As I mentioned, I spent the weekend sewing at Trena‘s in DC. Great fun. But, I think she was glad to see me go since we stayed up until midnight and I woke up at 7:00 a.m. and can’t sit still when I am up that early. I’m such a bad houseguest. It’s my stupid internal clock! I can’t turn it off!
At any rate, I made great headway on 10-2007-105. I’ll work on it this afternoon (I need to find a copy of my bookclub book, ‘For Whom the Bell Tolls’ and clean since I’m hosting this Friday night). In the meantime, I thought I could show you two pretty important construction notes that BWOF doesn’t tell you.
The first deals with a curved neckline. I think on principle, you should always stabilize a curved neckline with fusible tape. I placed mine along the seamline at the neckline. The neck will get a lot of pull and it’s on the bias so it can easily stretch out. Also, if you understictch your lining to prevent it from rolling out you are really gonna put strain on this curve and it will gape and that is just not pretty.
Second, use something to stabilize the pocket openings. This could easily get all stretched out and gross without some stabilizing. Wanna know a secret? I didn’t learn that until last year. Yeah, that’s right. I’ve had gaping pockets until this year. I always thought it was my hips making that happen. Oy. Now, I’m using some fancy mail order stuff. But, in the past I just cut interfacing on the bias and used that too.
Third, my wool is super ravelly. I’m not sure of the full content as I bought it from the the G Street $2.97 table a few months a go. So for this and for September’s #117 I serged each piece individually vs. serging my seams together. I think for wool it makes the pressing easier, reduces bulk and looks more tailored. Yes, it takes an extra 30 minutes, but I love the result.
Finally, there is more than one way to skin a cat. BWOF instuctions call for sewing up the sideseams of the dress and then attaching the pockets. I found that a little hard to understitch the top and bottom of the pocket bag (don’t want that rolling out) with the seam already closed.
So on my second go round, I attached the pocket bag to the opening first, understiched the bag, stitched the pocket bags closed and then closed up the seam. Both will work, it’s just a matter of preference.
I’ve again got to go to my low rent version of Summerset‘s Parting Shot. Yesterday while Trena and I played ANTM, I paid tribute in one pose to the fabulous Erica B. (I was totally backlit so it’s kind of dark).
And here is an actual pose vs. my model walk. I wanted to post this photo because I forgot to mention in yesterday’s post that I had to grade up almost two sizes in the thigh (about two inches). I wanted to show that this dress really can work for a pear shaped figure. It’s just a matter of having it fit correctly. I was literally busting seams on my usual 38!
Ok. I promise no more pictures of me today. It’s just that I really, really like this dress.