Dinner in the City

6 Oct

I’m back in New York for the weekend.  And, because I’ve watched too many late night news programs about people who post on Facebook and Twitter about travelling only to have their homes ransacked while travelling, I’ll add that  I’ve got a male dog sitter,  born and bred in Baltimore who is totally in to P90X staying at my place. He and Linus can *take* you :) There mom, feel better?

Right o. I took the bus up to New York to have dinner with some of the Mood Sewing Network Bloggers. I’ve always wanted to be one of those people who says, ‘Oh. I’m having dinner in the city tonight.’  Heh. Specifically, I met up with  Oonaballoona ,  Ms. Carolyn and Meg from Mood. I’ve met dear Meg and Carolyn more times than I can count, but this my first time on the dance floor with Ms. Balloona. Can I just say, she had me at ‘musical theater’.  How can you not love someone who knows all the word to Miss Celie’s Pants  from the Color Purple on cue.

They picked this gorgeous tapas restaurant in Chelsea. After walking through the restaurant to be seated, it took me a minute to realize I was outside!

I don’t often post photos of food. But, can we talk about the beauty that is dessert? I am so not in to chocolate. It’s just ok. But, you put something creamy, tart and sweet in front of me and I’m about ready to start licking the plate.

I saw something lovely at Mood but will post more on that later.  And, I think I want to go back tomorrow (if I can talk my traveling companion in to it).

Why? Because I left this silk behind

And this brocade

Do you know the challenges of going through three floors of Mood in less than one hour? It’s like a dog at the faucet jut trying to get a drink. And, as discussed, I’m not good when overwhelmed with choice.

I did see Swatch… but he was having none of me

For now, I’m off to bed *yawns*.

Because on Saturday I’m heading to the Museum at FIT. Not only are they showing highlights from their collection, they have a second exhibit on Ivy League (preppy) style. I may enter fashion nirvana.

16 Responses to “Dinner in the City”

1. Jane's sew & tell October 6, 2012 at 04:05 #

I’m so jealous! Looks like the perfect weekend

2. didyoumakethat October 6, 2012 at 06:54 #

Fabulous! I am so jealous and crave another visit to New York and Mood. Such great company you were in! That restaurant looks amazing.

3. prttynpnk October 6, 2012 at 07:43 #

What fun! Both the brocade and dessert look yummy!

4. K-Line October 6, 2012 at 08:46 #

What a terrific post. And a gorgeous restaurant. I love how Oona’s hair does that perfect ringlet thing in every picture. It’s like she doesn’t know a bad hair day! :-)

5. Patti October 6, 2012 at 09:11 #

Lucky you! I sew wants be a ‘having dinner in the city’ kinda person … and in such great company also. Of course, I live in Utah so it isn’t gonna happen. I hope your whole weekend is great.

6. Becky October 6, 2012 at 09:34 #

Is that a gauze top? I love it! It is so flattering. If you made it, share, sister, share! Have a great weekend, and maybe you should go back and get that silk.

7. oonaballoona October 6, 2012 at 10:47 #

it was all i could do not to go through a musicale catalog with you on the subway platform. FABULOUS night!!! i hope you get back to that brocade today….

• Superannuated Sewing Student October 7, 2012 at 21:23 #

Manhattan makes everyone feel as if she’s in her own private musical. It’s an inherently dramatic place.

8. Steph October 6, 2012 at 12:19 #

Jealous!! Lucky you; sounds like a wonderful weekend. You even had your very own papparazi at the restaurant ;)

9. CaroleNo October 6, 2012 at 18:02 #

I’m jealous! Can you direct me to a good tutorial – I’m putting in an invisible zipper and I don’t know how to make sure the bodice seams line up on the dress.

• Superannuated Sewing Student October 7, 2012 at 21:25 #

Look for the tutorials that discuss basting the seam line. It’s a much more straightforward and foolproof method, if a bit more time-consuming.

10. wildlycraving October 6, 2012 at 21:37 #

I’d be weirdly jealous, if I hadn’t popped by G-Street earlier. (I really need to get up to see Mood in person, don’t I?)

Renee, I’ve just bought my first Burda pattern. It’s that peplum top and skirt that I pinned on Pinterest. (Bright yellow) Any tips on using their patterns?

11. Meg October 6, 2012 at 23:01 #

Laughing at Swatch’s expression! Don’t take it personally, that’s how he generally looks at the camera unless he’s being bribed.

Now, why don’t you live here in NYC? You really need to be here, R. And I hope you bought that brocade. It’s one of my personal faves.

12. gingermakes October 6, 2012 at 23:32 #

How fun! I’m so sad I missed seeing you guys! I’m excited to know what you think of the FIT exhibit!

13. Amanda October 8, 2012 at 20:36 #

Did you go back and get the fabrics? Ohh… I must know! Looks like such a rad evening!

14. sewplaysew October 12, 2012 at 21:04 #

Ooh, that Tapas places looked fancy schmancy! You got to meet Oona, my friend in my head, what fun!