Vogue 1099 (oop): Badgley Mischka Jacket in Bamboo Denim

5 Jun

I finished this  Vogue 1099 (oop): Badgley Mischka jacket well over a month ago. But, didn’t have a hook and eye closure and didn’t know what to wear it with!

The jacket, I think, can be a bit hard to wear. I tried a bias skirt in orange it just looked to ‘big’. My wide leg black pants made me look like a block since I don’t have  thin, six foot long, model legs.

So, this poor beautiful jacket has been languishing on my dressform for weeks. I finally figured out this Burda 9-2009 skirt I made last summer to wear and wore it to work on Tuesday. It was incredibly popular. My hyper critically fashionable boss complimented me on it. Twice. She’s way into modern detail on clothes. Plus, she was probably telling me to wear more blazers!

I first talked about making this Badgley Mischka jacket in May, THREE YEARS AGO. This is why I am working out of my stash folks. Three years go by before I can even contemplate getting something sewn that I have all the supplies for.

Me, circa 2009

I was able to try this jacket on during PR Weekend Portland 2009. It’s a little odd making a garment you’ve already tried on and seen made expertly. The good thing is that you know you’ll like how it looks on you. It’s a jacket I never would have though of if I hadn’t tried it on. The bad thing is you’ve got something to live up to! I’m not sure what size the on above is. The material (despite the bright blue below) is the exact same bamboo denim. I bought what was left in the store!

When I tried on the jacket, I could see (and remembered) that there wasn’t enough room in the bust despite the ease of the jacket. For my version, I sewed a 12 with a 1 inch FBA. I find it a little constricting in the back. But, then again, I don’t often wear woven jackets. I think I should have sewn a 10, my version is little more full. But, I don’t think it looks bad.

The lining is a floral cotton that I also got that weekend (because I had this jacket in mind) — or in California for PR Weekend LA. I honestly am no longer sure….. The pattern does call for a double collar — with organza for the inner collar. But, I didn’t have any and thought it looked just fine without.

I don’t know how to explain this, but I do not love the sleeve insertion — especially the lining. For the shell, there is little easing needed, but I found the sleeve head kind of flat and just ‘meh’ for my taste. For the lining. I don’t know what was going on. But, it took me a lot of pinning and thinking to make all the pieces work out. I know that’s not helpful. But, I was working on it at 11 pm on a Friday night and didn’t think to take photos.

I followed the directions to the letter including hand sewing  the the lining to my blindhem stitched hem. Good grief. I can’t remember the last time I handsewed a hem!

I would love to make this up again in seersucker (are you shocked by that), white linen or a beautiful black silk shantung. It’s a quick sew. I had the entire shell cut constructed and sewn in four hours. That includes the super annoying gathering on the sleeves.

As you’ve gathered, I mostly sew from Burda. I don’t mind Big 4. I just have a ton of Burdas and they have great designs and the fit works really well for me. I’m glad I saw this made up so I could try it. Plus, it’s interesting to see pages and pages of directions again after the two 100 word graphs that Burda likes to spit at you :)

Here’s my tribute to the Diamond Jubilee, of which I watched none. I cut off my satellite TV several months ago and still haven’t gotten an antenna for my TV. I mean I still have a Roku and Hulu, etc. Just not broadcast television. I’m a definite Anglophile. My parents are both from Commonwealth nations, the UK was my first foreign country visit and my mom lived in England for many years. I’ve also got a slew of cousins there. Plus, I do a wicked British accent when I’ve had a glass of wine too many. At any rate, Diamond Jubilee tribute:

My friend Liz got this Union Jack harness for Linus. He’s so stinking cute it’s criminal. I love the graphic nature of the Union Jack and have a ridiculous pinterest board dedicated to its use in every day objects.

43 Responses to “Vogue 1099 (oop): Badgley Mischka Jacket in Bamboo Denim”

1. Jacqueline M Johnson June 5, 2012 at 23:04 #

Once again, it looks fantastic, I have to admit, I’d hate those sleeves too. But the jacket isn’t really my style,which might be part of my issue. However, it looks great on you. And the skirt fabric just makes me itchy all over to sew. Great job!

