Vogue 8825: Royal Blue and Gold Silk Jersey

6 Nov

After my Purple Friday dress, it feels great to return to my bold and graphic print roots!

Photobucket

But, let me tell you. This was the slowest silk sewing, evah. Let me splain you.

Photobucket

I first saw this silk jersey material in store at Mood Fabrics back in August. I hemmed and hawed and finally placed a phone order in October (now sold out).  I loved the blue and gold because they are my sorority colors and I knew I could get some good wear out of it during graduate chapter and regional meetings. Since the silk was just 45″ wide, I bought five yards at $25 a yard. I seriously debated the investment (hence the two month wait to purchase). But, both Trena and Liz pointed out a similar RTW dress would easily be twice as much.

Photobucket

This is my second time sewing with silk jersey. This Prarie NY silk jersey presented some new challenges for me. The fabric was ‘tough’ in that even when pinning, I had trouble penetrating the material. I knew silk was strong (silk thread for buttonholes, silk organza for stablising, etc.). But, my serger  just wanted to eat this material. I tried both stretch and ball point needles and my overlocker was having none of it. My sewing machine was punching holes through the jersey I wanted to cry. I think I may have a little.

I posted on Facebook and had some superhelpful responses. I went out and bought microtex and titanium needles upon the suggestions of the Interwebs. Both sewed through the silk like a knife through butter. It’s my first time experiencing this challange. But, again, only my second time with silk jersey.

Photobucket

I did a little handtacking of the collar to keep it in place. In a similar dress to this from Burda, there is interfacing throughout the facing and collar. I think this is a better way to stabilise the front.Photobucket

I took two inches off the bottom and decided not to ‘finish’ the hem. I made my usual alterations of a slight FBA and a big swayback adjustment. I sewed a 12 and the fit seems to be good. I am very self conscious about my lower thighs (saddlebags), so a slip is needed for me when I wear this dress.  Photobucket

The puzzle print is pretty bold. And, for a hot second I thought about trying to match the motif. But, decided not to bother.

Photobucket

There is some mirroring on the upper back. Trust me, I can live with it.

Photobucket

The skirt could probably be cut on the fold, but for my swayback adjustment purposes, I like a center back seam.

If you see my cuffs, they are folded under toward the inside. On PatternReview.com I read some people took length out of the sleeves.

Photobucket

I thought the length of the sleeve was fine, but the cuff wide for my taste. So, I’m folding it back.

Have I mentioned my mom *hates* sashes on me? She calls them ‘that fabric in front of you hanging from your waist’. HAHAHA! She cracks me up.

Photobucket

Overall, I’m thrilled. This dress is *so* me.  It’s body conscious without being tarty, the bold print, the shape of the skirt, the full sleeves. The silk. Man, the silk. I want to have a work week of silk jersey dresses. It’s so luxe.  I love that I’m wearing a dress that would start at retail around $300.  Absolutely worth the investment.

The material for this dress was purchased in part using an allowance from Mood Fabrics for the Mood Sewing Network.

56 Responses to “Vogue 8825: Royal Blue and Gold Silk Jersey”

1. girlguydogcat November 6, 2012 at 10:20 #

This is beautiful! I’ve added this pattern to my ‘to make’ list! And, I just got a box of knits in the mail (though not silk…). Love it.

2. Toby Wollin November 6, 2012 at 10:20 #

OMG – that dress just looks fantastic – so you and looks GREAT. And the needle recommendations are something I just wrote down on a sticky, too.

3. Tanika D. November 6, 2012 at 10:23 #

You look amazing in these pictures! And that dress makes your bod look HAWT!!! Girl, I am jealous. You make me wanna get out on the exercise floor and do some crunches!

4. Elizabeth November 6, 2012 at 10:32 #

OMG, so gorgeous. I’m glad you were able to work out the problems with your needles. It was so worth it!

5. New Ribena November 6, 2012 at 10:36 #

Your dress looks great…isn’t silk jersey just the most delightful fabric ever. I have that pattern prepped and ready to sew. You have just given me the final encouragement needed.

6. smonakey November 6, 2012 at 10:39 #

Truly gorgeous dress, Cidell! The colors, the fit, everything about it looks fantastic on you.

7. lisette November 6, 2012 at 10:41 #

So gorgeous! I loved this pattern as soon as I saw it and bought when it first went on sale. Now I know what I’m making as soon as theater sewing is done!

