Posted in sewing

Voting and Vest Update

ETA: Fusible bias tape from The Sewing Place

So, today is a loooong post. But, there’s a poll at the end for the patient!

First, the sewing updates. Construction on the vest is well underway. Over the weekend I even made my welt pockets. They are not as pretty as they were when I made my vest/cape last year (I neglected to take a practice run). But, they will do. What I did not do, was interface the pocket opening!

Marji to the rescue. Here’s what she told me to do:

Hang or pin the front up and let it be vertical for awhile. Does that welt have a tendency to droop? If so, then cut some 1″ wide strips of interfacing and
either fuse them to the organza right up against your stitching lines, or stitch
them to the inside of the vest, on top of the organza, one hair of a stitching
line inside your original stitching line only on the sides and bottom of your
box.

And, that’s what I did. Whew.

I also took her and Shannon’s terrific advice on the underarm curve stabilization. I used a fusible bias tape along the seam line on both the seersucker and the silk organza.

I mentioned that I wasn’t sure about stabilizing the roll line of the collar. Marji pointed out that it’s a sew on collar, so no roll line to worry about on this on. The facing and lining are also done. So immediate next steps are to make the shoulder ruffles and attach them.


I would like to think I could get more done this week / weekend, but it’s doubtful. Saturday afternoon I’m going to see the Color Purple with Dandy (my lovely neighbors Dan and Randy) and that night I’m going to the Center Stage Gala (I was generously gifted two tickets). My date (the supercute guy who likes women in vests) has some crazy notion about picking me up at my house. Which means I am bailing on golf Saturday morning and will spend the next three nights and Saturday morning cleaning and doing yard work. Sigh.

I’ll be wearing my formal dress from December (new crowd, new date). But, it leads me to another voting session for you all.

I need another black tie dress before 2008 ends and to wear again next May. I’ve got three dresses in mind.

This OOP retro Vogue 2609. I’m sold on the back and two tone. But, the godets just eat fabric and I’ve never made them before. We’re talking 5+ yards of (likely) silk charmeuse.


This retro OOP Butterick 6410. I love the drape of the sleeves and the adorable matching jacket (although I probably wouldn’t make up the jacket). And, again, a colorblocked dress. Also, no godets. Fabric count is about 3 yards. I also saw a really nice quality poly stretch satin that could work for these three.


And Marji has kindly offered me this OOP Vogue 2241. Superelegant. And again, I love that back and the way the skirt flares and drapes. Also needs between 4 3/8 to 5 1/2 yards of fabric.

Clearly, two of them need special undergarment rigging and all three a short-term commitment to Slim Fast. But, I honestly like ALL of them. I’m going to NYC in June where better fabric shoppers will be with me. So, let the voting begin!

Advertisements