Posted in Uncategorized

A Clown’s Muslin


That, my friends, is how Marji described my two-tone coat muslin after I e-mailed her a photo. How, you may ask, did I end up with a muslin that’s two colors, too small and with seam allowances that don’t know if they want to be in or out?

Well, Saturday night I slept with my front door open waiting for the paint to dry. The security door was locked and the alarm was on. But, I had trouble sleeping. So, when I woke up around 3:00 a.m., I decided to make a muslin.

This, is why you don’t sew at 3:00 a.m. The white stuff is pattern ease and the red is some twill from the stash. I couldn’t get the red muslin to work (because I was drunk with sleep) so I sewed up the actual pattern I traced off so I could double check my measurements and markings. Ummm, brilliant.

Oh, and those pants? Those are my gardening / painting overalls. I’ve had them for seven years.

Marji suggested I, “make it one color, mark the thing with a center seam she could see, and put on the skirt” so I would have something that she “could actually look at”. The email and follow up verbal reinforcement had me rolling. At any rate, I traced off the new size this morning before work and did a flat measure. The sizing is better. Hopefully I’ll get some time this week to actually cut and sew a new muslin.

Posted in Uncategorized

Mid Course Correction

I’ve decided to make a different coat for the Coat Sew Along. Why? Well, I’m short the fabric I need to make the full-length trench I had my heart set on and I decided to find a pattern with raglan sleeves since the fabric might be difficult to ease.
Burda Easy Fashion Magazine, Fall 2007/ Winter 2008 edition (sold out from GLP News, but maybe available through GCNEws?
I’m going to make this coat #1F. I’m going to extend the sleeves to full-length. The origami trim will be the reverse of the fabric so I can show off the stripes. Easy Fashion is only available in German and Russian from GLP News. But, I am sure I can sort this out (I have the German edition).

I should get cracking on that muslin soon, hunh?



I also made a muslin of swim shorts today from a 2005 Patrones (July-August #234). It took 5 minutes to trace and 5 minutes to construct on my serger. Attaching the elastic on my zig-zag maybe took 20. I had no idea swim shorts were so easy. It’s just ONE pattern piece! There is *no* side seam!

I’ve always wanted to wear swim shorts, but they never seemed to have enough coverage over the cheeks and always seemed so tight around the thigh (think sausage in casing). There is some wrinkling in the crotch (believe me, the direction of the stripes down there were unintentional) that I wouldn’t mind eliminating. But, I’m not sure the cause.

These were made using some sweatshirt fabric I had laying around.

  • I added 1/2 inch to the length of the leg and two inches to the center back seam to accommodate for my full seat
  • Removed one inch from the center front so they would sit a little lower on the waist
  • I traced the largest size, a 48.

I don’t know that these are the MOST flattering for my body type. But, I love the coverage, the no-ride factor and the sporty feel. I’ll work on a muslin for a top soon.


My water is back on! But, I’m still stripping paint from the front door. Maybe painting by next weekend.