Yellow, Black and White Maxi: Simplicity 3503

18 May

It’s not too often I outright copy Trena and make something because I saw hers. I mean, I get salty when I give her unloved fabric and she turns it into a masterpiece. When? Like this shirt and this dress.  I already know I’m going to be mad when she sews this fabric from China. Four years ago Trena made (now out of print) Simplicity 3503 and I was j-e-a-l-o-u-s. Don’t get me wrong, I’d made my own version and a version for a friend. But, Trena’s was stunning with the use of border prints. And, the version for me I gave away to Liz because I didn’t understand a FBA back then. Once I knew I needed an FBA, I just didn’t like the way the dress fit. Ann, if you ever ever ever get that fabric again, please send me a telegram.

photo file_zps5ad95938.jpg

So, here’s my newest Simplicity 3503 (complete with a FBA), a good four years after the maxi dress trend peaked, lol. I’ve wanted to add more yellow to my wardrobe the last two years too. The fabric was in my stash from Fabric Mart and I scooped up an additional two yards at the DelMarVa blogger meet up last fall. I needed it too because of the way I wanted to cut out and place the various prints.

photo file_zps062dc3bf.jpg

This is one of the prettiest things I’ve made lately. But, guys. It’s a kind of a hot, happy-hands-at-home mess.

photo file_zpsa8c3c8e1.jpg

1. I really really detest facings and sewing knits by turning under and stitching from the outside (wrong sides facing each other). I think it never looks nice and always looks homemade. My halter looks all kinds of janky on the outside edges because of it. And, I’ve already pressed the life out of it.

photo file_zps836a649c.jpg

The inside of the dress is also self-lined.

photo file_zps48a0105b.jpg

2. To get the waist to fit nicely (I really shoulda/ coulda cut a whole size or two smaller), I took in the waist a few inches. I forgot that my facing knit at the waist band is SUPER stable. Which meant I couldn’t get the dress on after taking it in  as it wouldn’t stretch in the waist. To ‘fix’ that, I just sliced into the facing at the sides.

photo file_zpsa8ea6866.jpg

Now, I could rip out the waist, recut and resew. But, I’m already not happy with the way the halter looks. I am going to put this dress in the magic closet and see if I have the energy at some point to redo the waist. But, for now. I just don’t have it in me.

You can see a little peek of my bra on the left under my arm. Well, that’s after I took the straps up by two inches on each side. I also made a one inch FBA and shortened the dress by four inches.

photo file_zpsb9343a96.jpg

Half of this was sewn on my new-to-me serger, the Babylock Imagine. So far, I am in love. I’ll do a separate post on it after I’ve sewn a few more items. But, this garment also made me get a serger. My Euro-Pro was chewing up and eating holes (while shredding and breaking threads) in this dress and many of the other knits I’ve tried to sew the last year.  I was so frustrated I wanted to *throw* it against a wall. It has served me well low these past 8 years. But, at $400 for the price from HSN. It has served its purpose and I bid it adieu to the sewing machine farm in the sky.

photo file_zps0ee1bfbb.jpg

I wore the dress today to a wedding/ logistics- rehearsal. I’m officiating the wedding next weekend at my friends’ home. Doesn’t a maxi dress just make you think of Miami and a pool?  In my mind I’m making something new to wear. But, I haven’t even started….

photo file_zps24a27b4e.jpg

46 Responses to “Yellow, Black and White Maxi: Simplicity 3503”

1. Carole Mellin May 18, 2013 at 18:15 #

I think you look wonderful in that dress. The color and the style fit the bill for summer. Even if you think it looks a little wonky I’ll bet no one else does. You know the six foot rule…

2. Shams May 18, 2013 at 18:27 #

Wow, that is so stunning in that border print! I remember when that was for sale on the FM site – it didn’t grab me, but you really made it sing.

3. Deb May 18, 2013 at 18:30 #

I agree completely with Carole- until you point out the flaws you see, no one will see anything other than a great dress! I love the way you lined up the print- I thought I’d never wear yellow but I would totally wear this dress!

4. Vicki May 18, 2013 at 18:49 #

Looks pretty good from here :)

5. Shirley May 18, 2013 at 19:09 #

Trend or no trend, it looks gorgeous on you.

6. Gail May 18, 2013 at 19:11 #

This dress looks lovely on you. I didn’t have great success with the pattern.

