The Infinity Scarf is INgenius!

15 Dec

About two years ago a younger, hipper, cooler friend of mine was wearing a piece of fabric on her neck from American Apparel. It was just a circle of knit fabric. I thought it was the dumbest thing I’d ever seen. Then, being the trend hog that I am, I got on board and am now the conductor on the circle /  infinity scarf train.

There are so many ways you can wear it (as modeled by my friend Chezia below). And best of all, it takes 30 minutes to make. I used Joann’s knit from the stash that I bought on clearance this summer for like $3 a yard. Checked measurements on line of various scarves and sewed the whole thing up on my serger. There are more ways than what I did with the scarf below.

One big loop. Should be about a foot shorter than this for most people — falling between knee and hip.

Doubled

Tripled

As a hooded scarf

Doubled for a wrap

Wrapped as a top / beach coverup

Neck cozy and wrap

If so inclined, even a headwrap

This one is my Secret Santa gift for work. I made a cream one for myself.  To be honest, the cream was going to the woman at work, but she’s short, pale with blond and occasionally red hair. It occurred to me that the cream I loved on me might blend in on her.

If you need a quick and easy gift, make an infinity scarf! I haven’t had time to write and photograph a full tutorial. But, generally, you want to make the fabric wide. You’ll want it to be at least 12 inches wide when folded (so cut at least 24 inches width). Even wider if you’re interested in things like the dress or skirt options. When sewn together, you want the loop to reach between the knee and the hip. Again, this will depend on the person’s height.

If there are still questions out there, I can try and detail with some photos over the weekend.

32 Responses to “The Infinity Scarf is INgenius!”

1. lin3arossa December 15, 2009 at 09:04 #

Very interesting! Although I think the layered styles are more for the skinnier among us. Nice tip!

2. Sheri Maple December 15, 2009 at 09:23 #

I think this is a great idea. There are days when you are having a bad day particularly when it is a rainy one and need a convertible article of clothing that can go from a scarf to a head wrap in a snap. Thanks for the idea.

3. ConnieB December 15, 2009 at 10:20 #

Well my skinny daughters and nieces are definitely getting these for Christmas! Cute!

4. Gorgeous Things December 15, 2009 at 10:24 #

That is beyond cute! I think I’ll make a couple for stocking stuffers. Thanks!

5. Heather December 15, 2009 at 10:41 #

Ahaaa! You’ve just given me an idea for my S-i-L’s Christmas gift! THANK YOU!!!! ;-D This is really cute, btw!

6. Angie R December 15, 2009 at 11:28 #

Eternal dopeness!!

7. amber December 15, 2009 at 11:38 #

That fabric choice is definitely better than the cream for a pale blonde. So cute!

xoxo,
    The pasty white gal from Cali ;)

8. Erica B. December 15, 2009 at 12:06 #

That’s very cool. I thought about knitting one… I even casted on. I don’t think it’s going to happen. Sewing one may be my best bet.

9. Susan - Knitters Delight December 15, 2009 at 14:18 #

I really love the knitted versions on Ravelry. Although, I’m with Erica B – scarfs are so long and this project would probably take me longer than knitting an entire sweater. Beautiful, though.

10. Marji December 15, 2009 at 14:29 #

I see others beat me to it…I was going to say that for a slightly longer-time-to-make version click on Ravelry and type infinity in the pattern search box. Tons of wraps and scarves come back. Most interesting are the braided challa types.
    This looks infinitely faster and easier, trust me!

11. Patty December 15, 2009 at 15:17 #

Love this! One question tho: did you sew it in a simple circle or with one twist like a moebius?

• cidell December 15, 2009 at 16:17 #

Simple circle! If I were doing a very short version — like chest length, I would add a twist.

12. Carol December 15, 2009 at 16:00 #

I’ve knitted a smaller one of these and I really liked it, but this larger version is truly brilliant. As I have to make a secret santa gift for a short, fat, gray haired woman I think I will have to steal your inspiration. I love the fabric you’ve used.

