Officiating Wedding #2

26 May

photo file_zpsa231916f.jpg

So, I totally didn’t make a new dress to officiate my friends’ wedding on Saturday. The temps dropped and I ran out of time. But, that’s ok. I was able to wear this beautiful vintage yellow suit I bought two years ago.

photo file_zpsb8e8dd6a.jpg

Man. I love, love, love this outfit. Also, it helps embrace my earlier decree about a Motown like vibe for the forseeable future :)

photo file_zps7988e9a4.jpg

It’s perfect for spring since it’s a heavy polyester dress and jacket combo. Definitely too hot for summer and maybe too bright for winter. But, a low sixties, sunny day in May: perfect.

photo file_zpsa3c32ce2.jpg

This is my second time officiating and my second time almost crying at the lectern.

These guys were my neighbors when I first moved in my house. They helped me put up my awning every season, fix broken windows, drive me to the repair shop and feed me at Thanksgiving when I couldn’t make it to my parents. When they moved to the suburbs I was worried we’d lose touch. But, we haven’t.

photo file_zps6271a854.jpg

I was truly honored to be asked to be a part of their ceremony.

43 Responses to “Officiating Wedding #2”

1. Colleen P. May 26, 2013 at 10:00 #

AW! I love weddings, the ceremony of officially declaring the desire to share two lives, for the rest of those lives, always makes me so happy. May they have a lifetime of joy together. You look WONDERFUL and absolutely perfect in your vintage outfit!

2. sewforward May 26, 2013 at 10:28 #

Your outfit is beautiful. You look wonderful – but of course, you always do,too. What a wonderful event to be a part of. I had tears in my eyes seeing these pictures. May these two have a long wonderful creative life together :-)

3. Erica B May 26, 2013 at 11:13 #

You look great! The suit was perfect for the occasion.

4. Marty May 26, 2013 at 11:16 #

So awesome!

• Nancy K May 26, 2013 at 11:25 #

Your suit is perfect for the occasion and stunning.

• Mary Beth May 26, 2013 at 11:25 #

Love your hair and the outfit, I am really getting behind you as sleek, stylish grown up woman, even though you do cute young thing well, too. Congrats for being able to officiate at this wedding of your friends

• Miss Celie May 26, 2013 at 20:36 #

Thank you! I’m currently obsessed with YouTube videos on natural hair styling. It just never occurred to me I could ‘do’ my hair, lol!

5. oonaballoona May 26, 2013 at 12:07 #

you all look just stunning and so gloriously HAPPY!!!

6. Robin May 26, 2013 at 12:35 #

You nailed it – I LOVE the appearance of someone who has dressed for the occasion! It is such a great way to add to the overall festivity and seriousness when we bring out A game, sartorially speaking.

7. Kyra Sands May 26, 2013 at 14:13 #

Great big blessings to all of you! And you looked amazing!

8. K-Line May 26, 2013 at 14:15 #

That is a perfect outfit for officiating! You look very professional in it – but also elegant. And your friends are so sweet in their complementary outfits. I’m sure you made a huge contribution to a wonderful day.

9. didyoumakethat May 26, 2013 at 14:50 #

You look incredibly beautiful and so does your suit! I really want to hear more about that suit. It looks like such a happy day.

10. Becky May 26, 2013 at 14:57 #

You must be getting really good at this. I’d like to know how this got started. The couple looked very happy, and you looked joyous. It’s lovely to have the right thing to wear, and that suit makes me want to hit you in the head and steal it every time you wear it. You look stunning!

11. Rachel May 26, 2013 at 15:13 #

What a lovely friendship – one to treasure indeed. Lemon is such a flattering colour on you and perfect for spring!

12. Heather May 26, 2013 at 15:16 #

BEAUTIFUL!!! Yes, I am shouting…lol. Everything and everyone looks in perfect harmony.

13. M-C May 26, 2013 at 16:27 #

Aaaaw! How sweet! And all of you look gorgeous :-). Motown is style indeed, and not just in music.

14. Becky May 26, 2013 at 17:20 #

Jeez louise, I am insanely jealous of your ability to look so amazing in vintage clothes!!!

15. JC May 26, 2013 at 18:50 #

Hello. I remember the first wedding. If you don’t mind asking, do you officiate any weddings or are you denominational specific? I know some ministers only marry within their group/association/denomination. Nice outfit! :-)

• Miss Celie May 26, 2013 at 20:34 #

That’s a really good question. My first wedding was interfaith (Christian and Jewish). My second was Christian and same-sex. I’ve not really thought about it since it’s friends who’ve asked me. I was actually asked yesterday if / would I do this for another wedding of strangers. I politely declined. I think I would only do Judeo-Christian oriented ceremonies and for people I know. I think I’ve been called on by friends who do not have a specific place of worship. I’m pretty honored to be a part of it all. I was all done with being a bridesmaid in my 20s!