7. Myra May 18, 2013 at 19:29 #

Your dress is gorgeous! It looks beautiful on you!

8. Kathleen May 18, 2013 at 20:01 #

Beautiful dress! Those are such teeny flaws, they’re invisible if you don’t know they’re there

9. LynneW May 18, 2013 at 20:22 #

Beautiful dress on you! I know what you mean about reaching for perfection- go for it!

10. Rosalia May 18, 2013 at 20:27 #

It is a gorgeous dress, love the color combination! Question for you: what is an FBA?? Thanks for your time!

11. Kay May 18, 2013 at 20:44 #

The dress is actually stunning on you. The print is absolutely gorgeous. You should NOT shove this into the closet. WEAR IT.
    Plus Maxi’s are back.

12. Disa May 18, 2013 at 20:47 #

Hope this gives you some ideas about how to manage those pesky, slippery knits!

13. Lori May 18, 2013 at 21:34 #

Gorgeous dress, you look fabulous.

14. cjgal May 18, 2013 at 21:45 #

I think this dress is stunning on you! I feel you on the janky inside and seam ripping, redoing, taking in, etc… I’ve really been struggling with my latest project. Sometimes it gets to a point where the inside may look less than desirable but the outside looks fabulous! And that’s wht counts, amirite?

15. CGCouture May 18, 2013 at 21:48 #

TBH, I thought it was perfect until you pointed out the flaws, LOL! But, I think it’s still worth saving because that fabric and shape look AMAZING on you!! And actually, if you just topstitched it again from the right side and ripped out the old, the rest of it could just be your (well, and those of us who read your blog’s) little secret. :-)

Glad to hear you like the Imagine so far…I love mine, though I sometimes wish I would have sprung for the Evolve… ;-)

16. darlene May 18, 2013 at 23:07 #

i love your blog … it’s always to *interesting* (dontcha just love that word — so ambiguous!) … no, seriously, i really do love this blog; you are so honest and straight-forward and you *tell it like it is,* that could be construed to say, *we are our own worst critics* … hmmmm, did i say that??? … now, i would like to say, we sewists see more flaws in our work than any one else will ever see … i’m telling you this, b/c your new black and yellow dress is gorgeous and you look amazing in it … i can see the wacky sewing lines in the halter, but i sew and see those things; i can see the bra peeking out the armhole, but i sew and see these things; i can see all the flaws you point out, but ….. take credit for a gorgeous dress, for the daring it takes to wear this style and pull it off, and for the chutzpa you have for being the outgoing person you are … don’t hide it away till you feel *good* or till you have *time* (who the heck has *time* to spare???), just wear it and know you look awesome — far outshining anyone daring enough to criticize you, even in their tiny minds …

now, if i only had a *math brain* i, too, could master the fba — not with an english degree and cs degree, though …. anyway, thanks for your great, encouraging blog and your amazing sewing …. NOW, GO WEAR THAT DRESS …. i’m so jealous … LOL …… darlene

17. Carolyn May 18, 2013 at 23:12 #

I don’t care what you say that dress is stunning on you!

18. jillybe May 18, 2013 at 23:45 #

Forget the so-called “flaws” – this dress is gawjuss on you! Seriously, I must make me a maxi dress….

19. Jenny May 19, 2013 at 00:02 #

Gorgeous! Beautiful use of print and I love the color combo!

20. Summer May 19, 2013 at 01:56 #

Great dress! And a really fun post to read. I had to laugh at seeing the inside waist, because I know how horrible unpicking serging is. I have one of those magical closets, too, but I think mine is broken ;)

21. Claudia May 19, 2013 at 02:36 #

This maxi dress is gorgeous, you look absolute beautiful, wow!
    Best regards
    Claudia

22. lakaribane May 19, 2013 at 08:54 #

Hey, I recognize that fabric, it was a big hit online a few years ago, IIRC. Your dress looks fantastic. (OT but you intrigued me with your text on Fri, more info please!)

23. BeeBee May 19, 2013 at 09:00 #

I want my fabric back now, please.

24. Yvette May 19, 2013 at 09:11 #

It’s a great dress. I love the pattern and the style. It looks great on you.

25. Kay May 19, 2013 at 09:47 #

regarding the issue of removing serging. Use a needle and pick at the ends. You will have several thread strands. Pull on the shortest one and the serging will come right out.