13. ConnieB December 15, 2009 at 17:32 #

adding… I went to American Apparel today and checked these out. Honestly- it had been on my to do list for today for a week now!
    At AA it is simply a tube of fabric. No finished edges or any thing. Also, the cut edge on the one I looked at was crooked. REALLY CROOKED!
    So Renee, I went to the fabric store and purchased 76$ worth of knits for Infinity scarfs. I think everyone I know is getting one. Thanks a lot woman!

14. Edris December 15, 2009 at 18:57 #

Thanks so much Cidell! That was fast. I have a striped knit that may work for this. I need to go check one out to make sure I get it right. Thanks for the inspiration – I will be giving out a few of these out as well.

15. Marjie December 15, 2009 at 20:52 #

Cute idea! My girls would love this!

16. Maggie December 15, 2009 at 22:09 #

Love the scarf. And I am so happy you are back sewing. The sweatshirt dress is cute on you and your pants turned out so well also.

17. Sarah N December 16, 2009 at 07:00 #

That is a fantastic idea. I’m absolutely making one for my husband’s cousin who I know only well enough to know that she would like it.

18. Summerset December 16, 2009 at 07:13 #

Smart and right on trend!

19. Auntie Allyn December 16, 2009 at 07:57 #

Brilliant! I think I’ll try a few of these for myself!

20. Angela December 16, 2009 at 13:55 #

Nice! I love the print on this pictured one! I saw it at American Apparel, too, but wasn’t that interested in it… but now I need to look at it again. :)

21. Meredith P December 16, 2009 at 19:01 #

This is timely. I was just sitting here thinking about a gift for someone who has everything. I also have some fabric which will be perfect (I think) for her coloring. Thank you!

22. clf December 17, 2009 at 12:45 #

Lovely! I looked at the the American Apparel demo and it seems as though that scarf has raw edges and its width is about 40 inches (because she doubles it over to make a skirt). That scarf appears to be just one layer of fabric with raw or selvedge edges. Does your scarf have raw edges or is it completely enclosed? Is it a long lengthwise fabric tube (long seam sewn on the grain) with edges that are then enclosed (shorter seam, sewn on the crossgrain)? Or is it one long piece on the grain that is then connected by sewing a seam on the crossgrain?

23. RuthieK December 17, 2009 at 17:53 #

Very interesting. Yes I am feeling kinda stoopid and would appreciate really detailed instructions when you have some time to do them.

24. Katie December 18, 2009 at 18:49 #

I LOVE this!

25. Kate S December 23, 2009 at 18:27 #

Cool scarf. I haven’t seen anything like this yet in Australia (maybe because its summer over here). If you get a chance I would love detailed instructions too! Maybe I’ll be ahead of fashion trends for once ;)

26. Elizabeth December 29, 2009 at 00:36 #

Very cool idea. these might be presents for people all year long! thanks for sharing this.

27. sensoussi January 8, 2010 at 08:48 #

Hello, you’r so nice with this scarf…., some call it magic scarf here!
    I like the next burda dress with two plits in front

1. Lazy Gift « Miss Celie’s Pants - April 19, 2010

[...] made several of these around Christmas as gifts. This time, I just did one seam. The dimensions I copied from the American Apparel [...]

2. To Infinity and beyond… « Handmade by Freya - October 27, 2010

[...] buy them from American Apparel – for nearly thirty pounds. Mine cost me £2.50. Enough said. Miss Celie Pants shows you how to wear them and the reason they are called infinity [...]

3. The Gifts are Done « Nomadic Stitches - December 24, 2010

[...] The out of province teenage cousins need presents too. Last year, Cidell’s post about the Infinity scarf inspired me to make a couple of my own. So I made those for the sixteen year old [...]

4. Pattern Review: Simplicity 5259 (The Cashmere Curse that became a Goddess) | SEWN - November 17, 2011

[...] we both bought at Mood into a scarf.  So I made one.  I was going to make one of Cidell’s infinity scarves, but once made I thought it was the wrong proportions for me.  So, I just cut it open and am using [...]