16. Gorgeous Things May 26, 2013 at 20:32 #

Simply stated? Gorgeous!

17. gingermakes May 26, 2013 at 21:15 #

Looks like a wonderful day! You must be a good friend to have been selected for such an important role in a wedding day (twice)! The suit is beautiful! You really wear vintage well. :)

18. Ernestine May 26, 2013 at 21:27 #

Beautiful outfit! What an honor for you!

19. Vicki May 27, 2013 at 06:07 #

It must have been very special for them to have you as the celebrant. Pretty colour on you too.

20. Bec May 27, 2013 at 06:25 #

I got teary reading that you got teary! You look gorgeous, and many happy returns to the married couple! (I’m sure a few tears are ok- as a midwife, I rarely had dry eyes when a baby was born!)

21. poppykettle May 27, 2013 at 07:04 #

That suit is spectacular!!! And so well fitting. I keep staring at the button detailing down the front. Love it! And such a gorgeous occasion to wear it… the pictures made me smile :)

22. Kristy May 27, 2013 at 07:23 #

It would be lovely to have you in the wedding photos looking beautiful in that gorgeous vintage suit instead of the slightly crazy and unfunny Chinese guy who officiated my wedding! If you keep up with the wedding business you’ll have plenty of reasons to sew more beautiful outfits

23. fabricdancer May 27, 2013 at 08:53 #

You look fabulous! But, you always do!! And what a lovely story–about love, friendship, neighborliness–thank you for sharing it with us.

24. hennasplace May 27, 2013 at 12:07 #

I think you officiating a wedding is wonderful and look great doing it. I hope that you get to do many more.

25. meli88a May 27, 2013 at 15:51 #

I love this story, and I love that suit you are wearing! Everything about it is just perfect, color, cut, everything — when I saw the thumbnail photo in my blog reader, I so wished that it was something you’d sewn so that I could find the pattern and make one too!

26. Stephanie May 27, 2013 at 17:12 #

That suit looks lovely on you – you wear vintage so well. Such an honour to be officiating your neighbours/ friends wedding, looks like you had a perfect day for it.

27. June May 28, 2013 at 09:37 #

Congratulations to the happy couple!
    And you look smashing in that suit – the color suits you soooo well.

28. Myra May 28, 2013 at 14:35 #

I agree with everyone here, this suit was perfect for the occasion! You looked stunning in that color, it enhances you complexion nicely, just beautiful!

29. Myra May 28, 2013 at 14:36 #

…BTW, give my congratulations to the very nice looking couple!

30. Magpie Stitcher May 29, 2013 at 22:50 #

Oh, no, not too bright for winter formal/church/dinner-type occasions! (In fact, I’d call it a classic winter color – and a really good one on you!)

31. Linda May 30, 2013 at 20:51 #

Very, very special; you look so glamorous!!!

32. Melissa Borromeo May 31, 2013 at 00:55 #

You looked stunning in your yellow suit! Congratulations to the lovely couple!

33. carol May 31, 2013 at 04:36 #

You look incredibly beautiful, as always. You’re so lucky to have been able to officiate for your friends. It looks like a lovely wedding.

34. Brenda June 4, 2013 at 16:06 #

100 percent against gay marriage. But, your dress is beautiful and I’m sure you did a wonderful job officiating.

• Rebecca June 9, 2013 at 08:37 #

Brenda, can I ask why exactly you felt the need to express your disapproval of someone else’s love? If you didn’t like it, move on. What you did here was make something beautiful, ugly.

35. Kathleen Brosnan June 5, 2013 at 12:21 #

Congratulations to the couple. And you, my dear, were never lovelier!

36. Shay June 6, 2013 at 23:04 #

How sweet! The grooms wore something blue…

I lust after your suit, btw. Awesome.

37. Rebecca June 9, 2013 at 08:35 #

Thank you for doing this – both sharing your blog and being willing to celebrate the love of people you care about. As a lesbian, it matters to me to know there are good people out there who actually care.

38. Barrie Haywood June 10, 2013 at 10:51 #

They look very happy together–and you look wonderful. No pics of the reception? I bet it was beautiful. GOD BLESS!!