Burda Magazine 9/2012 #109: Blue Wool Sweater Dress

30 Dec

I’m continuing my current passion for sweater knits in this Burda sheath dress from September 2012. While I’m still tracing mine from the magainze (tears), you can download it for a mere $5.40 from the BurdaStyle website here.

This marine blue knit was purchased in the same bundle as the autumnal pullover I just completed. The knit is incredibly soft. I love the way the colors meld in this knit. I originally sewed this dress to wear to a Hanukkah party and have pulled it out a few times for work since then.

Since the pattern uses the same upper body model as my recent pullover, the FBA alterations on the French darts / busts were already done.

I love the sleeve technique used. See the pleat at the deltoid? It’s sewn in one fell swoop with the shoulder seam.

Next time I make this dress (and there will be a next time) I’m going to use the same back neckline  from the original pullover. I decided to skip the zipper, but you’ll see here in the back that this dress version doesn’t have the v-shape back necline as the pullover.

That makes the dress little bit of a stretch to get in and out of since I use interfacing along the neckline and armholes to reduce… well, stretching. Also, I think this a lot of dark fabric too close to my face. I thrive in color and I think something more open in the neckline might be more flatterning.

Is it strange that only in the last two years I’ve noticed how incredibly short my neck is? Strange because I’ve always thought my mom had a short neck. Now, I think *I* have a short neck. Which means, of course, that I’m well on my way to becoming my mother….

Notice I’m not holding a remote nor am I in my backyard or dining room? It’s was so foggy when I wore this dress. So, I talked my friend Liz in to being my photographer and this is our conference room. Man, it’s so much easier to have someone else take your pictures (as long as they know you need 60 to have one good shot).

Look at me! I’m ‘working’.

Look at me! I’m ‘modeling’

Heh.

I’m a fan of this dress and have to thank Caroline for turning me on to the style! I feel more coming in wool jersey, don’t you?

I have two more sweater knit projects coming, including something I never thought I’d make. A cardigan! Stay tuned :)

The material for this dress was purchased in part using an allowance from Mood Fabrics for the Mood Sewing Network

38 Responses to “Burda Magazine 9/2012 #109: Blue Wool Sweater Dress”

1. nettie December 30, 2012 at 10:19 #

I love the dress version!! In fact, I have loved every version of this top so far. The knit you used is such a pretty color and you’ve managed a great fit as usual.

2. Leanne December 30, 2012 at 10:20 #

Love, love, LOVE the dress! Are sweater knits hard to work with?

• Clio December 30, 2012 at 10:43 #

Yes! This is great on you! I’d also like to hear more about how you work with sweater knits!

3. Erin Cumming December 30, 2012 at 10:24 #

This dress looks so great on you—perfect fit and great fabric choice. Happy New Year!

4. Thea December 30, 2012 at 10:38 #

Wow, it looks great! I find this much more inspirational than the Burda pictures ;-) we’ll see if I can overcome my dislike for tracing patterns for this. Is there any chance you could post a close-up of the fabric? I find fabric choice quite challenging (beginner here, hello!) and would love to have a better idea of what you used.

5. Jenny December 30, 2012 at 10:44 #

Hi – I’m new to your blog ~ i really like your blog and especially your sewing! This dress looks great!

6. Reethi Jagannathan December 30, 2012 at 10:50 #

What a lovely dress! I think this is my favorite of your recent makes, though I think that the Ravens purple might have something to do with it – as a Patriots fan, the Ravens must be hated. :)

I have some sweater knit and a copy of this magazine… I feel some shameless copying coming on!

7. Andrea December 30, 2012 at 10:57 #

This is such a great style on you! You have such a great figure. I loved the top you made that was similar to this also.
    *Oh, and don’t we all become our mothers eventually?

8. Sigrid December 30, 2012 at 10:58 #

Lovely dress on you. I was put off by the Burda versions, it’s really a nice pattern though.

9. lakaribane December 30, 2012 at 11:23 #

You are ending 2012 on a high note, love your recent FOs so much! this looks great on you but I agree the little surprise of the V back on the top would work great on a dress too. Now you have me on pins and needles for the NYE dress I hope you are making…

10. Mary in FL December 30, 2012 at 11:37 #

Very classy, and no surprise that it fits so well!

11. Leslie December 30, 2012 at 12:33 #

I think I need that pattern, but I like your banded back v neck version better.

12. Heather December 30, 2012 at 13:29 #

OMG this looks so fine on you!