26. Beth (SunnyGal Studio) May 19, 2013 at 11:08 #

Love it looks fantastic. And who cares what the inside looks like. With pieces that are trendy or the fabric was very low cost I figure I will get some good seasonal wear from them and they will move out of my wardrobe. I am not building furniture, just cute dresses that won’t fall apart on me. Looking good! and the color combo is so striking on you. you are making me want a maxi and I don’t even like wearing them.

27. Kelly May 19, 2013 at 12:22 #

I’m sorry it didn’t turn out as well as hoped, because the fabric is spectacular in this pattern! You used the print perfectly.

28. Stephanie May 19, 2013 at 13:41 #

It’s gorgeous! It does seem to fit better than your last version. FBA’s, or any fit adjustments, make such a big difference!

I hope the maxi dress trend is still going strong. They are one of my favorite things to wear.

29. sarah121haras May 19, 2013 at 15:48 #

Divine! The print is amazing!

30. Nancy K May 19, 2013 at 18:13 #

Forget the ‘flaws’ only you will see them. The fit is great and you look really wonderful in this color combo. Nice setting.

31. Ernestine May 19, 2013 at 22:55 #

This is soooo beautiful! I think people will be so mesmerized by your beautiful fabric that the imperfections will go unnoticed! You should wear your dress proudly b/c it’s gorgeous!

32. Mary May 20, 2013 at 00:27 #

I love your maxi dresses, they are beautiful. I read the comment you made about the fabric from the first one and I have some of it in my stash – 2 pieces: 1 yard and 2 yards. I don’t know if I will ever sew it, I love it but it’s too much print for me. If you are interested let me know Will you see my email in the form below?

33. crystalpleats May 20, 2013 at 01:09 #

Gorgeous new maxi!

34. Rosalia May 20, 2013 at 02:26 #

Mary, I would be interested in purchasing this fabric – if Ms Celie does not need it!

35. Stephanie May 20, 2013 at 11:56 #

Your dress looks fantastic and those colours pop! You could always cover the halter edges with a piping of some sort, if the stitching bothers you that much…but I agree with the. 3 ft rule too.

36. LLADYBIRD May 20, 2013 at 14:23 #

Happy-Hands-At-Home or not, that dress looks AMAZING on you. Beautiful colors and print layout, and the fit looks totally great, at least in the pictures :)

37. gingermakes May 20, 2013 at 15:00 #

This dress is FABULOUS! You look amazing in it, like a Grecian goddess or something! It’s gorgeous!

38. Dawn May 20, 2013 at 15:18 #

If I had only look at the pictures of you wearing the dress, I would NEVER have guessed any of your sewing issues. It looks beautiful on you and your use of the print was fabulous!

39. The Slapdash Sewist May 20, 2013 at 19:38 #

You forgot this one, http://theslapdashsewist.blogspot.com/2012/01/vogue-1020-side-gather-dress-in.html. Heh.

Love this on you! Everyone’s wardrobe should have more yellow in it. The print and color placement on this are just perfect. What are you wearing to officiate????

40. Caroline May 21, 2013 at 11:15 #

love it, the colors are so chic. Very retro in a good way ;-)

41. Teri May 21, 2013 at 16:57 #

It looks fabulous on you! Wear it proudly.

42. bklynwriter May 21, 2013 at 18:52 #

the dress and fabric are a great match. i know this pattern is out of print, but i took a chance and FOUND IT AT WALMART!!!!!! I’ve been seeing it all over the internet, and am so happy! now to gain the courage to actually MAKE it up!

43. allisonc May 21, 2013 at 21:35 #

No one is going to notice the little sewing hiccups you can see, I love the way you have used the print and it seems to me maxi dresses are in every summer so hopefully this one won’t have to spend too long in the magic closet before you love it again.

44. senaSews June 13, 2013 at 04:11 #

I’m so sorry that you have/had so much truoble with this dress. I think it’s beautiful and you look gorgeous in it.

45. wildlycraving June 15, 2013 at 09:45 #

Renee, what a great dress! You should definitely wear more bright yellow.. more black-white prints… and more maxis! This is your best ever, IMO.

46. aprescod August 2, 2013 at 18:22 #

I love how it turn out, And the colors are Fabulous… Love it….