I’m totally not getting this project done by the time I go back to work on Monday. Boo! I’m actually went out for New Year’s for the first time in years. Well, if by ‘out’ you mean ‘working’ then I went out. I was at the Inner Harbor for the fireworks and I wish wish wish my coat had been ready. You see, I took a boat in from west shore into the Harbor and was much colder on the water.
I’ve also been sacked the last three days with a cold and an infection. Which once I could keep my head erect like a small baby allowed me to read through some of my construction books.
I stumbled quite accidentally on this technique for drafting and sewing the belt, sleeve tabs and loops in my Bunka textbook on Coats and Capes.
You see, the top loop using Burda’s method (which is meant to have a button sewn on it). Fat and thick and kind of happy hands at home. I was going to my friend Lilya’s shop to use her coverstitch. I thought this would give me nice thin loops like jeans. But, not wanting to leave the house, I tried this method.
You fold your fabric in thirds, with the selvedge as your outside, finished edge. No finishing. Nice, eh? The loops are cut 2 to 3 cm longer than the belt. Bunka also recommends reinforcing the loop placement with interfacing. Which makes total sense. It just didn’t occur to me.
I also made my belt using their directions.
You see, you sew it wrong sides together and then roll the seam to the middle. You’ll then sew the point at the seam.
Comparison of the Bunka method and my slapdash Burda method for making the points on the sleeve tabs. I don’t know why my first looks so terrible. But, I’m now sold on this new (to me) method.
- set in sleeves (tie interfacing ordered)
- interface hem allowance (to use wiggan or no….)
- make vent (wish this was a pleat instead)
- line (shiver)
- sew buttonholes (again with the shivers)
I think if I focus, two weeks *tops*.