Can you imagine!?! Between last night and today I’m down to sewing on buttons! YAY!!! I’m totally going to be done this weekend. Good. Times. But, right now, I want to show you how I set in my coat sleeves.
Let me begin with this: I do not know or understand anything about sleeve cap ease. Yes, I have read the Fashion Incubator post on ease and I don’t really get it. I’ve never had a huge problem easing in sleeves so I don’t stress about it. I tend to ease them in flat and that generally works out well for me. When I read people have taken ease out of the cap, I shrug and keep reading. I don’t comprehend it. Perhaps it’s a mental block. I was definitely like that for years about fly front zippers.
For this coat, I wanted to try a different method for easing in my sleeves. I read about this in the Complete Guide to Sewing Jackets. You use a 1 1/2 inch wide bias strip of lambswool or hair canvas. I didn’t have either. But, I did have some drapery interlining from Haberman’s that I had used as tie interfacing.
First, I interfaced the hem by 2x the hem width. I then I added 1 1/4 inch width wigan. This wigan has been in my stash for the last two years.
The wigan provides structure to your sleeve hem and keeps it nice and crisp. I also added it to the bottom of my coat. It also allows the hem to turn nicely. For details on applying wigan, check Fashion Incubator.
You’ll anchor the strip in the sleeve cap where easing begins. Then, pulling the strip taught, sew it to the sleeve cap.
When you release the strip, the sleeve is nicely eased. The bias also provides a touch of extra structure to the coat. It sewed in perfectly!
I also added a sleeve head and hand sewed in shoulder pads. I actually think my melton is heavy enough not to need the sleevehead. But, when in Rome….
Here, you can see my shoulder pad extends a bit into the sleeve.
Finally, I was at American Apparel this week and saw one of the better store made garments I’ve seen in a while. It’s a Melton wool cape. It had thick satin lining and weighed an absolute ton. It was also $155. I would have bought it if I didn’t sew and you know, had the money. I’m feeling very good about the $120 I’ve invested in my coat.