I fear last time I left you with little sense of how my raincoat would look. From the BWOF editorial, I was worried it might look a little too dated. So, here’s another in-progress shot.
As you can see, I’ve done the elasticized waistband and added all the top stitching to the jacket in addition to the pockets. There are supposed to be four rows of elastic at the waist, but, despite making a muslin, I messed that up. Here’s hoping it’ll be fine! I’ve also got the under collar attached. The upper collar will be red like the rest of the jacket.
This jacket is SO SLOW GOING because of all the topstitching. I’ve been using my #10 edgestitch foot for the first pass. Then, I do a second row of topstitching with my #37 patchwork (1/4 inch) foot. Because the fabric moves a little yet doesn’t ease, I used my Bernina even feed walking foot for the casing.
Next: I’ll work on the zipper and easing in the sleeves. I’ll also need (well, want to) nicely finish the facing edges since the jacket is unlined. I also have this kooky idea of making up a matching rain hat since this doesn’t have a hood. Maybe I’ll just make an old school rain bonnet. I definitely have a pattern that could work (below). I figure I’ll be done in about two or three more weeks at the pace I’m going!