops in the last two days and it has doubled the number of knit tops I have made this year! I wear knit tops all the time and I’ve been reduced to wearing…boxy tee shirts. Oh the horror…

23. Sue September 12, 2011 at 18:17 #

The dress looks fantastic on you and the colour and print is great! 2 hours of sewing beats shopping any day!

24. Robin Denning September 12, 2011 at 18:33 #

smart sewing! I know what you mean about jeans. I am phasing them out of my casual wardrobe. You look very cute in your new dress.

25. Elizabeth September 12, 2011 at 19:04 #

So cute! What is it about dressing for football that is so difficult? I think your solution is much cuter than the workout clothes I end up wearing at home more often than I’d like to admit.

It’s a great print on you.

26. Jenny September 12, 2011 at 19:30 #

I hoipe you’re not too upset with yourself for sewing the knit dress, because it’s a fantastic dreass and you look gorgeous! What a cute pattern!

27. MushyWear September 12, 2011 at 20:39 #

Such a fun little dress in a flattering print and color. You look great in this!

28. Lakaribane September 12, 2011 at 21:22 #

I love both versions. Didn’t know this pattern, it pre-dates The Great Sewing Madness of 2007. Love the print on 2.0, looks great on you.

29. Elizabeth September 12, 2011 at 23:08 #

OMG you look hawt!!!

Love it. Can’t wait to hear about the guy. E

30. Eljean September 13, 2011 at 13:57 #

You have an above average eye for design and fabric choice. You really choose well and look great in the projects you show us. This dress is just great. I enjoyed your design changes. You really updated the look.

31. Marty September 13, 2011 at 17:33 #

I know what you mean. I have the black Macy’s clothes and jeans. Not much in between, so I’ve been sewing frantically to have something because in-betweens will fit well in my new job as church secretary.

32. allisonc September 15, 2011 at 01:06 #

Wow what stunning fabric and this pattern shows it off perfectly.

33. The Slapdash Sewist September 15, 2011 at 16:42 #

Gotta love those two hour knit dresses. I have actually sewn only a couple this year, but for some reason Fall puts me in the mood for them.

34. lulu September 16, 2011 at 02:18 #

Both your dresses look really cute. That is the perfect thing to just throw on.

I have the same dilemma with casual clothes. I think for me it’s because my work environment is so casual that I can get away with casual/business and so I just end up dressing that way all the time.

35. themateriallady September 17, 2011 at 17:19 #

Stunningly lovely dress and fabric.

36. Isabelle September 19, 2011 at 12:18 #

Super cute dress! This print looks really great on you.

37. Sigrid September 23, 2011 at 13:50 #

Good dresses, the fabric colors suit you so well.

1. Fabric abroad and October goals « ~E Made This! - October 3, 2011

[...] incredible lack of casual clothes in my wardrobe.  A recent post by Cidell left me thinking about what indeed DO you wear to watch football ?  I’ve been sewing as if I was still teaching, and while I like wearing nicer clothes [...]