I Don’t Want to Overstate This

2 Jul

Folks, I don’t want to overstate this. But, the blind stitch machine may have changed my life.

I picked it up today from the repair shop. It was about $90 to repair — as much as I’d paid for the machine. It’s now purring like a kitten and sewing a FLAWLESS blind hem. I just repaired two skirts that needed the hem repaired in less than five minutes. And, it’s INVISIBLE!!!!

photo 2

The repair guy, Mike, called to talk to me about the machine. He thinks it’s been barely used, little sign of wear, tear and dust. He said it was worth the repair because it’s Made in Japan. He thinks it just doesn’t compare to what he’s seeing coming out on the market today. A new machine can be had for $349 these days. With repairs, mine was $180 and according to him — better quality.

I’m pleased as punch! Imagine, less hand sewing! My current project has some facings (blech). I can’t wait to try it out on them!! And, hopefully no more projects sitting around for days because I just don’t feel like hemming it!

This whole experience may have taught me to stop poo pooing the repair shop. I’ve never ever taken a machine in (figured I could always fix myself). It all just runs better now — in addition to working.

What’s next? A coverstitch. I despise hemming knits and love the look of knit binding. And, I’ve decided I want a complete arsenal of machines. The twin needle never did it for me. I’m thinking about a Brother. We’ll see!

29 Responses to “I Don’t Want to Overstate This”

1. mrsmole July 2, 2013 at 20:02 #

Good for you! If you have the room you can really whip out some hems! Coverstitch is a great addition…Babylock and Janome and Elna are super brands for that! My repair guy knows so much and it would be a super time to spend the day talking about machines!

2. Kim in El Cerrito, CA July 2, 2013 at 20:03 #

Have you ever known a man to have just one fishing lure or for that matter one fishing pole? Just sayen’.

3. Cherie July 2, 2013 at 20:14 #

Overstate away, I never would have thought of getting one! Now for the coverstitch, you will be hard or stop!

4. Robin July 2, 2013 at 20:24 #

I wonder what the blind hemmer would do on a knit? I actually used my blind hemmer foot on my sewing machine to hem knits – it has worked on the right fabrics. It is fiddly though and not really worth the effort. Still, you could try?

5. Breyan July 2, 2013 at 20:46 #

Thanks for the tip! I stopped throught there (en route to a business trip ) last Thursday to order a part for my Juki. Then my sewing group from the DC area (The Sewing Society) added this shop to our Baltimore fabric crawl. I think it’s a great shop. The guys are really nice and I even spoke to the mechanic a little about machines. Go there if you can!

6. Becky July 2, 2013 at 20:52 #

How terrific! I have to tell you I don’t hate handwork as much as you do. But, if having more machines floats your boat, go for it! I think it is wonderful that you have found just a good shop, and I think that is really fabulous that you are giving them such good press. These kind of shops really need to be supported. There are so few of them left!

7. The Slapdash Sewist July 2, 2013 at 21:39 #

I can’t wait to see this happening in person! Maybe I need to save up some hemming…

8. Nancy Karpen July 2, 2013 at 21:56 #

I love my coverstitch machine and recommend one highly. I would never have sewn as many knits as I do without it. I hated that double needle. I have the Janome 1000cs and I love it.
    I really never considered a blindstich machine, but it sounds great. I’ll have to look around for one.

9. ClaireOKC July 2, 2013 at 22:45 #

Yeah those blind hem machines are pretty neat. Lucky you!

10. Heather July 3, 2013 at 00:20 #

I didn’t know there was such a thing as a blind stich machine. And now you say it is ‘life changing’. Dammit. I mean, I’m happy for you and all, but I already want a coverstitch. Do I really need to add another machine to the list? Sheesh. :)

11. Claire (aka Seemane) July 3, 2013 at 03:29 #

Woohoo – awesome! Re: coverstitch stuff Debbie has a great section on her blog here: http://stitchesandseams.blogspot.co.uk/2001/01/coverstitch-all-stuff.html – it includes great comparision chart of different makes/models of machine. I know that Elizabeth over at SEWN blog has a Brother model, maybe you could ask her how she gets on with hers? :)

12. themateriallady July 3, 2013 at 05:42 #

That machine looks like it is worth its weight in gold! Great that you have found a really good repair shop too (possibly even more useful :) )

13. Vivian July 3, 2013 at 10:09 #

I made most of my clothes in my high shool years and always said that the day I learned you could hem pants, skirts and jacket linings by machine was the greatest day of my sewing life!! You’re gonna rock that machine — what a great investment!

