I forgot how much I love the Hot Patterns Cosmopolitan Dress. And, I am apparently never going to make good on my commitment to swear off poly knits. I made this dress twice over the weekend and twice about seven years ago. Spring is slowly coming and I wanted to try this dress out again in poly before I cut into silk jersey.
While OOP, it’s readily available on Etsy and Ebay (and I suspect a lot of stashes). A newer alternative might bethe Lady Skater dress. Very similar lines I think.
- Bust darts for the win!
- Defined waist band with great shaping.
- LOVE the scoop neckline.
- Somehow, no ‘real’ FBA needed for me. But, I added 1/2 inch of length to the bodice on the blue and gold version. The waistline seam wasrightundermybewbs <– See what I did there?
- Shortened bust and back darts by 1/2 inch
- Raised neckline by 2.5 inches (might lower it 1/2 inch)
- Made more of a U than V shape to the neckline
- Added five inches to the shorter length (might cut that an inch)
- Cut the back on the fold
- Skipped the facings and self-lined the bodice and waistband. I wanted a beefier top so my newly acquired back ripples aren’t on display.
- Used $1 a yard tricot to line the skirt. I hate clingy knit skirt. Not cute.
- Did not hem a t’ing. It’s a knit! I hate hemming knits. Even with a coverstitch.
- Reduced the enclosed seam allowance at the waist and neckline to 1/4 inch
- Sewed on my sewing machine and finished on my serger
Both fabrics were purchased and sewn within the last six months. The grey is a poly knit from FabricMart (no longer available). It had a coordinating mini print too. That would have been my waistline and sash (or sleeves too??) But, PEOPLE BOUGHT ALL OF IT before I could get some. The blue and gold is from Jomar in Philadelphia. I like the composition of the grey fabric better. Much beefier. I like the colors on the blue and gold better (and they are my sorority colors Eee-Yip!).
I’m still working on the shape of the neckline. I want a very distinct U. I might cut the bodice one last time from some scraps to see if I have got the look I want.
No ‘real’ photos of me in the dress. Sunday is a hair wash day and it’s still too dark to take photos when I get home from work in the evening. But, here’s an elevator pic I posted on Instagram. Still wearing boots in the end of April if you can imagine. I got a gabillion compliments yesterday. Probably because I’ve only worn jeans and sweaters the last six months.
And for those of you who have texted, tweeted and emailed about the truly sad and sobering state of affairs in Baltimore city right now and the foolishness that persists, Jordan and I okay. I’m at work. We’re walking our dog at night and sleeping in our home.