Meet Us in Richmond!

13 Jan

It’s another Trena and Renee road trip. This time, to a museum.

kate_winslett_titanic_costume_700

The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts has a super-sounding Hollywood Costume exhibit through February 17th.

Organized by the Victoria & Albert Museum, London, Hollywood Costume explores the central role costume design plays in cinematic storytelling. Bringing together the most iconic costumes from a century of cinema, it is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see the clothes worn by unforgettable and beloved characters in films such as The Wizard of Oz, The Birds, My Fair Lady, Superman, Titanic, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince and The Dark Knight Rises.

You should know that I’m obsessed with the Wizard of Oz. I DIE!

WIZ001FT_dorothy_costume_1000

We’re driving down this Saturday (the 18th) if you’re interested in meeting us there. We think we’ll be there around 1:00 p.m. (following lunch — hopefully at Bottom’s Up). If you’re interested, leave a comment here or email me at missceliespants at gmail dot com.

And, if you’re wondering, we hope to do another Fabric Mart trip and go see this Costumes of Downton Abby exhibition after it opens. Let’s hear it for the east coast and most things being withing a three hour drive!

17 Responses to “Meet Us in Richmond!”

1. meagangracie January 13, 2014 at 15:15 #

Oh man – I seriously hope I can make this work, but I think my husband has a surprise planned for me on Saturday so I can’t even ask about it yet…

2. Ilse Moore January 13, 2014 at 15:22 #

Have fun. So envious

3. Kathy January 13, 2014 at 15:31 #

I’ll keep my ears open to hear when plans are settled up for Fabric Mart day trip… and to see the Downton Abbey costumes… yes, please! Enjoy the trip to VA!

4. KimP January 13, 2014 at 15:32 #

I wish I could meet y’all in person; I live in Richmond but already have plans that day. My review of the exhibit here: http://cottoncreeksewing.blogspot.com/2013/11/hollywood-comes-to-town-coat-update.html

5. Linda Turske January 13, 2014 at 15:39 #

I would definitely be interested in driving 7 hours over to attend the Downton Abbey visit! And fabric store visits are just a bonus! :)

6. Heather Jansen January 13, 2014 at 16:19 #

I would be interested in the next two!

7. Meigan January 13, 2014 at 16:34 #

I would love to join you! Keep me updated with the details!!

8. Toby Wlollin January 13, 2014 at 17:51 #

Renee — I already want to come down for the Winterthur exhibit and I could come down to Fabricmart as well. Keep me updated on the plans. Thanks.

9. lsaspacey January 13, 2014 at 19:12 #

Having seen the exhibit last year, maybe I can make it there for the lunch, keep us updated!

10. Diane A January 13, 2014 at 22:57 #

Hi Renee, I’m sitting here in New Mexico drooling. How I wish I could meet you for such a fun outing. If I drive 3 hours in any direction I am in the middle of nowhere New Mexico. It does have it’s advantages but fabric and museum exhibits aren’t in the mix. Have a blast.
    Diane

11. Elizabeth January 13, 2014 at 23:11 #

Thank you! Love all your posts! Can you tell me where Fabric Mart is located? We just moved back to Maryland and it sounds fairly close to us.
    Please keep us posted on the Costumes of Downton trip – I would love to go!

12. themateriallady January 14, 2014 at 07:44 #

I saw this when it was at the V&A . You ladies are in for a treat. I hope you all have fun :)

13. Becky January 14, 2014 at 11:24 #

I’m so excited about that Downton exhibit– something cool and kind of sewing-related that’s actually in my state!! That doesn’t happen much!

The Richmond exhibit sounds neat, I hope you enjoy it!

14. Jane's sew & tell January 14, 2014 at 17:50 #

I saw that at the V&A. It’s fab!

15. tommied January 14, 2014 at 20:13 #

Yay! I would love to go to the exhibit! Please let me know the details!

16. Susan January 15, 2014 at 18:02 #

I saw this at the V & A, allow plenty of time so that you can read and see everything. The exhibition is put together really well. I saw it 3 times. You are going to have a wonderful time. Enjoy.

17. Rachel January 16, 2014 at 03:34 #

Enjoy the exhibition! I saw it at the V&A last year and enjoyed it. Quite overwhelming though so do allow plenty of time. I’m interested to hear how you find the curation of it. Incidentally, there was an event here where a load of ladies went to the exhibition dressed as Dorothy – looked great fun! Rachel :-)