8. Colleen P. November 6, 2012 at 10:49 #

Oh that dress is GAWJUS on you! Really flattering cut and shape (yes, even the fabric that hangs down in front! LOL!). I am making notes for the Titanium and microtex needles as well.

9. Katrina Blanchalle November 6, 2012 at 10:52 #

Beautiful! It fits so perfectly, and I couldn’t think of a better match of fabric and pattern. Thank you for sharing your experience with the silk jersey – I will definitely get a few of those needles before I try sewing on it.

10. Leanne November 6, 2012 at 10:54 #

Bee-U-tee-full! Love the colors and the pattern.
    I just bought some 4ply silk to make mother of bride dress, spending more per yard than I ever have. But the feel of silk! You’re right on that point! Thanks for mentioning the needle issue. I’ll have to test out my usual sharp points to see if I have a similar problem.

11. julinhappyhomemakerredux November 6, 2012 at 10:55 #

The dress looks wonderful on you, sash and all! I wouldn’t even have the courage to cut into silk jersey.

12. Ilse Moore November 6, 2012 at 10:57 #

The dress looks lovely on you. Great job. And I love the colors!!

13. Teri November 6, 2012 at 10:58 #

What a great looking dress. Just pinned the pattern so I won’t forget it. Love the print, love the dress. Looks great on you.

14. Margo November 6, 2012 at 11:00 #

Wow, what a beautiful dress. I think it looks just wonderful on you, and I love the neckline and the sash! Mmm, now I want to try some silk jersey…

15. Darci Doodle November 6, 2012 at 11:10 #

You look amazing, Cidell! I bet that silk feels amazing next to your skin, too!

16. Ann November 6, 2012 at 11:16 #

I’ve read your blog for years, and today I must comment! That dress is amazing on you! Thanks for the good tips about needles. I’ve let my sewing slide, but now I am re-energized.

17. June November 6, 2012 at 11:30 #

The bold print suits you so well! I like sashes, although I typically tie them to 1 side, rather than straight down. Hope your basement is all dried out now.

18. T. Sedai November 6, 2012 at 11:36 #

So pretty! You look great in such bold fabric. And the pattern is a fantastic choice for it. I love the sleeves.

19. LLADYBIRD November 6, 2012 at 11:50 #

You look AMAZING! Love everything about this dress – especially that gorgeous, bold fabric. So perfect on you!

20. kathleen November 6, 2012 at 11:56 #

So Pretty!! You look mahvelous!

21. mrsmole November 6, 2012 at 12:04 #

Looks more like a $500 for sure! You are radiant and all your skill paid off!!!!!

22. Katie November 6, 2012 at 12:17 #

Looks amazing! I love the bold colors! Looks more than $300 to me!

23. Tia Dia November 6, 2012 at 12:36 #

LOVE! This dress is in my queue, albeit in a more subdued poly knit (that I may loathe wearing – we’ll see), and it’s great to see such a beautiful rendition of the design.

24. Wendy November 6, 2012 at 12:44 #

Stunning dress, it looks so good on you. I’ve added that pattern to my wish list – gorgeous!

25. Debra November 6, 2012 at 13:16 #

Your dress is amazing. You look beautiful in it! Thank you for being such an inspiration!

26. LinB November 6, 2012 at 13:41 #

Ooh la la! The shape is wonderful on you! I like the big, bold print — agree that trying to pattern match at the seams would have brought on fits of insanity. You could always wrap the sash to tie at the back: my sway-backed mother and I often do that. A bow or knot fits neatly into the “sway,” and accentuates our generous bottoms. (Might as well flaunt what you cannot hide, say we.) ((“Generous bottom” is a technical term, from an article in a 1980s Psychology Today magazine that illustrated nine basic bottom types. I kid you not.))

27. Irene B. November 6, 2012 at 14:33 #

I LOVE this dress, both pattern and fabric/colours. Man, I LOVE it!

28. lakaribane November 6, 2012 at 14:36 #

Love it! Great colors on you and the shape at midriff is so flattering to your waist, OMG!

And I guess the blog makeover is because of sports team too. Purple is my favorite color, so I am not complaining AT ALL!!!

You look so good in it, I want one too! In fact, I actually have this pattern (I think) but I am wondering if it isn’t too much dress for my frame, especially that shape of sleeves. Very 70s flair.

29. Robin November 6, 2012 at 14:45 #

Gorgeous!!! That dress looks just beautiful and you are totally rockin’ it. Thanks for sharing those tips on working with silk jersey… your description makes me think I need to invest and make a beautiful dress for me! :)

30. Connie November 6, 2012 at 15:05 #

Loving that on you! Beautiful fabric choice, perfect fit- methinks you got a good thing going on there!

