Sewing Supplies (and machine repair) in Baltimore

21 Jun

photo null_zps0f741afb.jpg

For a few years now I’ve known about Stadham Corp of Maryland. They are a industrial machine supplier and repair shop in addition to a supplier for dry cleaning companies. My professional seamstress friend Lilya told me about them. What I didn’t know when I went today to drop off my blind hemmer, is that they have a STORE FULL OF SEWING SUPPLIES.

photo null_zps35fde097.jpg

You won’t know this from their website because it’s essentially terrible. But, here’s what I found. Gah. I’m almost scared to tell y’all because what if you buy ALL THE STUFF I want to own? But, I have to put this out there to keep the good things coming. I wasn’t prepared for all this goodness so pics are a little not great from my cell phone.

photo null_zpsdf6e2804.jpg

First, they have sewing machine repair. It’s a $20 deposit to have them look at your machine and that amount goes to the repair. I don’t know what’s going on with my hemmer yet but will let you know when I do. Oh… and I managed to break the needle yesterday which motivated me to come get it checked out *now*.  They claim they have the best machine repairman on the east coast…. I also made the late late connection of why sewing machine and vacuum repair are usually in the same shop. Belts. Both machines run with belts. Which also explains why the last machine repair guy I met used to work on cars for the Army in Vietnam. Belts and motors. *doh*

photo null_zps2544e51f.jpg

How great is the BF Goodrich belt system? You’re supposed to use it to see what size belt you have.

Right. I got a new belt for my Singer Featherweight 221 for $6.95. That’s a dollar less than online and no shipping.

photo null_zps8f640638.jpg

Do you need a lightbulb? I almost stole this poster…

photo null_zps4de23e87.jpg

So, outside of the industrial machines for testing (button tacker, button holer, blind hemmers, cover stitches, sergers, straight stitch Consews and Jukis) they have a slew of older home sewing machines left behind by customers for sale.

photo null_zps07b6d2a4.jpg

Fancy a pink Brother?

photo null_zps3c1c8929.jpg

After the machines gets to the really really good stuff. First, BUTTONS!!  I will never complain about the price of buttons again as long as I have access to this wall of buttons.

photo null_zps495f9222.jpg

Plain shirt buttons, fancy buttons, colored buttons.

photo null_zps02c87386.jpg

All sizes of the same style button. And these were like a few dollars for a dozen. A DOZEN.

photo null_zps1d37e88b.jpg

photo null_zps2a01009e.jpg

Along with the buttons are buckles for trenches and jackets and other things like D-rings

photo null_zps1161bde1.jpg

Next awesome thing? Zippers. Zippers.

photo null_zps62ce79e7.jpg

22 inch invisible zippers for a $1.25. And zipper shortening for 50 cents. Yo! 50 cents!

photo null_zpsa3107ebb.jpg

I almost laughed when I saw the zippers for coat linings, sleeping bags and coveralls.

photo null_zpsc8413744.jpg

I have gone to New York to buy sleeping bag and lining zippers. I coulda just driven 5.5 miles and gotten them myself! That said, living in the City, anything more than two miles away seems like the end of the Earth.

photo null_zps4215a105.jpg

They also have that tailer chalk I like to use and seam rippers for a $1.50

photo null_zps83576d2e.jpg

And threads for denim topstitching

photo null_zpsdbc8bd58.jpg

Actual buttonhole twist (which I thought I couldn’t find locally last year) I know this says Button Sewing Thread. But, there was ‘Buttonhole Twist’ right next to it :)

photo null_zpsad9e7d42.jpg

Boxes of vintage zippers too

photo null_zpscc133d61.jpg

Elastics of all shapes and sizes for less than $1 a yard
 photo null_zps8101bb03.jpg

Thread for blind hemmers (and sergers)

photo null_zps3a5a590f.jpg

Drafting rulers

photo null_zps6b4c6527.jpg

Also, I might have to buy this pressing horse (the one on the bottom).

photo null_zpsdb3725b9.jpg

I don’t know what took me so long to come out here!!!!

Here’s what I came home with: Sweat guards for my suit jackets and blouses (.75 cents), knitted cuffs and ribbing to alter my sweatshirt dress, and ribbing for my yet-to-be-sewn denim bomber jacket. That jacket ribbing was THREE DOLLARS.

photo null_zps8195321c.jpg

So, that’s Stadham Sewing over on the west side of Baltimore. Please go. Just don’t tell them how great their prices are. M’kay? Thanks.

