The Olympics Made Me Do It

6 Aug

It appears I sew swimwear every four years.  That’s when I bought the bulk of my swim fabric. I’m an obsessive Olympic watcher and seeing the beach volleyball players and divers make me want to swim.

For this iteration I used a poly lycra Trena donated to me about a year ago. The pattern used is the same fitness top from the out-of-print (OOP) McCalls 8813 and the view E bottoms (string bikini).

On the top, I added another 3/4 inch FBA for a total of 1 3/4 inches. I also took two inches out of the band width to try and get closer to my size. For support, I added power netting and 3/4 inch elastic for the underbust.  I (still) lined the top and lined the front of the bikini bottoms.

For construction, I used my elasticator foot on my serger to apply the swim elastic and topstitched with a twin needles and my walking foot. The tops definitely has more support now and a bit of compression too. Marta asked if this could work as a sports bra. My best guess is ‘yes’. But, I’ll be honest, my sports bra is a ridiculous $60 affair from Under Armour.

The bottoms… well, let’s just say they are a little early 2000′s high waisted! They are not at my navel, but hipsters are more flattering to my heavy bottom half. Here’s a comparison of my Patrones bottoms with these.

I can’t be bothered to sew a second bottoms right now. But, I want to merge these two patterns. The McCalls has great rear coverage but I like the height of the Patrones.

And if you worry I’m sewing to be sewing… I’m back in the pool. It’s too hot to run and my gym has a really lovely pool. Maybe what this really means is I need to have a beach weekend soon.

7 Responses to “The Olympics Made Me Do It”

1. Pam August 6, 2012 at 11:12 #

That swimsuit is fantastic! Haha! I love your post – made my day – and Congrats on a wonderful suit!

2. lisette August 6, 2012 at 14:33 #

Great suit! My husband and I have been swimming every day since the Olympics; we detail the athletes forms and critic each other in the pool, it’s been great!

3. Bri August 6, 2012 at 23:40 #

An Elasticator foot? I’m intrigued and will have to look that up, I’ve just always taken the blade off when serging on elastic but I do love learning a new trick!
    I agree with you on watching the Olympics and staring at all the ladies in the swimsuits, although for me a lot of it was “geez I should play beach volley and get a bod like that!” ha ha! I love the suits the syncronized swimmers wear, they’re so cool!

Good luck on your pattern merging!

4. The Slapdash Sewist August 7, 2012 at 11:46 #

Dang, I shoulda thought to use that as swimwear! Well, turnabout is fair play, I suppose.

5. Becky August 10, 2012 at 08:30 #

I am totally intrigued by that cross over waistband on one view of the bottoms. Have you made that? I may have to locate this pattern just for that waistband. I would like to use that for workout pants as well as a swimming bottom.

6. Breyan September 9, 2012 at 00:14 #

I really like the fabric with the flowers. I’ve just recently purchased a reversible swimsuit (thus, with no lining), and gave no thought to trying ot make my own suit, although, my confidence is growing. I just found your blog today after searching for a pattern review (http://sewing.patternreview.com/review/pattern/71553). I really appreciated your take on the dress, and have enjoyed your blog even more today.

I am getting back into sewing after exploring other hobbies and its really nice to find others with a ‘voice’ similar to mine. I am now picking things back up by tyring out new patterns and fabrics, finding local groups (I’m in Northern Virginia) and taking a class or two here and there. Looking forward to reading more. Thanks so much for sharing!

• Miss Celie September 11, 2012 at 10:20 #

Ahhh! Thank you very much. Sewing is the best hobby, ever. There are sometimes meetups in Baltimore and DC. I’ll try to email them to you as I hear about them. Welcome back to sewing!