2. spottedroo June 5, 2012 at 23:15 #

Super cute. Great color and I love the floral lining. I bet the little things that bug you now won’t bother you so much in a little while. Kudos for sewing your longstanding projects. I’ve got so many of those…

3. Jenny June 5, 2012 at 23:19 #

Cute jacket! Looks nice paired with the skirt too!

4. Carolyn June 5, 2012 at 23:42 #

Ditto what Jenny said! :)

5. T. Sedai June 6, 2012 at 00:03 #

Looks great! I love the lining and I think it looks great with the skirt.

6. carol456 June 6, 2012 at 00:05 #

Linus is very, very sweet. I want to kiss his little tiny nose! I like the jacket on you and I love the lining. I can see it over a turtleneck and jeans, too.

7. lin3arossa June 6, 2012 at 01:12 #

I love the jacket! But please correct the title: this is a badgley Mischka design, not Issey Miyake.

• Miss Celie June 6, 2012 at 06:28 #

LOL, why in the world did I write that? Thank you!

• Alison Cummins June 6, 2012 at 07:55 #

Also in the text.

• Miss Celie June 6, 2012 at 08:08 #

Good Grief! What is wrong with me? LOL! Thank you!

8. twinklingnorthstar June 6, 2012 at 01:26 #

GREAT jacket! Love it.

9. Pin Queen June 6, 2012 at 02:48 #

Lovely colour, and looks really nice with your white skirt. I made this jacket about a year ago and have worn it only a handful of times, even though I love it. I enjoyed the construction process, but think you’ve licked it with that lining!

10. quiltsewsewsue June 6, 2012 at 03:05 #

Great jacket for you and the puppy!

11. Jane's sew & tell June 6, 2012 at 03:34 #

Great jacket and lovely skirt.

The dog looks great too!

12. sewbusylizzy June 6, 2012 at 03:56 #

I can’t get enough of denim. Demin with a ladylike twist is my favorite. Looks smashing on you.

• Miss Celie June 6, 2012 at 06:24 #

Me either! I’m going to have to make a denim skirt next.

Sent from my iPod

• sewbusylizzy June 6, 2012 at 06:37 #

I made Vogue 1247 in denim – its my weekend uniform!

• Miss Celie June 6, 2012 at 06:49 #

Do you mind if I ask what you wear it with? I was worried denim on denim might be too much.

• sewbusylizzy June 6, 2012 at 07:38 #

Yes I don’t do ‘double denim’ but I wear a striped top, usually my brown boots (winter here) and often a little black bomber style jacket.

13. Gail June 6, 2012 at 07:21 #

The jacket looks great. I would never have thought to make this pattern in denim.

14. lisette June 6, 2012 at 07:42 #

It turned out great! You remind me that I have wanted to make this one up…Linus is just too cute!!

15. Erica B June 6, 2012 at 09:15 #

Love this jacket in denim! It looks so fresh with the white skirt!

16. Jane M June 6, 2012 at 09:43 #

Wonderful jacket in a terrific fabric. I know what you mean about that sleeve insertion….a little anticlimactic after their unique design technique. I don’t wear mine too often since it’s a short but full top silhouette. Love how you paired it!

17. Frances Reust June 6, 2012 at 09:57 #

Dear Celie
    What a great jacket. Like you, I like it much better on. I learn a lot from your site. thanks for the letters. FReust

18. kathleen June 6, 2012 at 10:30 #

You can also wear this with a super frilly maxi skirt or leather pants and a french sailor striped tee. It looks great on you

19. Texan June 6, 2012 at 11:08 #

I really like that jacket. mmmm yep I am liking that… and Linus I agree is so stinking cute its criminal ROFL :O) he is just total cuteness!

20. sewmuchchoice June 6, 2012 at 12:52 #

Great jacket and I love your picture of Linus…very cute.

21. annie June 6, 2012 at 16:36 #

That is such an attractive jacket. And you are so fortunate to have that fabric. Not available in the US since the FTC stepped in. Is it like Tencel?