51 Responses to “Sewing Supplies (and machine repair) in Baltimore”

1. Lyrique June 21, 2013 at 16:11 #

Wow! You found a priceless treasure.

2. Mary June 21, 2013 at 16:28 #

It’s kind of like an old-fashioned general store, only just for sewing stuff. You’ll be dreaming about this tonight!

3. Hilde June 21, 2013 at 16:28 #

Ooooh, paradise!

4. Ruth June 21, 2013 at 16:38 #

Yes, that’s how it used to be (and still is in many parts of the world).

5. Marjie June 21, 2013 at 16:41 #

It’s always amazing and wonderful to find a hidden treasure a mere 5.5 miles from your house! I wish it were closer to Scranton!

6. Beth (SunnyGal Studio) June 21, 2013 at 16:42 #

wow that place looks fantastic, I would have dropped so much $$$ there. what a great resource.

7. Becky June 21, 2013 at 16:49 #

Oh My Goodness! I am so jealous. If there is something like there anywhere close to me, I certainly don’t know about it. Now your imagination will not be limited by supplies. Looks like you can find just about anything you need.

8. Anna June 21, 2013 at 17:14 #

that brown Singer on the table of sewing machines is the model I sewed on as a teenager, my Mother still has it I think. You twist the lever to set the stitch length and then flip it up when you want to backstitch, such a reliable machine, loved it! That shop is amazing, glad you’ve got such a great supply place so near!

9. fabricdancer June 21, 2013 at 17:19 #

Thank you for sharing this with us! I’m in Northern Virginia, and I haven’t found any great sewing repair places here, so will definitely consider Stadham Sewing, especially since I have friends west of Baltimore!

10. LLADYBIRD June 21, 2013 at 17:23 #

WHAAAAT??! I wish we had a place like this locally. It looks AMAZING.

11. Lisette June 21, 2013 at 17:29 #

Oh my! Now I know where my next sewing excursion will be!

12. gingermakes June 21, 2013 at 17:44 #

Whoa! What a great find! I’m sending this post to my sewing sister that lives in Baltimore! Thanks for sharing!

13. Towanda June 21, 2013 at 17:53 #

This is where I took my vintage sewing machine to be repaired. Everybody is so helpful. It is a great resource. I bought the resin that I needed for my gravity feed iron there.

14. Melinda June 21, 2013 at 18:30 #

My hubby (who does all the work on our cars) pulled apart an old sewing machine that his sister had, and when I asked how he knew what he was doing he told me “A motor is a motor. They’re all basically the same in how they work” I’m sure there are differences in knowing about thread tension etc, but if it’s the motor not working then apparently it’s easy to figure out!

What a treasure trove you found! I’m so jealous.

15. Kathy June 21, 2013 at 19:07 #

Whaaaa?! Get outta town! I had no idea that this treasure was in town! I’m less then 6 miles from this place! Must go soon. Thanks for sharing!

16. Karen in VA June 21, 2013 at 19:25 #

I will have to visit the next time I visit my brother and his family in Baltimore…what a great find!!! Thanks for sharing it with us….

17. pcraine2 June 21, 2013 at 19:30 #

Talk them into reproducing and selling that lightbulb card, I’m begging you…

• Miss Celie June 21, 2013 at 19:45 #

I should ask to borrow and get it scanned. Wouldn’t it be terrific in a sewing room?

• Phyllis June 22, 2013 at 00:59 #

omg YES..

18. Robin Denning June 21, 2013 at 19:30 #

wow!

19. CGCouture June 21, 2013 at 20:41 #

Hot damn! Looks like you found a local treasure! :-)

20. Colleen P. June 21, 2013 at 20:43 #

HOLY SMOKES!! That’s it, I’m getting in the car tonight!

Seriously-I gotta tell my friend in DC about this and send her a list, it doesn’t look like we’re gonna get to Maryland any time soon. Thank you SO MUCH for telling us about this place!

21. Angela June 21, 2013 at 20:52 #

Yep, I’m jealous :)

22. SewSavory June 21, 2013 at 21:32 #

OMG! Makes me want to MOVE to Baltimore!

Thanks for spreading the news. I won’t tell them a thing about their prices, either.

23. Breyan June 21, 2013 at 23:04 #

Oh yeah! We’ve got a little group outing planned to head to Baltimore next Saturday. I think we’ll see if there’s a chance they might open for a bit that day. Thanks for the tip :-)

24. Yvette June 22, 2013 at 05:56 #

You are lucky!! We don’t have anything like this in England :(

25. BeeBee June 22, 2013 at 08:51 #

Squeeee!!! I had no idea! I love you, man!

