Still in Florida

28 Nov

By now on a parental trip, I’d have posted half a dozen times. But, I’ve really been relaxing on this mini-break. I started taking photos of  Thanksgiving food, but got too hungry. Here’s the main thing to know:

This peach cobbler was my breakfast for three days. Which could be one of the many reasons I’ve actually gone running twice since I got here.  Is anyone on Nike+ / Nikerunning.com? I think my profile is public and I’m listed as Fussbudgit.

While here, I have been doing quite a bit of sewing. My Aunt Judy bought this outfit for my mom on a recent trip to Ghana. I didn’t take before photos. It was too big in the back, upper bust, hips and waist. Now, it fits nicely. . It’s remarkable how much easier it is to fit another person. It’s also remarkable how  differently we carry weight. I’m all saddlebag and boob. She carries weight in the mid section.  My waist is the only small thing on me.

The details are really neat. The applique leaves are cut out from the material and hand sewn together. This makes trim for the bust, back, center front and are the actual cap sleeves!

Alterations are the devil. For reals. Ugh.

The bodice and skirt are underlined.

And the stabilizer in the sleeves, waist  and hem is just paper!

Check the zipper. It goes all the way up along the back pieces. Nice and decorative. Would be totally fun in a metallic teeth, right?

Oh, I also made my dad two bow ties for Christmas. I’ll just leave them here and my mom will give them to him next month.

Have I mentioned how glad I bought a Singer 301 *just* for here?

I’ve also decided to give the warmer of my red trench coat a go. I’ll work on that this evening. I fly out tomorrow and am back in my own bed Tuesday night :)

21 Responses to “Still in Florida”

1. Marty November 28, 2011 at 14:45 #

Beautiful! A young lady from our church married a man from Central Africa Republic. Her parents are proud owners of several matching outfits from there. They are all gorgeous.

2. Pam from South Australia November 28, 2011 at 14:57 #

What a great outfit and how interesting to see how they put it together. Your Mum looks terrific in her altered garment.

• Katharine in Brussels November 28, 2011 at 15:11 #

Your mum looks fantastic in her newly altered dress. Ah, bought a SM for there? Looks like you’ll be visiting more often. Nice! Enjoy your mum, I haven’t seen mine since 1994 when she Moved On to a Higher Place. You’re blessed.

• Miss Celie November 28, 2011 at 15:52 #

We were just looking at your blog yesterday at the bibimbop photos! She wants to make it for friends next week after church is the rice cooker :)

3. rmcandlelght (nailsbeautiqued) November 28, 2011 at 15:11 #

Hey girl!!! Awesome dress. Hey, I’m in Orlando. What part of Florida are you? :)

4. Deepika November 28, 2011 at 16:46 #

I am loving the zipper detail! I might have to copy it. Thanks for sharing.

5. Shelley November 28, 2011 at 16:53 #

That is one amazing dress. I can’t imagine how you did the alterations, but it looks great on your Mom.

6. Ann November 28, 2011 at 20:20 #

I used to do Nike + but I’ve slacked off! I keep meaning to start again. It was fun, or at least helped make running fun-ish. Maybe you’ll inspire me to get going again…

7. meli88a November 28, 2011 at 21:04 #

wow what an amazing dress, and… your mom looks smashing in it. You did a great job with the alterations.

8. carol November 29, 2011 at 03:22 #

Your mother looks stunning in that outfit! I need to get back to running, I can do it will Molly in Hobart. It’s a dog friendly city. I hope we get to see a picture of your dad in his bowties. I love them.

9. melissa November 29, 2011 at 08:29 #

Oh wow, your mom’s dress is amazing! Thanks for the detail shots – that is just so much nicer than a lot of the wrap styles I see on Sundays in London.

Regarding running – get yer (soon to be fit’n’firm) ass over to dailymile.com pronto! They integrate with Nike+ so you can pull all your runs over with one click. I used to use Nike+ a few years ago but switched to a GPS app instead after I ran through about three of the foot sensors. :) I’m squirrellypoo on dailymile if you do join up (come on, it’s just me and the marathon runners, I’m lonely! And I just signed up for a half in Paris in March so I need all the help I can get! http://www.dailymile.com/people/squirrellypoo

10. Kimberly November 29, 2011 at 09:02 #

That’s really beautiful! I can’t imagine fussy-cutting all of those little leaves out, but what a wonderful effect! Alterations can certainly be frustrating but you have done a beautiful job – it fits her perfectly. :)

11. Renee November 29, 2011 at 16:20 #

Lovely, lovely dress and you’ve made the fit just perfect. I’m there with you on the cobbler. I had pecan pie for breakfast a couple of times while visiting my parents. Only difference is that I didn’t run. Cheers!

12. Marjie November 29, 2011 at 16:29 #

I’m always stunned at how beautiful your mom is. Nice dress with your alterations. Glad you’ve had fun.

And I’d take that peach cobbler any day, but am incapable of running it off.

13. Marcy November 29, 2011 at 19:02 #

Wow, that’s a beautiful dress! And Gem looks fantastic. Did you get a new camera? The photos are really sharp. Glad you enjoyed the visit and are back home safely by now.

• Miss Celie November 30, 2011 at 10:14 #

I did! It’s not as sweet as my DSLR. But, I got a little point-and-shoot for carrying around. IT was originally well over $200 and now is just $85 on eBay. It’s a Pentax i-10. It’s great! You did a great job picking out the outfit. Mom is so happy with it!

14. didyoumakethat November 30, 2011 at 06:17 #

That peach cobbler looks amazing – I would be face down in it. Well done on having the patience for dress adjustments. Your mum looks gorgeous!

15. themateriallady December 1, 2011 at 05:27 #

Thanks for showing us the detail in your mums outfit – it is really beautiful! (As are you and mum). She must be really glad to have someone to do the fitting for her.

16. The Slapdash Sewist December 2, 2011 at 11:26 #

Fits like a glove! Nice job on the alterations (which are the devil).

17. Caroline December 13, 2011 at 17:22 #

That dress is intense! It looks like an Alexander McQueen, the color is fabulous, and the cut-out details are clever and chic.

1. 1940s Puffy Sleeve Dress: Burda Magazine 5-2009-122 « Miss Celie's Pants - February 27, 2012

[...] my cape. Then, I started  thinking I would wear it to church when I was visiting my parents in Florida at Thanksgiving.  I never got around to finishing the dress on the trip because I left one of the sleeves back [...]