31. Carol November 6, 2012 at 15:20 #

This is so lovely on you. The print is great and the style is really flattering. I just bought this same pattern a few weeks ago but now we’re coming in to summer it’s too warm a style for me to wear. It will have to wait until next winter.

32. SA Curve Ruler November 6, 2012 at 15:32 #

Your dress is fabulous!!!

33. Seraphinalina November 6, 2012 at 15:57 #

What a great dress. I didn’t know about titanium needles.

34. Amanda November 6, 2012 at 16:10 #

This is luxe! I love that pattern- it is amazing! I must admit to never having heard of silk jersey before (I’m still kinda new to this whole sewing shebang) so I’m going to see if I can track some down. This looks so lovely!

35. Becky November 6, 2012 at 17:04 #

I was just about to leave you a comment a couple of days ago asking where this dress went! I love it, it was worth the wait. You look gorgeous. Good colors and style for you. Titanium needles? Who knew! I learn something every time I read your blog.

36. sewmanju November 6, 2012 at 18:23 #

Gorgeous! Want some silk jersey!

37. Elizabeth Shaum Delfosse November 6, 2012 at 18:29 #

That is freaking gorgeous! God, I have got to start sewing for me again. That pattern is awesome, too.

38. Mary in FL November 6, 2012 at 19:14 #

The dress is beautiful, and looks really classy on you!

39. Lyrique November 6, 2012 at 19:16 #

What a pretty dress! You look sensational in it.

40. andrea670 November 6, 2012 at 20:00 #

I love your version on this dress. You look beautiful.

41. Andrea November 6, 2012 at 20:06 #

I love your version on this dress. You look beautiful. I knew I would like this pattern when I purchased it.

42. kbenco November 6, 2012 at 20:07 #

The dress is beautiful on you. The non pattern matching back is not only sensible avoidance of things-that-can-drive-you-crazy, but breaks up the big print nicely, like the v neck and pleats do at the front. (I am trying to say it looks better that way IMO ;) )

43. myrosesindecember November 6, 2012 at 22:13 #

Beautiful dress and even more important, it looks beautiful on you. Great job.

44. Jane's sew & tell November 7, 2012 at 02:39 #

Lovely dress – congratulations!

45. Crystal November 7, 2012 at 02:45 #

It looks amazing on you! Fabulous print, great fit, and I love that fabric hanging from your waist!

46. Gail November 7, 2012 at 03:49 #

I just adore your new dress. You’ve achieved the perfect fit and the style and colours suit you so well.

47. emoniedezign November 7, 2012 at 05:57 #

Amazing. That Dress look outstanding on you! Go head!

48. Linda L November 7, 2012 at 06:55 #

This is a very flattering dress on you; love the style and your fabric. I have never sewn silk jersey before and should I ever attempt it I will have to try the microtex needles.

49. LynneW November 7, 2012 at 11:19 #

That dress is beautiful on you. The fit looks perfect! I love the way your skills get better & better…

50. The Slapdash Sewist November 7, 2012 at 11:47 #

I have GOT to get around to that pattern. It’s so flattering, and the large print really works with the style.

51. SewRuthie November 9, 2012 at 13:12 #

What a great dress. It looks fab on you :-)

52. allisonc November 13, 2012 at 02:53 #

Stunning dress, I bet in that silk jersey it feels as gorgeous to wear as it looks. I really liked this pattern when it came out, but didn’t get around to buying it – now I think I must!

53. sewplaysew November 27, 2012 at 23:30 #

I love this dress on you! I so need to find a similar pattern a silk jersey, whatever that is! :-). Amazing.

1. Destination Shopping: Fabric Mart Road Trip (upcoming) « Miss Celie's Pants - November 9, 2012

[...] you for all delightful comments on my last garment, the blue and gold silk jersey dress. I’m flattered that you took the time to comment. It’s one of my new favorites and [...]

2. Vogue 8825- I feel like a chubby Bond Girl « Pretty Grievances - December 8, 2012

[...] without pain of death reveal the names of the other Vogue 8825 operatives in the Field, but Ruth, Miss Celie, Sew Wil, Jess and The Mahogany Stylist   have all saved many a life and country in their [...]

3. 2012 Sewing Year in Review « Miss Celie's Pants - December 31, 2012

[...] Vogue 8825 Puzzled Dress. This dress gives me life. It’s the best cut for my frame in a luxiours material if Mood’s silk jersey. [...]