26. Elaray June 22, 2013 at 09:02 #

Looks like heaven!

27. mrsmole June 22, 2013 at 10:46 #

Looks like you hit the mother lode of sewing supplies! Like a mini Wawak in your neighborhood…WOW! Thanks for the tour!

28. noriecreates June 22, 2013 at 11:35 #

Omg! I’m drooling right now! I could do sooo much damage there! You are one lucky girl!

29. Marsha June 22, 2013 at 13:53 #

This is on my to-visit list next time I’m in Baltimore.

30. mariesews June 22, 2013 at 14:40 #

So, So, SOOOO jealous. What a treasure trove of a store. Love the pink brother. When I grow up and marry rich, I want a pink sewing machine just for fun!

31. starryfishathome June 22, 2013 at 14:48 #

How much is the air fare to Baltimore from the UK? I want to go there and buy up the stock!

32. Hoosiermama June 22, 2013 at 16:06 #

Wow. I live in a suburb of Chicago, in a prosperous town of well over 100,000 people and we do not have ONE decent fabric store, or anything-else-sewing store, here. So cool for you!

33. Bonny June 22, 2013 at 18:37 #

This looks like a NYC garment city store! Ahhh and I was just in Baltimore! Next trip…

34. themateriallady June 23, 2013 at 11:25 #

Wow! That’s all – just WOW!

35. Renata June 23, 2013 at 20:31 #

You are making this up, right? There can’t possibly be a shop like that. Those photos are pure pain, I am crying. If you lived Down Under you would understand why.

36. Carissa June 24, 2013 at 09:21 #

I’m not too far away from there myself! I can definitely forsee a kid-free trip over there one day! Thank you for the lovely pictures too,

37. Belinda June 24, 2013 at 14:34 #

I’m so glad I read this post. I live in northern Virginia and I’ve been looking for an industrial sewing machine repair shop closer than Philly. I have an industrial cover stitch machine which I also purchased on eBay that needs cleaning and repair. I’ll be headed to Baltimore this Friday to drop off my machine. Friday can’t get here soon enough–I can’t wait to see what little goodies this shop has. Thanks for the post.

• Miss Celie June 24, 2013 at 16:22 #

Good to know! I hear they do ‘home visits’ and deliveries in the area. A cover stitch is next on my list!

38. DeDe June 24, 2013 at 15:54 #

This is great information to know. It’s about an hour drive but doable. Thanks!!

39. Susan Snow June 24, 2013 at 23:28 #

You are so BAD!!!! Miss Celie, you made me crazy to go to Amsterdam and now you are tempting me to go to this place. PS have you checked out the “Retro” patterns in the Burda book??

40. Layla June 25, 2013 at 10:00 #

I’m so psyched to read this! I look at their website every once in awhile when I do my annual ‘where are my closest Juki dealers’ search but I never went since they only have the industrials. But this place is definitely on my must visit list now.

41. The Slapdash Sewist June 26, 2013 at 14:16 #

Um, when are we going here? Because this is awesome.

42. Heidi June 27, 2013 at 14:35 #

I love your blog and I absolutely love your color choices! i have nominated your blog for the sweet Blogger Award

43. Mimi June 30, 2013 at 09:22 #

I live in Baltimore and have a 45-year-old Singer. Now I know where to go when she needs work! Thank you, Miss Celie!
    Mimi

44. Lyrique July 2, 2013 at 20:11 #

I am completely green with envy. I need machine service, but I live in New Mexico, that’s why! Whaaaaaa.

45. Heather July 10, 2013 at 10:14 #

Amazing! I can’t believe I have missed this place all these years. This fellow Baltimorean thanks you!!

46. Marti J July 20, 2013 at 17:26 #

Renee, there’s a place here in Northern Virginia where the zippers, all colors/sizes are $.25 each. I bought sequined fabric embroidered with tiny lace floral appliques and beads, for $3/yrd and made a dress in two hours before an event. (Very simple dress.) You need to venture south for a visit… to Van’s in the Seven Corners area of Falls Church.

47. violicious August 10, 2013 at 14:25 #

What would the world be without shops like this AND someone who knows how to repair amazing functional old machines! What a find!

48. Sharon January 31, 2014 at 21:53 #

This is the kind of store I need for sewing supplies and to have my machine repaired. Can you please provide me with the address and phone number. This store reminds me of the store that was once located in downtown Baltimore.
    Thanks