22. Bold Sewist June 6, 2012 at 16:48 #

Lovely jacket – I love the side view of the sleeves. And that dog jacket is too cute!

23. Wendy June 6, 2012 at 17:06 #

Great jacket! I think the sleeves and lining give it that extra zip. It looks very nice on you!!!

24. vicki June 6, 2012 at 23:31 #

Really cute. The sleeve details is excellent.

25. The Slapdash Sewist June 7, 2012 at 10:55 #

It’s perfect with the white skirt–no wonder SRB was complimentary! The sleeves are very cool, though gathering denim sounds quite painful.

26. Colleen P. June 7, 2012 at 15:04 #

I think the jacket is cute, no doubt about it, but I can see why you’ve found it difficult to find things to wear with it. Most of what you own accentuates your small waist and this doesn’t. I agree with another poster that it would probably be very flattering with a maxi skirt or very slim pants.

27. Jo Kanner June 8, 2012 at 09:19 #

Am I a tasteless weirdo…I love the way the jacket collar stands up.(!)
    I would wear it with a long, slim skirt with side slits. BTW,
    Linus is cah-ray-zee adorable.

28. Think Energy June 8, 2012 at 14:04 #

Hi Renee–cute jacket, you have some amazing skills!

Hi, we’re Think Energy, a power service provider that serves the Baltimore area. We’re looking for input from bloggers like you for the current contest we’re running: the search for the smartest small business in Baltimore. Whether it’s a standout restaurant, a shop with a creative concept, or a service you can’t live without, we want to hear about it. The winner of this contest will receive a year of FREE electricity from Think Energy, and you can be eligible to win an iPad 2 just for nominating.
    We’re passionate about small businesses in Baltimore because they’re integral to what makes this city so special. You can nominate your favorite company at http://www.smartestbaltimore.com. Thanks and keeping up your awesome blogging!

29. ClaireOKC June 9, 2012 at 08:56 #

Renee – I’m so glad to see this made up. If you were to have your dream of dreams, how would you change this jacket, no matter how impractical or how impossible it may seem to make it your dream jacket.

I think this jacket has so many neat features, but just misses, and haven’t made it up yet, for that reason.

• Miss Celie June 9, 2012 at 18:16 #

Great question! It needs more shaping through the waist to work for me. Or, I would make it longer and belt it. I love the sleeves and I love the collar. That being said, it was popular in the office so maybe it just doesn’t photograph well. It’s also not my traditional style. But, I do think it’s a keeper. I also think if I was smaller on the bottom and comfortable in skinny pants, etc. this would in general work better.

30. Nancy Karpen June 10, 2012 at 10:05 #

I did a muslin of this after it came out and left it at that. It’s a difficult jacket for a curvy woman to wear. How about a pencil skirt with this? Or even narrow straight leg pants, just not the skinny pants. It has some really niece details which work well for you. and it looks fresh with the white skirt.

31. Claudette June 11, 2012 at 10:05 #

This is sooooo nice! I’m looking out my window onto a dreary English road on a dreary, rainy, dull dull dull day and it’s a pleasure to look at something so fresh and spring-like in my inbox!

32. Sew4Fun June 16, 2012 at 22:59 #

I love your jacket! So cute. I’m sure I have this pattern is my stash…somewhere. Don’t ask me where. :) But I think I need to find it after seeing your version.

33. tokeberry June 19, 2012 at 14:43 #

Adorable.

1. 2012 Sewing Year in Review « Miss Celie's Pants - December 31, 2012

[...] Badgley Mischka Jacket, Vogue 1099. I like everything about this jacket on the hanger and dress form. But, I just never know what to wear it with. I’ve worn it three times this year :-/  I wore it last week with my tuxedo pants and it wasn’t bad. I thought I needed to be taller and leggier to get away with it. But, it seemed to work. I’ll keep trying it with other things. [...]

2. Mojo Regained | Miss Celie's Pants - April 29, 2013

[...] I get to wear it. My main motivation for using the bamboo denim was to have something to wear this Vogue jacket with. If you recall, I never knew what to wear this jacket.  I also figured with spring  just [...]