I’ve been reading your blog for inspiration — I want (no, need) to get back to sewing clothes (I’ve been quilting for the last umpteen years) and love seeing what you make.

14. Colleen P. July 3, 2013 at 10:28 #

I had a sneaking suspicion that if you got it to work you’d fall in love! LOL! So glad it’s up and running, and every time you use it you’ll be glad you spent the money. The time you’ll save was clearly worth this investment.

15. gingermakes July 3, 2013 at 12:51 #

How cool! What an exciting purchase!

16. DeDe July 3, 2013 at 14:12 #

That’s great! I have the coverstitch, now I want a blind hemmer!!! Thanks for the encouragement.

17. Elizabeth July 3, 2013 at 17:16 #

Well, now I know who I’ll be coming to harass when I need hem repairs. :-) Swap for dog sitting? :-)

18. Alison July 4, 2013 at 06:37 #

Love my Janome coverstitch machine. So easy to thread and use. In fact, it takes longer to get it out of the box and thread it than it does to sew the hems! No joke. But don’t get the Brother. I’ve sewn on one and it was cr@p. JMHO.

19. Belinda B. July 5, 2013 at 09:11 #

The repairman at Stadham was not able to service my Kansai coverstitch machine so I’m still looking for a repairman. Have fun with your blind hem machine it turned out to be a good purchase.

20. Belinda B. July 5, 2013 at 09:17 #

21. Pella July 5, 2013 at 19:14 #

Its a fair few years since I’ve used a blind hemmer, but I feel your joy. Imagine not having to dread hemming.

22. Myra July 6, 2013 at 13:02 #

Congratulations on your repaired blind hemmer! I too want to get a cover stitch machine because I love knits and know this machine is a “must have” for knits!

23. Kenneth D. King July 6, 2013 at 18:59 #

The blind hemmer is also excellent for doing really fast pad stitching when doing tailoring. Try it!

24. June July 7, 2013 at 20:43 #

Huzzah! Glad it’s working better for you.

Re the coverstitch – you’ll no doubt look into the Janome Coverpro. It’s wildly popular, lots of accessories, the price is right, etc. But… They are fussy, fussy little creatures. I’ve had mine for a couple years and STILL can’t get it to work right 100% of the time. I’ve thrown money at it and a boatload of time, read the long thread on PR, etc. and I still often regret not going for the Babylock. Just saying.

25. Carolyn July 13, 2013 at 21:20 #

Hiya!

I have an opinion question for you. You’ve totally got me into the idea of getting a blind hemmer (you’re such a bad influence!). I’ve just now found one for sale on my local kijiji site for $275. It’s only been used apparently about 10 times and has been fully serviced. Funnily enough, it was serviced by the owner of the store in back of which I rent space for my sewing room (my fabric & sewing paraphernalia stash frighten my husband and would take over our condo, hence off-site space) and I know if he serviced it, it’s in great condition. So, my question to you is, would you have been willing to pay $275 for your blind hemmer? (I’m going to ask the opinion of the store owner who serviced it too).

• Miss Celie July 20, 2013 at 09:19 #

Sorry I am late in responding. But, yes. I think it’s worth it. A babylock blind hemmer which is a home model with a straight needle goes for over 200 on eBay. I’ve used mine half a dozen times in the last two weeks. It’s just super convenient and does a better job than I can do myself.

Sent from my iPad

26. Janis July 19, 2013 at 18:25 #

La, la, la, la, la, la…I can’t hear you! LOL, seriously, I have no room for another machine, but it’s so tempting!

27. Kaylene July 21, 2013 at 20:19 #

You tempt me to get a blind hemmer. I will watch for one on ebay. I have a babylock coverstitich machine, Using Debbie Cooks tutorials, I do very professional looking binding on knits. It is actually stunning. You could never in a million years mistake it for home sewing. Looks very professional. I cut a pattern from a favorite polar fleece nightgown, worn out, that I hung onto for 10 years. Sewed it and put binding on the hem, neckline and end of sleeves. Looked like a million bucks. Of course, no one to see me in the nightgown. But it fit good and felt good. And was perfect to sleep in.

1. Jumping on the Hawthorn & Blogging Bandwagon | The Modern Mantua-Maker - August 5, 2013

[…] new (to me) with the facing.  Just a few days ago I got a blind hemming machine!  Whee!  It was Cidell’s fault (not really, but she inspired me to think more seriously about it than before).  She […]