13. Debbie Cook December 30, 2012 at 14:07 #

I think the neckline is VERY flattering on you. You have such a pretty face and it is framed wonderfully with this dress. Love the color too. Wouldn’t change a thing. :-)

Happy New Year!

14. Melizza December 30, 2012 at 15:03 #

What a gorgeous style and fit. The color looks amazing too. Everything about looks great to me. Have a happy new year!

15. Vicki December 30, 2012 at 15:37 #

Very nicely modelled! The dress looks very classy in the wool knit.

16. gingermakes December 30, 2012 at 15:39 #

Love this dress! This pattern is super cool– looking forward to seeing more versions on you!

17. Becky December 30, 2012 at 15:44 #

Have you lost weight? This dress makes you look like you have. I wouldn’t change a thing about it, it is very flattering. Good style for you.

• Miss Celie December 30, 2012 at 19:28 #

Sadly, I *wish*. Fall has not been kind to me, LOL! Trickery my friend! And, some serious sucking in. Thank you. This is a good style for me :)

18. O! Jolly! December 30, 2012 at 16:19 #

Your dress is great! Though I’ve designed/developed sweater knit fabrics for years (for others), I’m only now beginning to actually sew them myself. I’m sewing a sweater now. But you’ve inspired me. I may very well try a dress next!

Though I love all your pics, I particularly like the one of you ‘working’. :)

19. Amanda December 30, 2012 at 17:15 #

Wow- this looks really awesome! I love the simple lines and the fabric choice is stunning.

20. Gail December 30, 2012 at 18:10 #

I wondered what this pattern would look like in a knit – answer – just great! I’ve enjoyed reading your blog in 2012. Happy New Year :)

21. TE December 30, 2012 at 18:31 #

What brand and model of iron do you use? I’m in the market. Tried a Singer, but it was all modern and electronic – meaning that it took EIGHT thumb clicks every time I turned it on to get to the same setting I used last time. Not acceptable.

Anybody? Irons with good water capacity, some heft, easy sliding soleplate and boring, easy to use (and keep the same temp setting between uses) controls?

• Miss Celie December 30, 2012 at 19:22 #

Personally, I really love a gravity feed iron and can’t wait to get back to one. My Rowenta is perfectly nice. But, for the cost, I think a gravity feed is a better option (if you have space of course).

22. Annie Shao December 30, 2012 at 20:10 #

Would you consider doing a tutorial on how to do a FBA for a french dart? I haven’t been able to figure it out despite people saying you just slash as usual…. There are a couple of burda patterns that I really want to try but haven’t because I need a 2 inch FBA…

23. Kay December 30, 2012 at 21:39 #

Love this dress on you!! perfect fit, the style suits your body shape and this particular shade of blue looks gorgeous on you!

24. Jody December 31, 2012 at 07:27 #

I love your blog! Your finished products never fail to inspire me, thanks for taking the time to share!

25. Elizabeth January 1, 2013 at 13:19 #

Love this dress. I have to try it. How large was your fba?

• Miss Celie January 1, 2013 at 13:44 #

About 1 inch width and 3/4 length… my darts are a little too long

26. allisonc January 1, 2013 at 19:19 #

I love this dress and must add it to my every growing list. It looks simple but so flattering and easy to wear.

27. Lisette January 2, 2013 at 09:37 #

The fit on this dress is perfect! I love sweater dresses, which I keep knitting, I think I should also start sewing them!

28. Cennetta January 8, 2013 at 14:15 #

Love you new knit dress. It fits you to a “T” and is very flattering. I see why you have plans for another one.

29. mssewcrazy January 9, 2013 at 07:39 #

I love all these knit pieces you are doing lately. Burda should put you on commission for all these. You look great in all of them. Make more. I enjoy reading your blog and seeing your work.

30. Lele January 20, 2013 at 00:30 #

I have recently rekindled my interest in sewing and just found your blog today. I have to say you are a great inspiration, not to mention a stunningly beautiful lady! Thank you so much and I will definitly be back on a daily basis:>)

1. Baby Blue Burda Style Pullover: 11/2012 #124 « Miss Celie's Pants - January 30, 2013

[...] knits from my October in-store purchase of three. The other similar sweater knit projects became my marine wool dress and an autumnal sweater. I *love* pastel blue. I seriously have over 20 pastel / baby blue nail [...]

2. Burda 9-2012-109: Black Eyelet Dress | Miss Celie's Pants - August 10, 2013

[…] had minimal time to sew, I chose something I’d already traced and worked out my fit issues,  Burda 9-2012-109. I made it first in a blue sweater knit. This time, I sewed it up in a woven black cotton eyelet from my […]