In a conversation a few weeks ago with Trena we both came to the conclusion that our eyesight was changing and it may be time for readers. This was ever more clear to me with my recent blind hemmer purchase. What? I got a blind hemmer? Yeah… I did.
This is a Chandler Mini Skipper. It has a curved needle that I spend about 30 minutes trying to thread. I remember as a child my mom would have me thread her hand sewing needles. I thought it was such a joke. I mean, who can’t thread a needle? I’ll tell you who can’t. ME.
- Perfect or sewing all weights of materials including synthetics, woolens, cottons, fabrics and knits
- 1 to 1 non-skip stitches, typical operations include felling edge tapes, bottoms of trousers, cuffs, wigging in sleeves, facings to canvas and knit goods, turned-up bottoms of fully lined coats, padding collars and lapels, and reinforcing trouser seats
- 2 to 1 skip stitch for hemming dresses, skirts, slacks, trousers, sportswear, ladies coats, draperies, blouses and other articles
- Suitable for felling operations requiring a skip stitch to simulate hand-stitching
- 2 to 1 skip stitch is recommended for synthetics and other lightweight materials and 1 to 1 for heavier cotton, woolen and linen goods
I got this for $90 on eBay. It’s a Made in Japan vintage model for a company based in Massachusetts. It’s heavy as a toddler at 30 lbs and runs seemingly quiet for a machine of its size and age. Yet, I can’t tell you how it works. Using YouTube I was able to figure out how to thread it. But, the needle isn’t picking up the fabric. I’m going to take it to the industrial shop here in Baltimore next month and get it cleaned up and hopefully ‘fixed’.
I don’t know what struck me about getting this machine when at this point in my life I should be shedding things. But, I hate hand stitching. I’ve always been underwhelmed by a zig zag sewing machine’s blind hem. When I was picking up my (still needing a review) Babylock Serger, the sales lady was talking about losing a bid for a BabyLock Blind Hemmer for $150 on ebay. Based on that conversation and the interweb discussions, I decided I wanted one. Impulse? I guess if you decide over a month to buy something, than it was an impulse purchase 😀
Like my serger, I’ll let you know what I think. Hopefully this one isn’t a total dud.