Officiant Dress Begun

30 Aug

I finally started on my officiant dress  last Saturday night. The wedding is in ten days. Which would normally be plenty of time. But, because of my job, I’m working all Labor Day weekend (this weekend).

And, because I’m the caller on my office dragon boat team, I’m on the Inner Harbor all day, the day of the wedding. So, nights after work are kind of *it*.

I’m making this Burda 2-2009-124 pattern. Surprised? You thought I was making the famous Galaxy Dress from Vogue patterns, right? Yeah, so did I.  I went to four different Joann’s Fleece and Crap on two different pattern sale weekends to get the pattern and struck out every single time. And, for me who commutes 8 miles roundtrip each day, schlepping an hour roundtrip  to the suburbs to find a pattern times four makes me SALTY.

Then, I decided to just order it online with the last sale. Brilliant, no? Well, I’m an idiot because I ordered everything I wanted *but* that pattern.

So executive decision to sew this dress instead. It’s simple, good lines, should flatter the figure and was actually in my possession.

I cut a size 40 and made a 1 inch FBA by adding a dart at the side. I made two muslins of the top as my dart adding is notoriously horrendous. And, for some reason I can’t seem to grasp that I should make a 38 with an FBA.  But, I’ll tell you now, the fit is still kind of wonky. And, I think I look a little chunk (boxy)  in it.

The Carolina Herrera polyester jacquard from Mood Fabric is underlined in silk organza. I managed to get that done after work last week by hand basting and marking the darts with basting thread (not my basting thread from Amsterdam. I can’t seem to find the five spools I bought).

The lining is going to be half Bemberg half silk charmeuse. I unfortunately started cutting the lining first, before I added some width the to neckline. I have fairly short shoulders and in the muslin the neck was too wide for me. So, some charmeuse was lost in the making of this dress.

Now, I also need to continue writing my remarks for the day. Eek. Where does the time go? I’ll check back in after it’s done…

26 Responses to “Officiant Dress Begun”

1. lakaribane August 30, 2012 at 07:28 #

I love that fabric so much! And I can safely say, from my personal experience with V8280, that your current schedule would NOT result in a perfect dress. The flange, the stupid, tricky, rebellious flange!!!!!!

2. allisonc August 30, 2012 at 08:16 #

This is one of my all time favourtite patterns and it is so easy it almost makes itself – which it sounds like it needs to! The fabric is gorgeous, I think a simple dress will show it off perfectly. Good luck finishing it, hope you will be happy with the fit at the end.

• Miss Celie August 30, 2012 at 09:16 #

Trena told me to make this dress in the first place. But, honestly, it was your version that sold me on it.

3. Kristy August 30, 2012 at 08:31 #

nothing like a bit (or a lot) of pressure to make you more efficient and turn out something great! I too love the Vogue pattern but it is fiddly, and this Burda is equally beautiful because of it’s simplicity. I know you’ll make something awesome, can’t wait to see yout finished garment

4. allisblog August 30, 2012 at 08:36 #

Wow love the pic makes wanna go to the harbor i live here. Dress is cute

• Miss Celie August 30, 2012 at 09:17 #

Our staff photog took it! He’s great. You should come down next weekend for the races! It’s a totally fun experience.

5. Becky August 30, 2012 at 09:00 #

Hang in (like you have any choice), you will get everything done! You do have a busy life, and you are ambitious in your projects, but you always seem to get things done in a miraculous way. The dress will be wonderful. The busy fabric will look great in a simple design. The words will come. There is a reason you were asked to do this most important task, and it will come to you. Good luck over the next few days with time management!

6. allisblog August 30, 2012 at 11:57 #

Oh that would b actually kind of cool r they public where? R they near the aqauarium paddle boats?

7. Bold Sewist August 30, 2012 at 12:34 #

I hope you sort out the fitting issues because that fabric is fabulous! The end result will be great, I’m sure, and perfect for the ceremony :-)

8. T. Sedai August 30, 2012 at 13:58 #

It looks fabulous so far! The simple pattern really lets the fabric stand out, and it is stunning fabric. Can’t wait to see the finished dress.

9. redsilvia August 30, 2012 at 15:41 #

That fabric is so stunning it needs the simple lines of this dress to showcase it. Plus you’ll look like a dignified hottie in it.

10. Angela August 30, 2012 at 15:45 #

Great picture! I like the purple fabric. ACR

11. Vivian August 30, 2012 at 16:47 #

I love the dress. u r teaching me a few things.
    thank you…..

12. Rachel August 30, 2012 at 21:46 #

Good Luck! It’s looking good so far. love the fabric

13. carol456 August 31, 2012 at 00:02 #

I love this fabric. I never think about this dress when I’m looking for a pattern but I have some fabric on my sewing table right now that would be perfect in this dress. Thanks for the inspiration!

14. Myra August 31, 2012 at 07:46 #

Wow this is beautiful so far! Just gorgeous!

15. Alice September 1, 2012 at 23:05 #

Hey, I couldn’t find an email to send this to you directly, but the Donna Karan coat pattern 2586 is on eBay at the moment in two different size ranges. I don’t know if your still interested or not but thought you would like to know.

16. oonaballoona September 1, 2012 at 23:41 #

that shot of you as caller is made of win. did you ever know that you’re my hero?

17. Carolyn September 2, 2012 at 16:35 #

You chose THE perfect fabric for the simple silhouette of this dress. Hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised by how good you are going to look in the finished dress.

18. Janice September 2, 2012 at 23:55 #

It looks beautiful! Can’t wait to see the finished dress.

19. Lizzy B. September 3, 2012 at 16:34 #

Wow, stunning fabric! So excited to see it finished…

20. Elizabeth Shaum Delfosse September 3, 2012 at 22:58 #

Hope you survived the weekend! It was awfully gross out there. The dress looks like it’s going to be gorgeous, as usual. Take a deep breath; you’ll get it all done and you’ll look fabulous. :-)

21. senaSews September 4, 2012 at 06:14 #

I think this “simple” pattern will give the perfect frame for this stunning fabric and you will look gorgeous in it. You can make it work!

22. Gail September 4, 2012 at 22:48 #

Wow that’s lovely.

23. L Garvey September 5, 2012 at 08:04 #

i know you are busy this month.i am enjoying your sewing journals and wonder where you get all your energy ! anyway my husband has a temporary job transfer to philadelphia this summer.to keep busy @ our temporary lodging ,i took up sewing a wall hanging and some other small projects.i can read a pattern and assemble clothing but doing the tweaking and adjustments are a disaster.i just dont get it-so a dress can look like a potato sack on me.any suggestions or do you know of a place in the Philadelphia area i can take some lessons on the finer points of sewing/measuring ?im a hands on learner and retain more by a class than a book. thanks,laurali

________________________________

24. ozlem September 16, 2012 at 11:35 #

Hi, I sewed same pattern but yours is stunning. Fabric is very important and yours is absolutely great..Bravoo….